2014 3* JUCO TE Darrion Hutcherson (Miss State signee)

RunInRed

This is one I wouldn't mind us going ahead and getting a commitment from.  If he camps around this summer, everybody and their brother will offer. 

The writeup that I read on him after his performance at the VTO camp is that while he's a bit of a project, with his size, speed (ran a 4.7) and body type he's got the potential to be an elite TE.  He already runs good routes and has good hands.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see what position he is being projected at. From the little I have seen it looks like he lacks short-area explosiveness.

Where do you think the staff's mind is? DE?

Where do you think the staff's mind is? DE?

No idea; could realistically end up at OT. AJ Greene had a similar physical profile out of HS.

More than likely visiting Ole Miss, but as Amy said, that could change. It's been reported that his parents are ua fans, but that shouldn't affect Darrion that much. He's already made it clear that he is a HUGE AU fan and plus the staff has done a GREAT job (as usual) recruiting him!

:we:

Good grief this guy is a monster! How has no one else other than louisville and east carolina gone after this guy?

Supposedly, folks are starting to pay attention. AU may have found him in the rough at just the right time.

FWIW, he was at UAT's A-Day and they are 'close to offering.'

"...Once Auburn offered me, everybody offered me. I went up to Ole Miss yesterday and they offered me. I'm at nine offers."

Kid has an awesome frame.  I just saw him on Rival's hot board and had to come see what we were saying about him over here.  He's a get I'd love to lock down early.  War Eagle!

Announcing Thursday!!!!! WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://twitter.com/ChadSimmons_/status/60454582043676672

That link's broken, but I saw it HERE!

Kinda has me nervous since he visited the turds this past w/e and was apparently BLOWN AWAY with them!  :(

But he did maintain after the visit that AU was STILL his leader, so HOPEFULLY we're all good!  :we:

Now you have me worried DJ, I thought he was ours & it was a good thing he was announcing so early.

He doesnt have an offer, so he is definitely all ours.    :wedance:

ChadSimmons_ Chad Simmons

Darrion Hutcherson committing this week may still be up in the air. Stay tuned.

13 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Hutcherson is set to announce Thursday.

News on jumbo athlete Darrion Hutcherson (free) ... http://bit.ly/eYDd7T

@BMatt247

Dadeville TE/DE Darrion Hutcherson will announce college decision this week. #Auburn, #OleMiss, #Vandy. Tigers in great shape.

@AndrewJBone

Ok... so apparently, this situation is fluid right now!  :dunno: But it APPEARS that Hutcherson WILL announce his decision this Thursday at a ceremony at his HS in Dadeville! Read about the announcement plans HERE! I'd say it looks VERY good for AU!  :we:

The good part is where he is quoted as saying, ""The visits went great, but it's time for me to be a part of the program that I'm planning on committing to," Hutcherson said. "It's time to help them out."

...and where J.Hoke points out that "proximity to home could play a factor in the end."  :thumbsup:

The confusing part of this to me stems from Hutcherson's comments following his visits to Ole Miss , Vandy, and ua this past w/e. He left all of the visits STILL stating that the Tigers were his favorite, but he RAVED over lil' nicky and the turds, saying all this jazz...

"This was all new to me. I really hadn't seen very much of Alabama before this visit," said Hutcherson. "I didn't make it to Tuscaloosa in time for the game but I took a full tour of the campus and met with some of the coaches after the game was over. I was really blown away. You hear about the tradition at Alabama but until you see if all laid out in front of you like that, you don't really understand what that means. The practice facilities are all great but I think the things that stuck out to me the most really was the Hall of Fame in the football building. To look up and see some of those names, all those All-Americans, all those guys who are in the NFL now, it was really amazing."

Hutcherson spoke to the Tide coaching staff who gave him some encouraging news.

"I talked to almost the whole staff it seemed like. Coach Sal (Sunseri), Coach (Bobby) Williams, Coach (Kirby) Smart and Coach Saban. They said they had seen my film and really liked what they saw. They are going to come watch me practice this spring and they said they would like me to come back in a few weeks if I can to chat some more since I didn't get to spend a lot of time with them this weekend. Coach Saban said he thinks I could be a tight end or defensive end and that he thinks I'd have a really good chance of succeeding at either spot."

The praise from the Tide has left Hutcherson re-evaluating his college decision.

"To be honest, I hadn't heard a whole lot from Alabama early on but now it seems like they really had a lot of good things to say and that they are pretty interested. I was getting pretty close to a decision and as of right now, I would say Auburn is my top school. But if Alabama offered, it would change things a lot. I love the way Alabama uses their tight ends and I loved everything I saw about the campus, the program and the academic situation there. I think I want to hold off and see what Alabama and a few other schools do before I make my decision."

Hutcherson said he isn't sure when he might make a decision but plans on continuing to take visits and attend camps this summer.

"I'm going to Georgia Tech this week and Florida next weekend and I've been invited to several camps and haven't really decided which ones I'm going to yet but I will probably use them as an opportunity to see more schools and learn a little more about each campus."

But apparently, the AU coaches are telling Mr. Hutcherson that IF he wants a seat on this train, he'd better jump on it QUICK! He had this to say after his visit to Ole Miss....

"All of them are good football programs," Hutcherson said. "All of them show a lot of love, but the reason I like Auburn is it's like family. I grew up an Auburn fan They're trying (to get an early commitment), but I told them I need time to think before committing right off the bat. I don't want to regret my decision. I need more time to make my decision."

Hmmmmm. He sounds like he is not really ready to commit if you asked me. He's "All In" with AU and is "Tradition Rich" with UA. Looks like he has some thinking to do and I agree with him in not giving a verbal now and regretting it later. If he's not ready, close the door to the bus and keep rolling. Let him know that we may pick you up at another stop but right I can't wait for you. There are other kids at the bus stop ready to be picked up and i'm headed that direction.

I don't think it's QUITE like you guys are describing it. I believe Hutcherson when he said that he "grew up a HUGE AU fan", and that getting his offer from AU was "like a dream". I just believe that he became a little "overwhelmed" with the whole "recruiting game", once his name got out (after AU offered a little over a week ago), and EVERY team from here to Utah started calling him and either offering him "sight unseen" or trying to get him to visit! He did what ANY 16-17 y.o. kid would do... he ATE IT UP!  :cool: It's not everyday that you go from a "small-town kid" with a few offers from So. Miss and ECU to a "national recruit"! Heck, he was quoted a Rivals article saying this...

"The recruiter from Ole Miss said he got a text message saying I was the No. 1 tight end in the country," Hutcherson said. "I can't even explain how good that feels."

Overwhelming, indeed!  :)

This kid LOVES AU! And he has the potential to be a STAR! So if he's ready to commit... I'm READY to say WELCOME HOME!  :we:

Archived