Stoops Complains About ESPN's Auburn Backing

JetaTek

Taken from http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1924527...

NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Tuesday college football poll voters should be aware that ESPN has a contract with the Southeastern Conference when they consider the cable sports network's analysis that Auburn should be the nation's No. 2 team and not Oklahoma.

Stoops mentioned ESPN's contract with the SEC during his weekly news conference, but stopped short of accusing the network of bias.

"I'm not saying that," Stoops said. "I'm saying I'm aware of what their contracts are with. Whether people are directed in certain ways, I'm not going to say that. I think all the people ought to be aware who their contracts are with and what some of their agendas may be."

Stoops would not say whether he thought ESPN altered its analysis to favor SEC teams, such as Auburn.

"That would be for everyone else to comment on, not me. I don't think that's appropriate," Stoops said. "I just understand TV and what happens with programs. Ratings matter. I don't know what to say about it."

Auburn, which had trailed Oklahoma in the AP media poll all season, moved even with the Sooners this week following a 24-6 win over Georgia, which had been No. 8. Oklahoma beat unranked Nebraska 30-3.

Oklahoma maintained its No. 2 spot in the coaches poll, although its lead was cut to two points over Auburn.

Asked whether he thought ESPN had an impact on poll voters, Stoops said, "It probably impacts some people."

"Surely, AP or the coaches are all aware everybody has agendas," he continued. "Anybody who's on TV has one. You know, that's viewership and ratings and those kinds of things. The closer it becomes, the better for them.

"I think it's fair to say, too, they have a contract with the SEC. I'm fully aware of that. I can't be the only one who recognizes that. It's impossible to remove agendas. They have producers and ratings. I don't know what impact they have, but I'm sure they have some."

You know, the U.S. never actually landed on the moon, either. :huh:

Great coach - but you didn't mention that ABC has a contract with the Big 12 did you? Nor did you mention that ABC is the channel the BCS is shown on?

Nor did you mention that ABC owns ESPN?

I am losing respect for Bob Stoops VERY quickly.

Seeing Bob run off the field against LSU at halftime trying to correct whoever it was talking to Bob about who had the #1 defense was laughable....stop crying, Bob.

I think the more he complains the more it will hurt them in the human polls. I bet if he took the high road and talked about just his team, he would have a better chance with his team. Tuberville just continues to say look what we have done in this extremely difficult SEC while Stoops complains that people have agendas. This can only help us in the human factor.

He isn't complaining about Mark May lobbying Adrian Peterson for the heisman, or all the OU is the top team and unstoppable press they got out of ESPN last year.

And like Chuck said, not complaining about ABC having the BCS contracts.

Taken from http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1924527...
NORMAN, Okla. -- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops said Tuesday college football poll voters should be aware that ESPN has a contract with the Southeastern Conference when they consider the cable sports network's analysis that Auburn should be the nation's No. 2 team and not Oklahoma.

Stoops mentioned ESPN's contract with the SEC during his weekly news conference, but stopped short of accusing the network of bias.

"I'm not saying that," Stoops said. "I'm saying I'm aware of what their contracts are with. Whether people are directed in certain ways, I'm not going to say that. I think all the people ought to be aware who their contracts are with and what some of their agendas may be."

Stoops would not say whether he thought ESPN altered its analysis to favor SEC teams, such as Auburn.

"That would be for everyone else to comment on, not me. I don't think that's appropriate," Stoops said. "I just understand TV and what happens with programs. Ratings matter. I don't know what to say about it."

Auburn, which had trailed Oklahoma in the AP media poll all season, moved even with the Sooners this week following a 24-6 win over Georgia, which had been No. 8. Oklahoma beat unranked Nebraska 30-3.

Oklahoma maintained its No. 2 spot in the coaches poll, although its lead was cut to two points over Auburn.

Asked whether he thought ESPN had an impact on poll voters, Stoops said, "It probably impacts some people."

"Surely, AP or the coaches are all aware everybody has agendas," he continued. "Anybody who's on TV has one. You know, that's viewership and ratings and those kinds of things. The closer it becomes, the better for them.

"I think it's fair to say, too, they have a contract with the SEC. I'm fully aware of that. I can't be the only one who recognizes that. It's impossible to remove agendas. They have producers and ratings. I don't know what impact they have, but I'm sure they have some."

You know, the U.S. never actually landed on the moon, either. :huh:

122754[/snapback]

http://www.apfn.org/apfn/moon.htm ;):poke:

Yeah and people are saying that Tuberville's "I wouldn't want to play us" comments are hurting him in the eyes of the coaches...sheesh! Look at Stoops!

i also just heard on the news that he is saying that take like the bottom five teams from our conf. and the bottom of theirs and they would have more wins and that also the top 5 in our conf. and there top 5 with there teams winning more; i think i heard that right just walked in on it so if its not feel free to correct. He also questioned if or how the SEC is the best and or toughest conf.

OU's:

2004 SCHEDULE

Sep 4 vs Bowling Green W, 40-24

Sep 11 vs Houston W, 63-13

Sep 18 vs Oregon W, 31-7

Oct 2 vs Texas Tech W, 28-13

Oct 9 vs Texas W, 12-0

Oct 16 at Kansas State W, 31-21

Oct 23 vs Kansas W, 41-10

Oct 30 at Oklahoma State W, 38-35

Nov 6 at Texas A&M W, 42-35

Nov 13 vs Nebraska W, 30-3

Nov 20 at Baylor 12:00 PM

AU's:

2004 SCHEDULE

Sep 4 vs Louisiana Monroe W, 31-0

Sep 11 at Mississippi St. W, 43-14

Sep 18 vs LSU W, 10-9

Sep 25 vs The Citadel W, 33-3

Oct 2 at Tennessee W, 34-10

Oct 9 vs Louisiana Tech W, 52-7

Oct 16 vs Arkansas W, 38-20

Oct 23 vs Kentucky W, 42-10

Oct 30 at Mississippi W, 35-14

Nov 13 vs Georgia W, 24-6

Nov 20 at Alabama 3:30 PM

what a b!tch. i never liked stoops under spurrier, and i couldn't stand that smug jack in 2000. thing is, he's only gotten worse. he just whines and moans so much. the thing at the half in a game he was getting pounded in where he wanted to point out some stat as to who the number one defense was... what a baby. stoops owns texas, and that's really the only big game he's won since the 2000 season. i really wish usc would lose b/c as much as i'd love to have another crack at them; i would enjoy making him whine again even more.

I love how the little b*****d first says,

and then he just totally contradicts himself by going on a tangent.

WHAT A B*TCH. :puke:

First of all this is my first post... So I really don't have any credibility

Well let me give Stoops some credit. Yes I'm tired of his accusations about ESPN's bias and how the SEC isn't any better than the Big 12. But let me try to show it from Bob Stoop's point of view. First of all, I grew up in Texas, and the only SEC team I knew of at that point was Auburn, because I have always been an Auburn fan. But at that time I thought the Big 12 was the best conference in America, until I came to Auburn and then I saw how tough the SEC really is. The SEC is pretty consistent in atleast having 3 ranked in the preseason polls and ranked throughout the season and sometimes more. The only ones in the Big 12 that are always there are OU and Texas.

Yes I know I haven't forgot about Nebraska, but they haven't done anything in the past couple years. But as far as Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State University, it's kind of iffy as far as Top 25 goes. Kansas State not impressive, Kansas not impressive, Colorado, Baylor definitely not impressive.

Texas A&M and OSU actually surprised me this year.

But as far as SEC goes,

Almost assured a ranking:

Auburn

Tennessee

Georgia

LSU

But back to Bob Stoops, I really think the game he is trying to play, and going the wrong way about doing it, is trying to make pollsters look down on the SEC so he doesn't have to play in another game with the SEC.

Especially after that humiliating loss to LSU.

Plus having to play two Tigers in a row is kind of scary too when you only have a puppy dog named "Boomer" as a mascot.

I think at this point he isn't necessarily trying to make sure he is in the NC as much as he wants to pick his opponent. Because face it, if he goes undefeated he is going to be in the NC, just because the computers have him so high. He just would rather play USC than Auburn.

War Eagle!!!!!! :au:

I just read this on an oklahoma football site. these guys are unbelievable.

"The arguments for Auburn over the Sooners end up just being talk. But it is talk that has swayed national perception to the side of the tigers over the Sooners. Auburn caught up with the Sooners in the AP poll this week. They made up a sizeable margin in the coach's poll as well."

yeah i guess its just the talk. i doubt the 18 point a** raping of a top 5 opponent had anything to do with it. go run the score up on baylor you gays.

I have yet to see Tuberville make a statement that accused Oklahoma of being in a conspiracy toward Auburn or belittle what Oklahoma has done on the field this year. Stoops is basically making a negative campaign against Auburn rather than supporting what his team has done on the field.

Really if you look through the last few years in broadcasting ABC is the only network that has had people in positions to be biased. Terry Bowden as in studio analyst. Lets not forget that it was also ABC's Saunders that on ESPN publicly made reference to Auburn University being in league with the KKK.

I also find OU's constant complaints that Rosegreen and Auburn is a group of criminals, especially given the incidents that occured under Switzer at OU and how well recieved he is by the fans and athletic department at OU.

Yeah and people are saying that Tuberville's "I wouldn't want to play us" comments are hurting him in the eyes of the coaches...sheesh!  Look at Stoops!

122780[/snapback]

This past weekend was the only time I have ever heard CTT say anything remotely close to sounding conceited about his team.

Yeah, he always praises his team for doing a good job, but he has always kept his composure and not let a comment like that come out...I am glad he said it though!

I wonder how many ESPN journalist have AP votes? I wonder it they apreciate Stoops blasting their integrity.

Stoops makes me remember why I hated Steve Spurrier only more so.

for him to not recognize the possibility that auburn's defeat of georgia had anything to do w/ our closing the gap on them is a little shallow, IMO.

sure ESPN guys were fawning over auburn this past weekend... they were at our house... we had just beaten the #5 team in the nation, soundly...

is that so hard to understand?

If you got it, flaunt it! I think CTT was just telling the truth when he said he'd hate to play us. Stoops belittles himself and his team when he makes a statement that he is going to run up score to impress voters. How many voters were impressed when, on 4th and 12 against Nebraska with about a 1:30 left, ahead 30-0, the game in hand, he's still got White throwing long. And how many snickered when it backfired, Nebraska zoomed down the field and kicked a field goal with time running out. That didn't impress any one and probably hurt OU in the eyes of the voters. AU, in the same situation, completely dominated a good UGA team, takes a knee and lets the clock run out. I've always said that running up the score impresses only the team that is doing it.

First of all this is my first post...  So I really don't have any credibility

122813[/snapback]

First of all, welcome aboard, Eagle Eye. And just because you're a newbie doesn't mean you have no credibility. I have far more posts than I ever thought I'd make, being on the quiet side most of the time, and the total extent of my football knowledge is probably less than most anybody on this board. But I always feel welcome and listened to.

You make a good point about the SEC having more perennially ranked teams than most any other conference. Unfortunately, the SEC has been off a little this year which has probably hurt us in some eyes. There are usually at least six very good, ranked teams in the conference. But Florida didn't represent to its norm this year and Tennessee looked less than impressive in a couple of its games in the east. In the west, besides Auburn and LSU, we can usually count on Bama, or Arkansas, or sometimes Ole Miss being ranked or above average. This hasn't been the SEC's best year, but I still think it is toughest conference in the nation over the long haul.

..and as for Stoops, I didn't hear him compaining when the Sooners got a free pass to the BCS championship last year over USC--only to get beat by their SEC opponent! [Maybe he's afraid USC will get skipped again this year and he'll have to take another whippin' from some SEC Tigers :D ]

If we get to the OB I would love a rematch with USC but after this I am starting to hope for them to lose so we can get OU cause I think we would stomp them.

--ESPN/ABC -together

--ABC has a contract w/ the Big XII. I'm willing to bet every cent I own that more people get ABC in their house than ESPN.

--ESPN has been to two OU games and two AU games w/ their Gameday crew.

--I sure hope Stoops' whining backfires on him. Tuberville's "whining" as OU fans have called it amounts to him saying that HE wouldn't want to play us.

I think Stoops is defintely feeling the pressure of Tiger paws behind him. OU has won them all and he's tried to run up the score as much as possible, and he's still losing ground. So now he is going the 'crybaby' route. When a coach brags on his own team's abilities, that says he has confidence in his team. When a coach starts crying about preferential treatment toward another good team, that is a sign of no confidence in his team. USC is the same way. I visited 'USC-R-US' or something stupid like that, everyone was complaining they were getting no respect from the Eastern US media. They were insulted that anyone would even question their right to be in 1st place.

AU is getting media attention because they deserve it. The sportcasters that are putting AU no 1 are doing so because they have seen all three teams play, and they realize AU is better. Plain and simple!!!!!

Stoops is a chump. He griped when Callahan of NU called time out to kick the field goal to make it 30-3. Funny I didn't hear him griping as OU was throwing the long pass 45 seconds before to "run it up" on the Cornhuskers. The margin of victory was taken out of the computer rankings from last years BCS formula. Don't you think the voters (coaches, espn, and the guys who make up the BCS) still take it into account? So really, it is still there, only unofficial. Next time Stoops needs to at least win his Conference Championship before playing in the Champ game. By the way, why were they number 2 to start this year anyway? Remember, stats (#1 defense comment from last year) are for chumps. All that matters is the final score. Do you think Bama would swap a #1 defense tag for a couple of more wins? Ask 'em.

Archived