2013 Fall Camp - Practice 20 (Mon, Aug 19)

RunInRed

I really do actually miss the 3-2, 10-9 games we played in. Football, especially in the SEC, was built from the beginning around fantastic defensive games where you had to work to earn every first down. I have to be honest, I don't like the HUNH offense because it changes that mentality. I don't want to look at football scores on the ESPN ticker and wonder if its basketball season already.

Is this actually Pat Dye?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do actually miss the 3-2, 10-9 games we played in. Football, especially in the SEC, was built from the beginning around fantastic defensive games where you had to work to earn every first down. I have to be honest, I don't like the HUNH offense because it changes that mentality. I don't want to look at football scores on the ESPN ticker and wonder if its basketball season already.

I do too...I tend to watch old games during the Tubs era and wonder if we'll ever play D like that again.

I'm holding out hope that CEJ can coach 'em up, but last time I remember a HUNH offense (ours) against a CEJ's D (USCe), he got torched.

I watch those games and wonder if we will ever play offense like we did in 2009-10

Good point...

Tubs era: stout defense, sporadic offense

Chizik era: exciting offense, scarce defense

Exciting offense, for at least half the era...

Lol. I'd rather have solid defenses that win championships like Alabama and LSU than a dynamic offense that might get you to 9 or 10 wins. If you're lucky, you might just have a Godsend quarterback like Cam Newton that can win championships on his own with the team as the supporting cast. But that rarely happens.

With the way college football is so rapidly changing, maybe things will change to where having a great offense will win you championships. But somebody needs to remind me again how many national championships Clemson, Oregon or West Virginia has won over the past few years.

False dilemma.

There is something that shouldn't go unnoticed in the Rudy Ford move to CB. Lashlee said that Ford came to the coaches and said he wanted to help out at corner because "he wanted to win now". That tells you a lot about Rudy Ford. I think it also represents the attitude of this entire Freshman class and hopefully the rest of the team as well. That bodes well for this season and beyond.

I agree completely. I suspect Ford will be able to contribute with his athleticism, I love the team first attitude, and I really don't think we're short at RB anyway with the three vets and Barber.

Agreed, Iron Man, as usual.

I do too...I tend to watch old games during the Tubs era and wonder if we'll ever play D like that again.

I'm holding out hope that CEJ can coach 'em up, but last time I remember a HUNH offense (ours) against a CEJ's D (USCe), he got torched.

I watch those games and wonder if we will ever play offense like we did in 2009-10

Good point...

Chizik era: exciting offense, scarce defense

Exciting offense, for at least half the era...

True...

I wonder what the clairvoyant at the airport nearly 5 years ago thinks about the Malzahn hire?

Interesting how Nick Marshall always has his mouth piece stuck in the hole of his helmet and never wears it.

That may change when he takes off that non contact orange jersey for real football...unless he plans on not getting hit

Interesting how Nick Marshall always has his mouth piece stuck in the hole of his helmet and never wears it.

With that orange jersey on he isn't going to get hit.

I think it's a clear vote for orange facemasks. :-X

Wow, I didn't get the "Omg, the sky is falling" alert on my weather app. You guys need to relax. We have some "OUTSTANDING" Coaches. We're banged up a bit, so what....it's football, it's going to happen. The Coaches will field a competitive team, you can bet on that, and the bond will only get stronger each week. Like I said, relax, let it play out. I mean, who here actually expected us to go undefeated. There's going to be growing pains. WDE.

Lots of Debbie Downers here today.

The injury situation could always be a lot worse compared to the losses other teams have suffered in preseason camps around the country.

I think some are still short selling Ellis Johnson. The dramatic first year turnarounds in his recent stops at Miss. State and S. Carolina cannot be overlooked. We probably won't field a great defensive unit, but a solid one nonetheless.

Breathe, people.

Good point...

Chizik era: sporadic exciting offense, scarce defense

ftfy

I'm just tired of having a mediocre defense. I don't want a "solid" defense. Auburn football has always been GREAT defense.

Not going to transition from porous to great overnight, grasshopper.

It's going at least another off season to undo the "Let's keep everything in front of us" style of defensive 'coaching' these guys have been toiling in the last 4 years.

The injury situation could always be a lot worse compared to the losses other teams have suffered in preseason camps around the country.

I think some are still short selling Ellis Johnson. The dramatic first year turnarounds in his recent stops at Miss. State and S. Carolina cannot be overlooked. We probably won't field a great defensive unit, but a solid one nonetheless.

Breathe, people.

the 0-12 turnaround?...lol. I know Head coaching is different. Just yanking your chain

Breathe, people.

the 0-12 turnaround?...lol. I know Head coaching is different. Just yanking your chain

Cool beans :thumbsup: ...because you were about to be the recipient of a random duckface graphic.

If we can be competitive and go 6-6 or 7-5, then I can live with that. The lack of being competitive over the past 4 years (minus 2010) is what concerns me the most.

However I do believe this staff is head and shoulders above the former and I have faith in them. I just understand that these things take time sometimes, so I'm willing to be patient, but I can't help to be cautiously optimistic considering we have a tough row to hoe.

Good point...

ftfy

Now that's more like it.

If Malzahn really wanted to curb the drug culture he wouldn't start practice at 4:20!

As Yogi Berra once said, "There comes a time in everyman's life. And this is one of them ".

I don't want anyone to mistake me for a Debbie downer at all! I'm not predicting doom and gloom, and I will gladly eat crow if we can field both a really good defense and the HUNH at its best. I just have doubts that with an offense that doesn't take very long to score, our defense will be kept on the field longer than necessary and fatigue will set in. I think this was a huge problem in 2009-11 and then by 2012, our defense was so worn down that they had no confidence in themselves or Coach Chizik's defense. Some of those defensive woes may be attributable to poor conditioning, but I am still concerned with keeping the defense on the field all the time. I don't want to hear people say "well, we may not have a great defense, but our offense will be exciting and our defense will be just enough to help us win a championship." I just think that, putting aside 2010, the odds are against offensive minded teams winning championships in very lopsided fashion.

I don't want anyone to mistake me for a Debbie downer at all! I'm not predicting doom and gloom, and I will gladly eat crow if we can field both a really good defense and the HUNH at its best. I just have doubts that with an offense that doesn't take very long to score, our defense will be kept on the field longer than necessary and fatigue will set in. I think this was a huge problem in 2009-11 and then by 2012, our defense was so worn down that they had no confidence in themselves or Coach Chizik's defense. Some of those defensive woes may be attributable to poor conditioning, but I am still concerned with keeping the defense on the field all the time. I don't want to hear people say "well, we may not have a great defense, but our offense will be exciting and our defense will be just enough to help us win a championship." I just think that, putting aside 2010, the odds are against offensive minded teams winning championships in very lopsided fashion.

I agree with most of this. Though I don't think the gradual wear of the defense of the Chizik years was as major of a factor to our poor defenses as you say. However, I can't name one fast pace offense oriented team in recent memory that had a dominant D like we remember Auburn having. The closest I can come to is UF in 06...MAYBE? But I'd have to pull up stats to see...and I don't want to infringe on stattiger's job...lol

Good point...

Tubs era: stout defense, sporadic offense, and wasting away the lead

ftfy

no let me.... ftfy

exciting offense - that was only while GUS was there

I think the Chizik era was probably the most confusing, lost era in Auburn football history. We had no team identity to hold on to for a solid 4 years.

I think a lot of people might pull the Barfield era on you there.

Archived