Fall Camp - Practice 12 (Mon, Aug 12)

RunInRed

So many have said it but KF is an example of an Auburn Man today.

I cant imagine the applause he will get the next time he runs on to the field at any position. (Even special teams)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm probably reading too much in to what Gus said, but is it possible Wallace is the leader and Johnson & Marshall are getting reps with 1st team this week to see how they perform, since they know what Wallace brings to table having been through Spring?

He said that they were told they'd be given a chance to compete for the job and getting them more reps helps evaluate.

ummm...no.

Not being negative, and yes KF is taking the position change well, but he is actually very fortunate and is being given an opportunity that many others on the team do not get. There are many players that are 3 or 4 on the depth chart that do not get the chance to change positions to get playing time. I would think there are many times that players ask for position changes but are not allowed. Those guys are great AU men also, trudging along buried on the depth chart, trying to work their way to playing time. While it is good of KF to do this, IMO he is actually getting an opportunity that not all players get. I say that because I don't think we will see him in the mix for any significant playing time this year. Sorry if someone has already posted something like this.

Not being negative, and yes KF is taking the position change well, but he is actually very fortunate and is being given an opportunity that many others on the team do not get. There are many players that are 3 or 4 on the depth chart that do not get the chance to change positions to get playing time. I would think there are many times that players ask for position changes but are not allowed. Those guys are great AU men also, trudging along buried on the depth chart, trying to work their way to playing time. While it is good of KF to do this, IMO he is actually getting an opportunity that not all players get. I say that because I don't think we will see him in the mix for any significant playing time this year. Sorry if someone has already posted something like this.

I see where your goin but not many players are recruited by bigger schools to play a different position similar to kf situation. ...just a thought

Except few have the skill set... the size, the eye hand coordination, running ability, agility... there's many many former HS QB's playing other positions at this and the next level, not really sure same can be said for most other positions

I see where your goin but not many players are recruited by bigger schools to play a different position similar to kf situation. ...just a thought

Right. If Gus didn't think Kiehl could not contribute, he wouldn't move. How much will he play? Dunno. But he's one of the most highly touted recruits in AU history. I hope it works.

Right. If Gus didn't think Kiehl could not contribute, he wouldn't move. How much will he play? Dunno. But he's one of the most highly touted recruits in AU history. I hope it works.

This is a very unusual situation too. It doesn't happen that often when someone starts one year and the next they are #3 at the same position. I'm really happy he made the move. I think just as it did with Kodi that it will help the team unite. It had already made things divisive amoungst us fans as little as two or three weeks ago.

A few comments:

1. Despite how good you were at one level, it is really hard to play at the next level. Just ask Tim Tebow.

2. Many HS QBs end up in different positions in college. Just ask C.J. Uzomah ... or Nick Marshall.

3. KF has the size to play Star but probably cannot learn that position fast enough. His QB skills would translate better to playing a free safety, of which there are essentially two in Johnson's defense (boundary safety and field safety). Field Safety covers more territory, and is more like a true free safety, but I do not know if KF has the speed for that position. I could see KF in the Boundary Safety role in 2013, and maybe if he does well, move to Star in 2014. I wonder if it would be best for KF to take a redshirt year to really learn the defense, and the necessary skills.

Safety

My brother played safety way back in HS in a pretty complicated defensive scheme. He moved there from QB, just as KF is doing now. He seems to think the transition will be much quicker than we think, and pointed out how Bear,Shug,and Dye liked to have HS quarterbacks at safety in college. Do you think he's right, or has the game gotten much more complicated since the mid 80's? I know HS is not SEC. He is thinking more about the mental aspect of the change.

I just wish Kiehl had made this decision in spring camp, he would've had a far better chance to start

It's very hard to give up on your dream, especially when you were the high school gatorade player of the year and a 5* QB on 1 site. Don't worry about the timing. Just be thankful he made the decision period. Some kids never have the maturity to make it at all. Heck, Tebow still can't do it. Frazier put his team and Auburn Family first ...I disagree on the far better chance to start. He would not pass Whitehead and the chances are slim he would pass Meat or Holsey also. He would have had a far better chance to get a quality depth spot though.

Well he would've had a far better chance to start over what he has now. I have a question for you, do you see Kiehl RS or not

To be honest I don't know.

Anybody else just realize that their NCAA '14 roster is completely wrong AGAIN?!? Danget I JUST got that right!

I'm really hosed now on mine. Redshirted JJ, NM is down with injury - KF is starting for me haha.

I just wish Kiehl had made this decision in spring camp, he would've had a far better chance to start

It's very hard to give up on your dream, especially when you were the high school gatorade player of the year and a 5* QB on 1 site. Don't worry about the timing. Just be thankful he made the decision period. Some kids never have the maturity to make it at all. Heck, Tebow still can't do it. Frazier put his team and Auburn Family first ...I disagree on the far better chance to start. He would not pass Whitehead and the chances are slim he would pass Meat or Holsey also. He would have had a far better chance to get a quality depth spot though.

Well he would've had a far better chance to start over what he has now. I have a question for you, do you see Kiehl RS or not

To be honest I don't know.

That was going to be my question - I know we're shallow on safety depth, but would we look at a RS so he has 2 productive years there. Interested to see how quick he can pick it up. As said previously, as a former QB he has to have an eye for what's going on on the field.

Is KF going to the star, or true safety? Seems better built for the star position.

His skill set and his mentality for looking gor picks is better suited for field safety than star. Plus Star is one of our strongest 3 deep spots on the team already.

I don't think Marshall would have came to Auburn if he wasn't sure he would be the starter. I mean he started as a true freshman at cornerback and a great team like Georgia so you know he could have went anywhere and played that position

FWIW, I'm hearing KF will redshirt this year and really give it his all to become the best safety he can be and try his best to continue his football career after college whether it be NFL, Canadian, etc.

I don't think Marshall would have came to Auburn if he wasn't sure he would be the starter. I mean he started as a true freshman at cornerback and a great team like Georgia so you know he could have went anywhere and played that position

No matter what he may have thought he had to earn it just like anyone else. Which is what he is doing now.

He has a red shirt year so I think they should use it To give him an extra year to learn the position better

We need depth at safety though.

FWIW, I'm hearing KF will redshirt this year and really give it his all to become the best safety he can be and try his best to continue his football career after college whether it be NFL, Canadian, etc.

That would be interesting to see how he could develop in a RS year. Some of his highlights at safety in HS look good.

Safety

My brother played safety way back in HS in a pretty complicated defensive scheme. He moved there from QB, just as KF is doing now. He seems to think the transition will be much quicker than we think, and pointed out how Bear,Shug,and Dye liked to have HS quarterbacks at safety in college. Do you think he's right, or has the game gotten much more complicated since the mid 80's? I know HS is not SEC. He is thinking more about the mental aspect of the change.

I also played safety in HS. I would definitely say a background playing QB could have its advantages transitioning to safety. Much of what a QB does is based off reading the safeties. There has to be an advantage knowing that relationship from the other side of the ball.

Bigbird could way in on this better than I. I believe he played safety in college.

Archived