Scouting Report: WSU vs. Auburn's defense

Sid

There's a new defensive coordinator on the Alabama plains. We preview Ellis Johnson's defense and what it'll try and do against coach Mike Leach's Air Raid.

More at this link

Nice read. I want to see that author play against Stat in coach mode of NCAA 14. Should be a slobberknocker.

Line is Stat -35.5

Guy had tons of mistakes in his technique numbering system and had guys mis-labeled in several diagrams. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about though. ;)

Great link, some good information about our own defense. Another thing to note in this game is that the air raid attack uses offensive lineman playing with wide splits. This will require our DTs or blitzing LBs to apply pressure up the middle and will somewhat neutralize our speed rushers.

What concerns me about this game...Gus' O, when working, forces most teams, most "traditional O's" anyway, to change what they do to play catch up. Their O is designed to score a bunch of points also. If we do get a big lead, they won't have to change what they do. Talent wise, we should be in a better position. Coaching wise, we are in much better shape. However, they are running their systems for the second year. We are running our systems, in every phase of the game, for the first time. I know a lot of people are certain of a good guy blowout. I am hoping for that. In all honesty, I just want to survive the first one with a W. This game is a very key game to our season, IMO.

As far as our D is concerned, I have no doubt we will be a better squad. This is a huge adjustment, scheme wise, and I am watching to see how long it takes for the "light switch" to come on. Hopefully the switch will be clicked in August.

Game 1 should be a pretty goofy affair, two 3 win teams, 1 with new coaches & system, youngsters all over the field, 2 of the worst defenses in the nation last year, 18-22 yr olds jitters. Look for a mountain of mistakes and the game to be decided by turnovers. I'm almost fearing more the extrapolations on this board and from BSPN et al whatever the result (big win: "we're SEC title bound", loss: "what has Malzahn really ever done at Auburn without Cam") or even worse, the QB conclusions.

What concerns me about this game...Gus' O, when working, forces most teams, most "traditional O's" anyway, to change what they do to play catch up. Their O is designed to score a bunch of points also. If we do get a big lead, they won't have to change what they do. Talent wise, we should be in a better position. Coaching wise, we are in much better shape. However, they are running their systems for the second year. We are running our systems, in every phase of the game, for the first time. I know a lot of people are certain of a good guy blowout. I am hoping for that. In all honesty, I just want to survive the first one with a W. This game is a very key game to our season, IMO.

As far as our D is concerned, I have no doubt we will be a better squad. This is a huge adjustment, scheme wise, and I am watching to see how long it takes for the "light switch" to come on. Hopefully the switch will be clicked in August.

Agree. I don't think it's going to be easy as many think. I expect us to pull away in the second half but a close game winning by 3-10 points. Certainly hoping for a blowout though.

Agree. I don't think it's going to be easy as many think. I expect us to pull away in the second half but a close game winning by 3-10 points. Certainly hoping for a blowout though.

This is what I've been saying too. At this point, looking back at the previous 12 games, I'm ok with a W, no matter how close the final score is.

I heard Ellis Johnson said when we go to a dime package we would have 2 stars on the field with Garrett and Therezie on the field at the same time. Do y'all think we will see a lot of that this game?

I heard Ellis Johnson said when we go to a dime package we would have 2 stars on the field with Garrett and Therezie on the field at the same time. Do y'all think we will see a lot of that this game?

If I was the DC, I would. Make them try and beat you with their running game. If our DBs are the ball hawks that they have the potential to be, we could have a very large turnover margin and possibly a blowout. If they are more of the same as we've seen these past few years, it'll be a tight one. I still think that Gus will put up enough points to win, but it'll be close.

Personally, I think this game is close in the first half only. After that, our O will have worn their D completely out.

Not a blowout, but would not be surprised if we have a 42-28 game when all is said and done.

The cool thing with the 4-2-5 is you could have 3 Lb's or any combination of Lb, DB, and Star. I think the mike always stays and we can rotate in any personnel we need based on what the other team is doing. So we could run the nickle with a star or Cb depending on how much pass coverage we need. Can't wait to see us utilize it!

The cool thing with the 4-2-5 is you could have 3 Lb's or any combination of Lb, DB, and Star. I think the mike always stays and we can rotate in any personnel we need based on what the other team is doing. So we could run the nickle with a star or Cb depending on how much pass coverage we need. Can't wait to see us utilize it!

Anything is an upgrade from Tampa 2 !!

A nice analysis by someone working just with a bit of A-Day film. WSU will probably run as a last resort (at least that's been Leach's style) so as noted, it's probably going to be up the big 4 to stop the running game with some help from LBs. On the past however when we have over-loaded to stop the short passing game, someone has always hit us with a big run right up the middle on a draw or something. Gonna be interesting to see how we keep whatever running game they have under control.

How about we knock out the QB in the first quarter?!? Washington's o-line is not good at all. imo With the speed of an SEC D, send five and rock him early!

How about we knock out the QB in the first quarter?!? Washington's o-line is not good at all. imo With the speed of an SEC D, send five and rock him early!

I actually told my better half that if we don't take out their Qb before half time, I would be disappointed.

They will probably ding us a little with the short quick passes, but I expect our running game to totally wear them out on defense. I expect a blowout by 30+ points.

I actually told my better half that if we don't take out their Qb before half time, I would be disappointed.

We should use this philosophy when uat comes to town!!! Boy, I would Really love that!!

My GUESS would be no. I think you would want all the speed you could get out there......

We should use this philosophy when uat comes to town!!! Boy, I would Really love that!!

We should use it every game, my friend. Every game

what I remember of the air raid is that it is a lot of quick throws designed to get the ball out quick and let the wr's make plays in space. for that reason I think we play tight underneath coverage and force them to be able to protect the Qb and execute well enough to beat us over the top.

Great link, some good information about our own defense. Another thing to note in this game is that the air raid attack uses offensive lineman playing with wide splits. This will require our DTs or blitzing LBs to apply pressure up the middle and will somewhat neutralize our speed rushers.

One way to beat the wide split is to play four DE's using speed rush up the middle. Then just have your True DE's contain and keep everything in the pocket. Play tight coverage to prevent quick throw and beat up the QB. Throw in an LB blitz every now and then to help get to the QB.

Prediction:

Lawson gets into the game late because it's no longer close (one way or the other :rolleyes: ). His first play he blows apart would-be blockers utterly unprepared for the manimal. He Clowneys the ball carrier. Carl is thrown out of game by SEC officials grappling with the new head hunting punishment after his first play in college football. Every media outlet in the country pulls the story off the wire. The legend of Carl Lawson is born!

Archived