Auburn Picked By Media to Finish Last in SEC.

WarDamnEagle#1

Sounds about right and Barbee probably won't survive that. Going into his 4th season his winning percentage is about 40% and in the SEC about 25%. A losing season on top of that should be unacceptable, even in the coaching graveyard Auburn has become. His 1st recruiting class would be (cough, cough) Seniors this year...

It's an accurate pick. When a team (Auburn) loses most of every recruiting class to transfers and has to start over every year that team tends to finish last.

Hard to argue with the pick.

One thing I don't agree with is naming a true freshman, that has never played one second of one game, pre-season POY. WTH is pre-season POY anyway?

Well, when you are at the bottom there is usually only one way to go. Take our football team for example...pre-season picked last in the SEC West and now some optimists are picking them to knock off a top 10 team on the road. It might not happen, but it is encouraging to see some one talking as if it could happen.

Personally, I'm not going to write off the BB season until the results are in.

Well, when you are at the bottom there is usually only one way to go. Take our football team for example...pre-season picked last in the SEC West and now some optimists are picking them to knock off a top 10 team on the road. It might not happen, but it is encouraging to see some one talking as if it could happen.

I agree...pre-season polls and awards are absolutely pointless. If at the end of the season, AU is the worst team in the SEC, then we make a change. If AU surprises some folks and TB gets things turned around, that's fine by me!

The football team is not a good example. The football roster is loaded with former four star recruits and a few five stars that had experience and just needed coaching up. There's not a single four star player on the basketball roster. Barbee has never recruited one.

I'm of the opinion that what we'll see from our mens team this year will be about like the football team of 2012. I'm planning on attending a number of basketball games at AU this season but they'll be womens games.

The football team is not a good example. The football roster is loaded with former four star recruits and a few five stars that had experience and just needed coaching up. There's not a single four star player on the basketball roster. Barbee has never recruited one.

I'm of the opinion that what we'll see from our mens team this year will be about like the football team of 2012. I'm planning on attending a number of basketball games at AU this season but they'll be womens games.

Now Mickey - you know the women will be better........

Now Mickey - you know the women will be better........

Let's see...the women's team is picked to finish near last also....and it has how many 4* and 5* players? So maybe M and others should save their money there too... and just write "I told you so" comments after each game. It is always fun to read all the negative comments from loyal AU fans.

The coach of women's team has shown the ability to retain players, thus a good team can be built with experience and continuity and 3* talent. The men's team has no continuity and thus no way to be competitive. It's not a difference in player talent, the difference is in the coach's ability to keep players in the program.

So far, Coach Flo has succeeded in this, Barbee has failed. Coach Flo's team made post season play last year, Barbee's did not and has not during his tenure at Auburn.

Negative comments are justified since Barbee has been given a new arena and pretty much the "keys to the kingdom" and this has resulted in him producing some of the worst basketball teams ever to play for AU.

If you want a PS on that, Coach Flo has been doing what appears to be an excellent job of recruiting while Barbee has not. So yes, the women's games should be well worth attending and the men's, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Barring some injury(ies), transfers, or other attrition.... Auburn finishes higher than 4 out of the 5 teams immediately picked above them.

I want some of what you are smoking.

Barring some injury(ies), transfers, or other attrition.... Auburn finishes higher than 4 out of the 5 teams immediately picked above them.

I want some of what you are smoking.

That still puts them at a sub-.500 record. What's so difficult to believe about that :dunno:

Have you seen the last three years?

I've seen the last 30, the last two up-front & courtside.

Do you think it's possible that we win 6 more games than we did last year?

I can only hope,

but no.

I admire your perseverence and bottomless optimism.

Thank you for being there.

War Eagle!

Archived