2013 Fall Camp - Practice 20 (Mon, Aug 19)

RunInRed

. I miss the days we didn't have to outscore opponents on offense to win.

No kidding.

Hate to break it to you but you have to out score the other team to win.

And it would be nice to be able to do that more handily, just sayin.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy guys. Don't push the panic button yet....CGM ran a physical camp, injuries were bound to happen - leadership and heart will determine how far this unit goes......

This is a good point. We'll see what we get on the field.

The Auburn Plainsman@TheAUPlainsman44s

Lashlee on Marshall: "All we want him to do is play within the system. He doesn't have to carry everything." The conversion showed that.

True he shouldn't feel like he has to carry all the weight but with the defense probably not being up to par early on he and the offense will have to do more than what i anticipated.

Easy guys. Don't push the panic button yet....CGM ran a physical camp, injuries were bound to happen - leadership and heart will determine how far this unit goes......

Not pushing the panic button but there is concern when we're having to take offense players and move them to defense because of injuries and/or because we are thin at certain spots. Guys at this point should be settled in a position. I never thought we'd be world beaters on D this year but do expect average to a little about average. All this means that young guys will get their shot earlier than expected. Hope they are up for the challenge.

Well thank god we don't start with any hard teams this year

1,000% agree. First two games should allow guys to learn, make mistakes but still win. WSU is the team that scares me just because it is the first game and their air raid attack...just never know but we'll probably mostly ground and pound the first two games to get wins.

I hope we at least take some chances on D and get some turn overs. I would rather them score on 6 plays than put together 10/15 play drives and completely wear our defense out. At least we would have a little left in the tank for a 4th quarter stand if necessary.

I hope we at least take some chances on D and get some turn overs. I would rather them score on 6 plays than put together 10/15 play drives and completely wear our defense out. At least we would have a little left in the tank for a 4th quarter stand if necessary.

That's a dangerous strategy. Miss a few beats on offense and allow them to score on 6 play drives a few times and you find yourself in a 24-0 hole before halftime. Not that we haven't come back from that before...just saying.

More plays=more opportunities for a turnover. I never want teams to score on 6 plays. BUT I do see your point. Long drives wearing down the defense can be troublesome. However, I don't think WSU's offense is built to do that type of wearing down. I could be wrong.

That's a dangerous strategy. Miss a few beats on offense and allow them to score on 6 play drives a few times and you find yourself in a 24-0 hole before halftime. Not that we haven't come back from that before...just saying.

More plays=more opportunities for a turnover. I never want teams to score on 6 plays. BUT I do see your point. Long drives wearing down the defense can be troublesome. However, I don't think WSU's offense is built to do that type of wearing down. I could be wrong.

I would prefer that they don't allow the opponent to score at all, but I have had enough of the lay back and let them make a mistake strategy. At least take some chances and try and create a big play.

Well thank god we don't start with any hard teams this year

1,000% agree. First two games should allow guys to learn, make mistakes but still win. WSU is the team that scares me just because it is the first game and their air raid attack...just never know but we'll probably mostly ground and pound the first two games to get wins.

If we let Washington St get 50 rushing yards we failed tbh

Not pushing the panic button but there is concern when we're having to take offense players and move them to defense because of injuries and/or because we are thin at certain spots. Guys at this point should be settled in a position. I never thought we'd be world beaters on D this year but do expect average to a little about average. All this means that young guys will get their shot earlier than expected. Hope they are up for the challenge.

Exactly - some young guys just gonna have to step it up and make some plays....Carl, Elijah, Kam - you guys are up.

Lawson and Daniels have no idea how important they are. I hate injuries . We are beat to death. I hope our boys get tough. No pain no gain

So not only do we lose J Jones but we lose one of the up and coming RBs on the roster. Hope they plan on moving Ford back to RB as soon as possible.

Dee Ford has a torn MCL... low grade I hear, but it's a significant injury. Could be out a while. Don't expect to see him at full speed (probably the entire season)... Tough situation.

Dee Ford has a torn MCL... low grade I hear, but it's a significant injury. Could be out a while. Don't expect to see him at full speed (probably the entire season)... Tough situation.

Thanks for that info. Just damn!!!

Guest jojo1515

It just keeps getting worse. I hope Carl is everything I think he will be...as well as Melton and Kiehl...and Ford. If some new guys don't step up quick, we are in for another very long season...on the other hand, the new guys could just bring the spark this D needs.

I never expected us to even be average on defense... but now i am really worried. You guys saw our defense last year.. It takes more than a new coach and off season to turn that around. We have the talent on the DL to have a great defense, but we've gotta get help at LB and the secondary.

Ugh.. and Washington St is a pass happy offense.. I hope we can get pressure on the QB.

This is the comment from CEJ that worries me the most.

Ellis Johnson: "Kris (Frost) has 2-3 days where he went backwards."

The defense is going to need much improved play at LB. Hopefully that comment was intended for motivation

I was just going to post something similar. You don't get physical and tough, without getting physical and tough. That's what has to be done to get your edge back. Players have to step up and that goes double for the DTs. It's long past time for them to earn their keep and move the line of scrimmage back to take the pressure off the secondary.

We need Altima to give us his overall impression of the defense from Saturday and tell us whether or not he thinks CEJ is just trying to motivate. Paging Altima. Altima please come to the "Practice 20" thread.

When you consider how good Wazzu's defensive line is, we may have a hard time scoring enough points to make up for the amount of points we're going to give up. It really appears to be coming together for the Cougs in this game (and maybe this season).

They're still going to be a PAC 12 punching bag. It's coming together in the opener because we were possibly the worst defensive team in America last season. Wedding need help being crappy.

I was confident in Coach Johnson's pronouncement that CB was the strength of the defense. Now, we're cutting into that severely. Holsey had to move back and likely isn't shifting down to corner this year (no other options at safety). Jones is probably done if he broke his ankle. We're down from five experienced playmakers to three without playing a down. Davis, Mincy, and White may not leave the field.

I'm not a doom and gloomer, but for the first time, I'm preparing to watch defense as poor as the last three years. Young DBs (especially CBs) get abused. Just ask a UF fan about a stud like Joe Haden. He was worked up and down the field as a frosh. Turned out as good as advertised, but relying on Melton or Ford or any freshman at that spot is a quick death.

I now expect to see a ton of Therezie and Garrett at the same time. Ugh. All I wanted was to watch a real Auburn defense. I'm pessimistic.

Archived