2013 Fall Camp - Practice 7 & 8 (Thur Aug 8)

RunInRed

I bet jwall will handle it fine. He likely signed thinking he was behind kf for three years and and the idiot from Kentucky(name?) at the same time. I dont know how kf would handle losing the battle because he was always supposed to be the future. However he has had plenty of chances.

Zeke Pike.

Really excited to see whoever it is at quarterback, because regardless, it will be better than last year. Gus has a fantastic track record for making mediocre quarterbacks look better than they are, and making decent quarterbacks look great.

duh

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opnion if JJ is even close to the level of anyone else you might as well let him play. If no one is setting the world on fire and JJ is even a possibility to start he needs to start. No better way to get reps and experience then getting out there and playing.

Double-edged sword. No better way to get reps and experience, true. Also no better way than to ruin a QB than to throw them into the fire before they're ready. Don't know that would apply to JJ, and in fact I have been thinking along the same lines as you: Do you go with youth and prepare to win big later, or do you go with the player at QB who gives you the best chance to win right now? I'm thinking that building for the future is a luxury that a coach in the SEC at an upper tier program like AU probably doesn't have.

I do hope that regardless of who gets the starting nod we will see second and third string QBs get reps with first team OL and skill players in games if our Tigers are lucky enough to be up by relatively safe margins, say 21 or more at some point in the 4th quarter. I really expect the QB rotation to include Wallace, Frazier and Marshall (not necessarily in that order) when the season starts. I almost expect to see JJ heading for a redshirt season to grow, get stronger and get used to facing SEC speed running the scout team against the AU defense in practice. Only if Wallace, Frazier and Marshall go down or otherwise show they can't get it done do I expect to see JJ get in a game and burn a possible redshirt.

I'm sorry but from the sound of it our QBs are still completely inadequate when it comes to competing in the SEC. It's like we're cursed at the position.

wow. Thats a quick trigger.

+1 Which statement made you come to that conclusion?

The fact that we had those INTs yesterday made nervous.

Word is, one of the QBs that threw a pick is out of the race.

Well, it's certainly good to have some separation.

If they throw no picks all camp, then you will say our secondary is as bad as last year because they didn't get any picks.

You got that right, some folks will put a negative spin on anything

Sunshine pumper... :jossun:

Sorry to change the subject but does anyone have any inside info on when D Mcneal is going to be ready to go? Feel like losing him would be akin to the loss of Mike McNeil in 2011. The secondary looks like it might be our strength this year and he would be a crucial part of an old school AU defense. He lays the wood and has swag a la Brian Robinson that we badly need. Hope he is ready and in his natural starting position by the time we start SEC play. WDE

In my opnion if JJ is even close to the level of anyone else you might as well let him play. If no one is setting the world on fire and JJ is even a possibility to start he needs to start. No better way to get reps and experience then getting out there and playing.

Double-edged sword. No better way to get reps and experience, true. Also no better way than to ruin a QB than to throw them into the fire before they're ready. Don't know that would apply to JJ, and in fact I have been thinking along the same lines as you: Do you go with youth and prepare to win big later, or do you go with the player at QB who gives you the best chance to win right now? I'm thinking that building for the future is a luxury that a coach in the SEC at an upper tier program like AU probably doesn't have.

I do hope that regardless of who gets the starting nod we will see second and third string QBs get reps with first team OL and skill players in games if our Tigers are lucky enough to be up by relatively safe margins, say 21 or more at some point in the 4th quarter. I really expect the QB rotation to include Wallace, Frazier and Marshall (not necessarily in that order) when the season starts. I almost expect to see JJ heading for a redshirt season to grow, get stronger and get used to facing SEC speed running the scout team against the AU defense in practice. Only if Wallace, Frazier and Marshall go down or otherwise show they can't get it done do I expect to see JJ get in a game and burn a possible redshirt.

I'm not saying just throw him in there because he will be the qb in the future. I'm saying if there isn't much separation between jj and who they think would give us a better chance now I say give it to jj. If he is close to being ready after this short time let him start. That's just my opinion. There is a reason I'm not coaching. I will stand behind whoever Gus picks

There is one element that should be considered in all this QB discussion. This year Jay Prosch will be back there to block for the QB that starts, next year no. If he is used properly, a more inexperienced QB will be able to lean on that this year. Just food for thought.

just heard from Jay G Tate on the radio that Nick Marshall is really impressing people. I know we aren't hearing that from the coaches but apparently some people that watched the scrimmage yesterday said he looks really dangerous. In a good way.

Johnson may have a more realistic shot than we thought.

What's this "we" business.

Exactly! I've said it would be between NM and JJ since a looooong time ago.

^^This^^

JMHO but I really hope we can redshirt JJ this year. I think we really hurt KF by playing him in 2011 and we probably hurt JW by playing him last year. I'd love to let JJ spend next year learning and then come on strong afterwards.

Yea, I never understood CGC burning JW's RS. It wasted it because all he really did was help us beat teams we would beat regardless. (that's not a knock on him)

Probably doesn't matter on J Wallace red shirting. If he doesn't start this year he probably won't ever. With JJ, White and Queen coming in he is probably gonna get left out. Hope he can prove me wrong. I love his heart.

I think Wallace is destined to hold for the winning kick for the 2014 or 2015 National Title... or both.

I like your spirit lionheart

Archived