2013 Fall Camp - Practice 20 (Mon, Aug 19)

RunInRed

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Malzahn really wanted to curb the drug culture he wouldn't start practice at 4:20!

Actually, that is the perfect time to start it. That way the players can't participate at 4:20 if they are at practice...

If Malzahn really wanted to curb the drug culture he wouldn't start practice at 4:20!

Actually, that is the perfect time to start it. That way the players can't participate at 4:20 if they are at practice...

Hate to say the this, but some players seem to find the time! :dunno:

Ellis Johnson on defense: "We've got a long way to go. There's been more improvement." Said he's seen unit make strides over last four practices.

Johnson: "We stalled and hit neutral about a week ago" with so many players out. (Dee Ford, Justin Garrett, Demetruce McNeal at that point)

Johnson said Justin Garrett has a foot sprain "and they will err on side of caution." Could have been back at practice a few days ago.

@wareagleextra

DC Ellis Johnson said he feels like the defense has improved each of the last four practices.

Johnson said DE Dee Ford is out an "extended" time. CB Jonathan Jones injured off the field, he had surgery today.

DC Ellis Johnson doesn't expect DE Dee Ford to play the first game, maybe more. That's not great news.

Ellis Johnson said Elijah Daniel, Carl Lawson will be situational players at first. Ken Carter, Nosa Eguae might be starting with Ford out.

My take on the corners: Chris Davis and Jonathon Mincy lead the way, Kamryn Melton, TJ Davis and now Rudy Ford add depth, but inexperience.

@JHokanson

Johnson said Jonathan Jones slipped on wet step and broke a bone. Had surgery today. Said he's not sure how long he's out

@ITATJason

Ellis Johnson says Dee Ford and Jonathan Jones are out Aug. 31 "no question"

Ellis Johnson: "You don't want to lose your leading returning tackler but at the same time you got to be a team player. ... Very sad."

Ellis Johnson says Dee Ford's knee was hurt in the first scrimmage, no surgery required

Ellis Johnson says Ken Carter was out and just got back on field

Ellis Johnson: "Nosa finally got back and got some reps today." Calls the injuries to Carter, Eguae "debilitating injuries" but they're back

Ellis Johnson says Johnathan Ford, yes Rudi, has been moved to corner full time right now

Ellis Johnson on injuries for 1st game: "We're going to be fine with most of them except for Johnathan and Dee."

Ellis Johnson: "Kris (Frost) has 2-3 days where he went backwards." Says Jake Holland has had more play, less missed tackles

Ellis Johnson says Kiehl Frazier picked up defensive terminology faster than JUCO guys

Ellis Johnson: "I think by the time we play we'll have a special pass rush group." Says it was ahrder to gauge progress at DB

Long and short of all that, ton of injuries to defensive players, only Ford and J Jones definitely out the first game

@JamesCrepea

Defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson says D has "a long way to go," but he's seen improvement in past 4 practices.

Ellis Johnson speaking of camp attrition, said last week at one point AU without best pass rusher, top returning tackler, 3 of top 4 CBs.

Johnson on injuries: "It is what it is. It's real. And that's something that's going to affect our ability to play. But that's football."

Johnson called Demetruce McNeal's dismissal "sad": "You don't want to lose your lead returning tackler, but you want to be a good player."

Johnson says freshman CB Kamryn Melton will add depth at CB.

Johnson said LB Jake Holland has been "more consistent" and had "more production" than Kris Frost in two scrimmages.

Johnson has been impressed with Kiehl Frazier's mental game at safety. He's able to make quick checks, adapt well.

Johnson on Kiehl Frazier: "I think he's learned everything we do, but right now he just doesn't have that quick twitch and reaction."

@AUBlog

Auburn D-coordinator Ellis Johnson ticking off a variety of injuries. "It's real, and it's something that will affect our ability to play."

Auburn's Ellis Johnson says safety Kiehl Frazier "is coming along. Once he gets comfortable back there, I think he'll play quite bit for us"

@AUGoldMine

:( Looks like there are going to be some growing pains with the defense. Just hope we're at least average and improve with each game.

Hate having Dee Ford out so long! All CEJ has been doing lately is either downplaying the defensive progress or saying it how it is...which could be worrisome. I miss the days we didn't have to outscore opponents on offense to win.

Hate having Dee Ford out so long! All CEJ has been doing lately is either downplaying the defensive progress or saying it how it is...which could be worrisome. I miss the days we didn't have to outscore opponents on offense to win.

And Jones wrote to a friend on twitter that he thinks he'll miss the season.

Justin Lee@byjustinlee4m

Via Jonathan Jones' Instagram. Take it for what it's worth. pic.twitter.com/qVmZmqDH9P

BSEdYklCEAA5BDE.png

:( Looks like there are going to be some growing pains with the defense. Just hope we're at least average and improve with each game.

Yeah. That was some disheartening news from CEJ today. Maybe our guys can grow up quickly.

BSEhRi_CEAATBoq.jpg

via @FootballAU

OC Rhett Lashlee on right tackle situation: "We've got a pretty good idea. We haven't etched anything in stone yet."

Lashlee said Avery Young is playing some guard: "He's one of those guys who's talented enough to play all five positions."

Lashlee: "I'll be honest right now, I don't know who our leading receiver is going to be."

Lashlee said Johnathan Ford volunteered to go to cornerback. He's a good RB, but #Auburn has five of them.

Lashlee says team is confident with Tre Mason, CAP and Corey Grant at RB. Nothing against younger guys, but their experience shows.

Lashlee says "guys are responding well" to Nick Marshall being starting QB. He expects improvement each week: "Upside is really high."

Lashlee said Alex Kozan is still getting 1st-team reps at LG. Avery Young been rotating there too. They've settled on top 6-8 OL to rotate.

Lashlee on WSU defense: "We expect a team to come in here very hungry, very disciplined. ... Our guys are going to have to be disciplined."

@AUBlog

Rhett Lashlee says Patrick Miller has been working a lot at RT, Avery Young at guard, no decision yet

Lashlee says Quan Bray and Jaylon Denson are leading WRs right now

Lashlee: "We love Rudi, we feel liek his future is really bright. At the end of the day, we need to win."

Lashlee: "Peyton Barber is a guy that from a physical standpoint we feel is ready to play." Says Mason, Cap, Grant all set ahead though

Lashlee recalls 3rd & 14 and 4 WR set that Marshall hit check down to Grant for 16 yard gain

Lashlee on Marshall: "So far he's been very coachable and he's done everything we've asked him to do."

@JamesCrepea

Lashlee said that Quan Bray and Jaylon Denson have continued to be the most consistent receivers in practice. "Young guys" coming along.

Lashlee said that Johnathan Ford volunteered to move to defensive back to help the team, much like Frazier did last week.

@wareagleextra

OC Rhett Lashlee on Nick Marshall: "All we want him to do is play within the system -- he doesn't have to carry everything."

@JHokanson

. I miss the days we didn't have to outscore opponents on offense to win.

No kidding.

Pretty much the only way u can win a game is to outscore ...but I see your point. Offense will have to carry the team ...

. I miss the days we didn't have to outscore opponents on offense to win.

No kidding.

Hate to break it to you but you have to out score the other team to win.

Yeah as soon as I posted it I knew I was going to get a smart ass response. I thinky ou guys knew what I meant, though...

Guest jojo1515

Looking more and more like Wash St game may be a shootout. Losing the best pass rusher, a quality safety and cornerback...not to mention losing a lot of reps at star and other cornerbacks...moving 2 offensive players to D...I just hope the young guys are ready. I don't ever remember this many injuries and players dismissed on one side of the ball. ...of course, we should still look better than last year

Yeah. That was some disheartening news from CEJ today. Maybe our guys can grow up quickly.

@ RIR - Thanks!

You're right WE10. Really need the young and JUCO guys to pick it up. Guys can't complain about getting an opportunity to play on D because we certainly need more bodies at several positions so it's time for some guys to rise to the occasion.

Today was def a punch in the gut after the relative high when marshall was named starter. Here's to hoping we repeat a 2010 scenario in that case. Great offense and opportunistic defense!

Defensively, looks like we will be struggling our first few games. If we cannot get them off the field on 3rd down, like last year, may be a very close game.

Easy guys. Don't push the panic button yet....CGM ran a physical camp, injuries were bound to happen - leadership and heart will determine how far this unit goes......

Archived