Keeping CTT and the New AD

DKW 86

This is an idea I got from an E-mail.

I dont think Tommy is really interested in a lot of additional money in the new contract at end of year. He will be far more interested in being insulated from the Trustees. How about a guaranteed contract?

This idea comes from a knowlegdeable source and many feel that it would keep CTT in Auburn for a while because it does insulate CTT. If he gets runoff he still gets paid. On the other hand, his buyout still keeps him there though.

It is a Win-Win for the AU Family. He cant leave unless fired. He gets paid if he does get fired though.

As my guys say, "It leaves Tommy with the freedom to run the program as he sees fit. 'He does not want more money just the freedom to disagree and to do the right things for the program.'"

I agree.

Many here know I have been tracking the AD job search.

We need a professional at AD, not a GOB Network Refugee. For that reason, I recommend Radakovich or McGarity for AD. Jacobs and Ethridge are great guys, but they have baggage that AU does not need right now. We need real PROFESSIONALISM, detached Professionalism in the Athletic Department.

Please help me to promote these ideas for CTT and the AU Family.

You know .. certain of your trustees and our old Franphony were made for each other. I am glad to see you guys getting everything back in order. I am one of the few BAMA faithful that would not mind seeing you get a NC.

DKW, if CTT gets run off under his current contract, he still gets paid. "Guaranteed contract" is just a fluffy term. It doesn't really mean anything. Any contract can be broken, as long as the side doing the breaking is willing to compensate the other side for the breaking of said contract.

According to PF today, and IMHO, CTT merely needs more money to keep his coordinators here and a little breathing room. Also, once we get this new AD taken care of, Ed Richardson is out of the picture and CTT is running the show without that shadow over him.

A Guaranteed contract?? How about a guaranteed for sure with no crossed fingers contract. Go figure.... I think a contract is a contract. However it would be nice to keep him but I would not like to see us go overboard with something that might bit us in the butt later. Just a contract extention with a raise for CTT and staff would be nice.

You know .. certain of your trustees and our old Franphony were made for each other.  I am glad to see you guys getting everything back in order.  I am one of the few BAMA faithful that would not mind seeing you get a NC.

123153[/snapback]

It's more accurate to say that some of our trustees are very similar to some of bama's, i.e., Lowder and Paul bryant, Jr. have a LOT in common :poke:

The only guaranteed contracts I know of are that 1st round draft picks in the NBA are guaranteed a contract (by the NBA) with the team that drafted them. 2nd rounders don't even have to be signed if the team tries them out and doesnt want them.

I am suprised that a website devoted to Auburn University would pledge it's support to a guy from Florida and a guy from LSU for one of the University's most high profile jobs. I understand that "AUNation" does not want a BOT stooge and I'm trying to figure out why Jacobs or Etheridge (this is the proper spelling of his name by the way) would be considered "yes men".

Please provide us (the AUNation) with some facts about the baggage these two guys are carrying that precludes you from promoting them for the AD job. If it is your opinion they have baggage, then that is one thing, but if you have cold hard facts, then let the AUNation know about them so we can all form our opinion about who is best for this job.

I have been following the AD search as well and appreciate the attention AUNation has devoted to this cause, but we need facts, not opinions if you are going to slight one of our own.

We also don't know how well CTT and Dr. Ed get along. Remember Dr. Ed is trying to fix the concerns CTT has not make them worse or make his job any tougher. They are on the same team and I'm sure CTT has had some input on this process.

Dr. Ed has said all along (and it was posted on this website for a long time) that he wanted someone with some business acumen and it was a plus for this person to be from the AU family and even more so the AU Athletic family. He also wants someone who will be around for a long time. How you can say someone like Scott Etheridge is not PROFESSIONAL is beyond me. The guy is an executive for GE/NBC (one of the largest corporations in the world). How can he not be professional?

Please provide us with some "baggage" facts so I can form my own opinion on who should be the next AD.

I guess the other item I forgot to address, was that AUNation was promoting Mike Kolen for the job. What makes him any different than Scott Etheridge? Both successful businessmen, both AU family and both AU Athletics.

That's the best idea I've heard....let's do it

DKW-Sorry I couldn't sit with you the other night, I had to drag my 2 boys there and not sitting with them would have pisssed them off. Boy, that was the worst Auburn function I've ever been to. Boring. What happened to the rock bands, cheerleaders, Aubie, and getting up for the game? Jeez!

It always worries me when I start seeing people rate job condidates on whether they're part of the "Auburn family", i.e., have previous Auburn ties. We just want the most competent person for the job--we can adopt them into the Auburn family (like we did with Pat Dye and Tommy Tuberville) when they demonstrate their worthiness. I guess I'm reacting to the last few decades of Bama people always wanting one of "Bear's Boys" for head coach. I prefer the most talented, most competent, most honorable candidate and to heck with his or her previous college ties.

Now, I don't know any of the named AD candidates and can't say which one is best. However, I don't think lack of a previous Auburn connection should weigh against them, while too intimate of a connection to the "dark side" of the GOB network should definitely weigh against them.

I'm not saying AUNation should not promote the non-Auburn candidates if they feel they are the best most qualified for the job. I'm saying don't promote them because you think the AU candidates have "issues and baggage" and I'm asking for that information to be shared with the rest of us so we can form our own opinion.

Naturally, I want the best person for the job (like we all do) and have full confidence in Dr. Ed and his team to make a very thorough and educated decision. I know the Florida guy was a candidate as well for the UGA job and I have read lots of good things about the LSU guy, but I know the two AU guys are quality as well.

I'm not saying AUNation should not promote the non-Auburn candidates if they feel they are the best most qualified for the job.  I'm saying don't promote them because you think the AU candidates have "issues and baggage" and I'm asking for that information to be shared with the rest of us so we can form our own opinion.

Naturally, I want the best person for the job (like we all do) and have full confidence in Dr. Ed and his team to make a very thorough and educated decision.  I know the Florida guy was a candidate as well for the UGA job and I have read lots of good things about the LSU guy, but I know the two AU guys are quality as well.

123505[/snapback]

In a nutshell, some object to Jacobs and his very close ties to Housel. Why should we go from one fire into another? Housel has admitted to not being able to say no to a bad idea for the airplane ride that brought more shame and disgrace onto my university than anything since the BOT brought CTB to the Plains. We all remember how that ended. Can you guarantee that Jacobs would act any different if presented with the same situation?

Etheridge has NO experience in any AD job. No Experience! I thought the criteria laid out by the University was that we wanted someone with experience on the job? Or was I mistaken? As far as OTHER baggage, ask Coach Dye. I just know what he is quoted as saying.

That leaves us with only two other candidates. McGarity and Radakovich. They have been vetted by Carr, same as the others. After simple process of elimination, why should we STILL consider the other two? Just because they are AU guys? Does R's and M's experience not count for anything with you? Successful experience means nothing if it is from somewhere else other than AU. They come from programs that have National Championships,could we not learnfrom them? What does J and E offer in this respect? Very little new and nothing.

Housel was an AU guy.... and managed to smear the AU Family from coast to coast trying to fire a now 10-0 coach. I dont see any problems with trying an outside hire now.

I fail to see why so many object to a PROFESSIONALLY run Athletic Department.

Please, lets get rid of the BOT control over AU Athletics. Is that so hard? Is the SACS Probation not enough to set the bells and whistles off with the AU Family? Why did the AU Faculty have to go to the lengths of bringing SACS in and getting AU put on probation? Because we have a dysfunctional mess and the BOT refuses to abide by the rules of common decency and ethics.

No, bringing in more of the same is absolutely the wrong thing to do now. We need a clean break here. We need to end an embarassing era in the AU Athletic Department.

They have a word for folks that keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.....They are called INSANE.

It is time for a change.

Live the Creed!

i think the major difference between mike kolen (who was endorsed by aunation) and scott etheridge is that scott's au sports experience came during the bobby lowder era. he doesn't have the distance between himself and the problem to lay questions to rest. fair or not, it is a concern and an easy opinion to find around campus. most folks just don't want anyone previously connected to the university at all (i'm talkin about most students i know). so, bringing in a guy that played here just over a decade ago (has it been that long?? wow) just doesn't seem to fit the bill of separating yourself from a yes man. scott could do the job, but the image of an isolated AD says he's not the best man.

regardless of creditials, i don't think any candidate should be considered from within the current atheletic department. i know that's unfair, but that's life. it just looks too suspicious. so i guess i'm saying i agree mcgarity and radakovich are the best candidates b/c they have experience, qualifications, and they lay all the bad thoughts to rest by coming from the outside.

BTW, I heard great stuff on Kolen and then heard he must have just bombed during an interview or something. He fell off the planet after that.

In a nutshell, some object to Jacobs and his very close ties to Housel. Why should we go from one fire into another? Housel has admitted to not being able to say no to a bad idea for the airplane ride that brought more shame and disgrace onto my university than anything since the BOT brought CTB to the Plains. We all remember how that ended. Can you guarantee that Jacobs would act any different if presented with the same situation?

Etheridge has NO experience in any AD job. No Experience! I thought the criteria laid out by the University was that we wanted someone with experience on the job? Or was I mistaken? As far as OTHER baggage, ask Coach Dye. I just know what he is quoted as saying.

That leaves us with only two other candidates. McGarity and Radakovich. They have been vetted by Carr, same as the others. After simple process of elimination, why should we STILL consider the other two? Just because they are AU guys? Does R's and M's experience not count for anything with you? Successful experience means nothing if it is from somewhere else other than AU. They come from programs that have National Championships,could we not learnfrom them? What does J and E offer in this respect? Very little new and nothing.

Housel was an AU guy.... and managed to smear the AU Family from coast to coast trying to fire a now 10-0 coach. I dont see any problems with trying an outside hire now.

I fail to see why so many object to a PROFESSIONALLY run Athletic Department.

Please, lets get rid of the BOT control over AU Athletics. Is that so hard? Is the SACS Probation not enough to set the bells and whistles off with the AU Family? Why did the AU Faculty have to go to the lengths of bringing SACS in and getting AU put on probation? Because we have a dysfunctional mess and the BOT refuses to abide by the rules of common decency and ethics.

No, bringing in more of the same is absolutely the wrong thing to do now. We need a clean break here. We need to end an embarassing era in the AU Athletic Department.

They have a word for folks that keep doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.....They are called INSANE.

It is time for a change.

Live the Creed!

123658[/snapback]

Let's start with Housel. It wasn't his choice. He was made to get on that plane and he probably should have resisted even if it meant being fired. He knows he messed up. You had a major trustee in cahoots with the President and Housel was made the scape goat. I don't think the two AU candidates should be blackballed by you because you think there is "association" with the GOB network. How do we know the other 2 guys aren't part of the UF and LSU GOB network? Do we have "insider" knowledge that Jacobs or Etheridge has ties to Lowder and the others? According to the papers, Etheridge is living in either California or NY so I'm sure they are not hanging out each Saturday drinking beer together. I can't speak for the two AU guys and how they would react but I'm sure they both know the ramifications brought onto Housel and will do everything they can with Dr. Ed to make sure it doesn't happen again. Dr. Ed is not going to bring in a puppet and I have full confidence in any of the candidates he selects. We should not label the AU guys guilty because of assocation as we should not write off the non-AU guys.

You are correct in that Etheridge has no AD experience but you are incorrect about the criteria laid out by the University for this position. This quote is straight from your website "5) Dr. Richardson seems to be a very straight shooter and "wants someone ready to manage a '$47M+' budget and do it well." They must have a business head, wants an AU pedigree, and hopefully an AU athletic pedigree. The last two were wants only. "They must have a record of being able to manage a large organization like the AU Athletic Department." Hello, this is Scott Etheridge. The other 3 have AD experience but can they run an entire department with a $47 million annual budget? I'm sure NBC Sports is bigger than this. I think it will be easier to teach someone about Athletic Departments than to teach someone how to run a $47 million enterprise. NCAA compliance (that's what the attorneys are for, and hiring compliance directors to keep up with that stuff. An AD needs to be a face guy with boosters such as us, he needs to network with the other Universities and NCAA people. Scott should have some idea as to what goes on just from being part of the AU Athletic department for 4 years. I bet it is not rocket science.

For the other baggage, "just ask Coach Dye?" What is this? What did he say that makes Etheridge not right person for this job. The whole femine comment from the early 90's? What else did he say? I'm sure that comment wasn't bothering you when he beat LSU and UF with game winning kicks.

I know all of the candidates are very qualified in their own way. You have 3 with Athletic department experience and 1 with business experience. It just depends on which way Dr. Ed wants to go. I agree that AU needs a professionally run department, but I wouldn't go so far as saying Jacobs or Etheridge would not run a PROFESSIONAL department.

I also agree that AU needs to run the department free and clear of the BOT's but don't assume that the two AU guys cannot do that. I can't speak for Jacobs, but we should all know not to underestimate Etheridge as he has proven both on and off the field.

Maybe AUNation should conduct a poll to see who they think is the best person for the job, not what just a select few think.

alum, it's like a lot of folks have said. having ties to the athletic department while housel has been there doesn't make jacobs or etheridge guilty. but it does mean that there is an appearance of GOBism. whether it's true or not, auburn is battling public perception. and like i've always heard, in business perception is reality. it would benefit the university to completely cut ties from its former leadership b/c that eliminate the idea that the general public has of us being corrupt. it isn't a knock on jacobs or etheridge; it's just that sometimes you have to swing the pendulum way out wide to move the general public the short distance they have to move.

alum, it's like a lot of folks have said. having ties to the athletic department while housel has been there doesn't make jacobs or etheridge guilty. but it does mean that there is an appearance of GOBism. whether it's true or not, auburn is battling public perception. and like i've always heard, in business perception is reality. it would benefit the university to completely cut ties from its former leadership b/c that eliminate the idea that the general public has of us being corrupt. it isn't a knock on jacobs or etheridge; it's just that sometimes you have to swing the pendulum way out wide to move the general public the short distance they have to move.

123738[/snapback]

What makes everyone think that the non-AU guys are going to be any different. All Athletic departments operate the same way. Sure, they may bring in a few new ideas that work well at UF and LSU but other than that then what? Is AU soo desparate to be like UF and/or LSU? We need someone who will take this department to the next level, not copy what another university is doing. Perception or not, every school has its GOB network. They key will be for the new AD to put out a public perception with Dr. Ed that they are in charge, not Lowder or the others. Even with an outsider taking the job, what makes you think that Lowder and the other GOB's won't show them the same AU hospitality that they show the others.

They have proven experience in top tier athletic programs. Its not that we are trying to copy UF or LSU. I believe the "inbreeding" in the athletic program has resulted in a lot of our problems. Any hire is a gamble and none of us know how they will do.

I agree that they have proven experience in an athletic program. However, as I mentioned earlier and what was quoted on this website, Dr. Ed is not necessarily looking for a proven candidate with AD experience. He wants someone with proven business skills (why he spoke with the FDIC guy as well as Mike Kolen) to run a big time Athletic program and budget.

Maybe the issue here with everybody is with Dr. Ed. What does everyone think of him? Does anyone know what his goals are for the program. Does he want to run a UF or LSU type program or does he want AU to be the model for a new generation of AD programs?

I respect everyone who just wants to clean house and start over, but I think you need to consider this as a business as well. And Athletic departments are big business now.

Archived