Historic Best Auburn DB's

Newbomb

Buddy McClinton- I've never seen a DB hit as hard and as consistently as him. In fact the hardest hit I ever saw live was by Buddy.

I'll agree with that. Buddy was also a very smart DB. That's how all those interceptions came to pass. Add Mike Fuller because of punt return ability as well as being a great DB. Carlos Rogers belongs in there too.

Carlos Rogers...and everyone else.

My first thought when seeing the title of this thread.

Carlos Rogers but I would like to put Junior Rosegreen on list too.

...and my immediate second thought.

Definitely all the DBs already mentioned also Chip Powell was a former walk-on with a ton of heart. He ran Jelks down in the 86 game and tied for the team lead in INTs that year.

One pretty good one not mentioned was David Irons. His only bad game I remember was GT. Pretty darn good for a guy with knee issues.

Yea he was pretty good. He can get in line with the rest of the DBs that have had a bad day against Calvin Johnson though

wasn't Bob Harris a member of the "Blues Brothers" that played in the early 80's? He was a very physical safety IIRC and got drafted.

Bob was a great safety. Played a number of years in the NFL with the Cardinals. He was one of my favorite players and still is.

I'll nominate Ken Alvis, Fred Smith, Brian Robinson, and Chris Shelling as one person.. and only when Best Auburn db's vs LSU.

Rogers, Buddy McClinton Rosegreen, 2nd Tucker Frederickson as a mention

and Kevin Porter was lights out for me in Super Tecmo Bowl whenever my KC Chiefs jonesing flared up.

• 3 months later...

As of Post # 36 this alphabetized list has the names mentioned so far in this thread (not counting mentions in quoted sections) with an approximate count of those mentions.

==========================

Ken Alvis (2)

Corey Barlow (2)

Dave Beck

Carlos Cheatham

Wade Christopher

Tucker Fredrickson (4)

Mike Fuller (3)

Bob Harris (3)

Rod Hood

David Irons (2)

Calvin Jackson (2)

David King (5)

David Langner (9)

Buddy McClinton (9)

Del McGee

Larry Melton

Shan Morris

Otis Mounds

Rob Pate

Kevin Porter (6)

Chip Powell

Jerraud Powers (9)

Brian Robinson (4)

Carlos Rogers (13)

Junior Rosegreen (6)

Chris Shelling (3)

Fred Smith (2)

Larry Willingham (3)

Fred Smith, Chris Shelling, Brian Robinson, Calvin Jackson, Ken Alvis, Otis Mounds, Del McGee. The db's in the 93-94 seasons were awesome.

Kevin Porter, Jerraud Powers, David Langner, etc. There have been some really good ones at AU.

^ This. The 93-94 teams had some real ball hawks in the secondary. I think that was the best AU secondary *as a whole* in the modern era. Calvin Jackson returned a 95 yarder for a TD against Wuerffel and company and Brian Robinson had so many big picks that I can't remember them all. And who can forget the '94 LSU interception game? Ranks up there as one of my all time favorite games ever. It pretty much sealed Curly Hallman's fate who ended up coaching HS football up here in north Alabammer.

But as far as pure talent, Carlos Rogers was AU's best corner ever. The 2003-2006 secondary is a close second to the 93-94 years. Hopefully EJ will have AU there again in the next year or two.

Fred Smith, Chris Shelling, Brian Robinson, Calvin Jackson, Ken Alvis, Otis Mounds, Del McGee. The db's in the 93-94 seasons were awesome.

Kevin Porter, Jerraud Powers, David Langner, etc. There have been some really good ones at AU.

Very good choices. Especially putting Fred Smith first even though I doubt you were ranking them in that order.

I'll nominate Ken Alvis, Fred Smith, Brian Robinson, and Chris Shelling as one person.. and only when Best Auburn db's vs LSU.

Rogers, Buddy McClinton Rosegreen, 2nd Tucker Frederickson as a mention

and Kevin Porter was lights out for me in Super Tecmo Bowl whenever my KC Chiefs jonesing flared up.

Was looking for a Smith mention!

I know we can't have a greatest Auburn DB list and not mention, the late great John Haygood "Little Pat" Paterson or Henry Clarence "Runt" Perkins!! The 1904 season may of been over one hundred years ago, but it stands as one of the greatest defensive performances an AU team has put out with out scoring opponents 73-11 in 5 games even if two of the games were practice games... Come on people can't forget the TRUE greats!!

As of Post # 36 this alphabetized list has the names mentioned so far in this thread (not counting mentions in quoted sections) with an approximate count of those mentions.

Ken Alvis (2)

Corey Barlow (2)

Dave Beck

Carlos Cheatham

Wade Christopher

Tucker Fredrickson (4)

Mike Fuller (3)

Bob Harris (3)

Rod Hood

David Irons (2)

Calvin Jackson (2)

David King (5)

David Langner (9)

Buddy McClinton (9)

Del McGee

Larry Melton

Shan Morris

Otis Mounds

Rob Pate

Kevin Porter (6)

Chip Powell

Jerraud Powers (9)

Brian Robinson (4)

Carlos Rogers (13)

Junior Rosegreen (6)

Chris Shelling (3)

Fred Smith (2)

Larry Willingham (3)

Aaron Savage (saivage?)

I couldn't wait to read this thread because IMO Auburn has had fewer world class DBs historically than virtually any perennial top 10 caliber program. The above list is a good reminder we've had some terrific ones (Rogers, Porter) and some guys who've distinguished themselves with individual great games in the midst of hit or miss careers (Robinson, Jackson, Langner). I agree 93-94 was probably our best modern season for DBs. I recall a guy named Pedro Cherry who was a very, very good DB when he played, but didn't blossom as a football player because he was preoccupied with his gaudy GPA for med-school puposes. What a waste. ;)

Thanks for the additional mentions. I'll be updating all of these lists after more names come in.

If you haven't seen them yet, there are similar threads on:

Linebackers

Defensive Line

Offensive Line

Wide Receivers

Running Backs

Quarterbacks

Kickers and Punters

There's also

http://www.aufamily....s-top-x-number/

Auburn's Greatest Players -- Top X-number in AU Football Forum

I'm hoping to get all your help in building an AUFamily version of the Top Some-Number of Auburn's Greatest.

These summary lists are just a step toward that project. More later...

Archived