2013 Fall Camp - Practice 19 (Sun, Aug 18)

RunInRed

Whoa ...

Jonathan Wallace will be Nick Marshall's backup at QB, Gus Malzahn says.

@JHokanson

Gus Malzahn said they really feel like Nick Marshall should improve with every time out

@ITATJason

Malzahn: "Jonathan Wallace had a really good camp, and he will be the next guy in if something happens to Nick."

@BarrettSallee

He called JJ the 2A Qb.

Seems reasonable....which also means that he will not play JJ unless it absolutely becomes necessary.

I'm good with JW as the back-up...he's a pretty good QB and showed some leadership under tough conditions last season. No question he should be much better this year after some time in the new offense....and with what sounds like much better chemistry on the Offense.

This team should be much better than last season.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christina Chambers@chambc124s

QB rundown: #1 Nick Marshall, #2 Jonathan Wallace and 2A is Jeremy Johnson "who will dress out and travel with team"

Malzahn: "We ask a lot out of our QBs, even more than most teams...we've got a luxury in that we have three guys we feel good about.

Malzahn on Jonathan Wallace battling for the job: "He fought hard. It was hard to tell him he wasn't going to be the starter."

@TheAUPlainsman

Malzahn says new No. 1 priority is "To get our overall team ready to play."

@JamesCrepea

CGM seem almost giddy to any else?

Malzahn says Nick Marshall is one of the best athletes he's had at QB. "He's got a strong arm, and he's very calm.

@jzenor

More Malzahn on Marshall: "He's very unique. He's a phenomenal athlete, one of the better athletes I've ever had at the position.

@TheAUPlainsman

@wareagleextra

Nick Marshall is now at podium. "I'm just blessed to get this chance (Gus Malzahn) gave me."

Nick Marshall is up ...

BR_sud_CcAAe_sY.jpg

via @FootballAU

Nick Marshall: "it felt good to me. I've worked hard. I just came I. To do what I did and let whatever happen take control of it."

Nick Marshall on Auburn's offense: "This is a good fit. I ran it in high school and in junior college."

Nick Marshall on his goals: "Helping my team win and do the best that I can for them."

@FootballAU

Nick Marshall said he watched plenty of film in his off-time preparing to learn the offense.

@JHokanson

Marshall: "I really can't compare myself to (Cam Newton) I just try to be myself."

Marshall says he and Ben Bradley have joked about their GC vs Hutchinson game last year

Marshall on his goals of a Heisman, national title: "Those are high goals but I'm going to bust my tail to do that."

Marshall: "We have coaches (reminding) us about ball security. I'm not really worried about turnovers."

Marshall: "I like to throw the ball deep but you can't throw the ball deep every time in this league."

Marshall says the read option is what he likes best about this offense

@JamesCrepea

Marshall said about Week 2 is when he started to feel the most comfortable with the offense

Marshall on the offense: The offense is going to be good. I'm going to get better every week

@Szvetitz

Marshall said he has worked on his touch on the shorter routes

@ITATJason

Nick Marshall on confidence he can meet high goals: "I'm going to bust my tail to achieve my goals and the team's going to help me do that."

Nick Marshall, gonna think before you run in SEC? "In this league you can't take too many hits. I just use my ability to get out of bounds."

@jzenor

Marshall says Florida State, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Clemson all recruited him as a quarterback out of college.

Marshall says he's heard the constant messages from Rhett Lashlee and Gus Malzahn on ball security.

@JoelAEricksonAU

Marshall, when asked about his past: "I'm an Auburn player now, and that's all I care about moving forward."

@ThePlainsmanAU

Marshall: "When I got on campus, I just bought into what the team wanted me to do." Says the offense is a good fit for him.

@wareagleextra

Auburn's Nick Marshall on QB race: "All four were good quarterbacks. Everyone worked hard. They supported me through camp."

@AUGoldMine

The Auburn Plainsman@TheAUPlainsmannow

Marshall rattles off a list of schools that recruited him to play QB: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Vanderbilt, Tennessee and Clemson.

@wareagleextra

Ultra-quick reaction to Marshall's presser: He's every bit as soft-spoken as I remember him at Georgia. Hopefully he'll begin to open up.

Told ya he was a guy of few words. He'll open up as the season goes on.

Malzahn says Nick Marshall is one of the best athletes he's had at QB. "He's got a strong arm, and he's very calm.

@jzenor

More Malzahn on Marshall: "He's very unique. He's a phenomenal athlete, one of the better athletes I've ever had at the position.

@TheAUPlainsman

He was..it was reported by a couple of guys how giddy he seemed. I don't blame him!

Hmmm. So Marshall is the starter and JW is the backup. It's almost like somebody's been saying this for months. cough cough

ok so moving on, WAY excited for the year to start. We are going to be much improved. If the DLine plays better than they have in practice, we could have a better than average year.

@jzenor

@TheAUPlainsman

He was..it was reported by a couple of guys how giddy he seemed. I don't blame him!

But I was told he would be playin DB!! War Eagle Nick!!

Hmmm. So Marshall is the starter and JW is the backup. It's almost like somebody's been saying this for months. cough cough

ok so moving on, WAY excited for the year to start. We are going to be much improved. If the DLine plays better than they have in practice, we could have a better than average year.

lol. Cough cough..me too. Remember JJ is the 2A backup so it really is situational as to who the Qb will be if NM goes down and for how long he would be down. I'm praying we don't have to find out and JW gets mop up work! :)

lol. Cough cough..me too. Remember JJ is the 2A backup so it really is situational as to who the Qb will be if NM goes down and for how long he would be down. I'm praying we don't have to find out and JW gets mop up work! :)

Yup. The 2 and 2A thing means the plan is to RS JJ but if Nick gets hurt for any extended period of time then JJ starts.

@jzenor

@TheAUPlainsman

But I was told he would be playin DB!! War Eagle Nick!!

You must not be right very often. This is coming up on two handful of times I have seen you with the "I told you so" post.

Yup. The 2 and 2A thing means the plan is to RS JJ but if Nick gets hurt for any extended period of time then JJ starts.

Gus didn't say it was the plan but if it plays out that JJ RS then fine but it's really how the season plays out.

Archived