OPINION: AU NFL Draft Picks?

WeagleTheBeagle

I'm afraid Tre might go. I would hope he sticks around for one more monster season, the sky is the limit for the O next year.

I bet he'll stay another year.

While I think Tre is outstanding, and one of the most underrated backs in the country, I will say I don't think he'll have high enough draft stock that would make going early worth it.

Anything short of a SEC championship and Tre should/will stay. He'd have to see the potential our team has next year with almost everyone coming back.

Dee Ford keeps getting sacks at the rate he is he'll be taken in the 6th round at the latest

Jay Prosch won't be drafted but he should have a chance of being picked up by a team that still uses FB if he wants to pursue it.

Chris Davis is good enough to play somewhere but I don't think he'll have the stats to impress. If he can get to some senior bowls and get some workouts with teams someone will snatch him up for sure.

If Tre leaves now it'll be very reminiscent to Darvin Adams.

(On a side note imagine our d line if we still had CL this year!)

Hopefully, Jay will get an invite to the combine, because he will impress... both with strength and in drills. He has great hands catching the ball. Unfortunately, a blocking FB is strictly a "need" position. Hopefully he'll go in the draft, but if not, he most definitely will get picked up and have a long NFL career. It doesn't get much better as a lead blocker in the backfield...

Not to take anything away from Tre, but he is definitely not a pro style back. At best he's maybe a second/third rounder which I don't think is worth leaving early for

another thing to consider is if he can finish this year with 1,000 yards (tough to do when sharing the load) and have a 1,200 yard year next year 3 years in a row of 1,00o yard rushing and a good win record could put him up for a lot of awards

Not to take anything away from Tre, but he is definitely not a pro style back. At best he's maybe a second/third rounder which I don't think is worth leaving early for

another thing to consider is if he can finish this year with 1,000 yards (tough to do when sharing the load) and have a 1,200 yard year next year 3 years in a row of 1,00o yard rushing and a good win record could put him up for a lot of awards

To the first poster quoted: Why he isn't a "pro style back"? Dude is a beast. He's got every tool in the chest. I'm not sure how many hundreds of yards after contact he's got to rack up before he gets his due respect (even/especially from Auburn fans). If you're going to say his size- and forgive me if that's not where you're headed, but I hear it from way too many AU fans- he's bigger than Ray Rice, Jacquizz Rodgers, David Wilson and many other NFL RBs (WAY bigger than guys like Sproles and Woodhead). The days of every NFL RB being over 6' and 225 are long gone. Tre can catch the ball. He's going to own every personality test, background check etc. they throw at him. He might not have "elite" speed, but not every RB does (that's why it's called "elite"), and he's on that next tier. I agree that he would benefit by waiting, but I think he's absolutely a "pro style back".

To the second: Tre's currently on pace for over 1,300 yards this season.

Also, somebody mentioned Darvin Adams. I think Tre is in a vastly different situation in terms of financial need than Darvin was, so hopefully that plays to our favor.

Legit Heisman watch list guy if he comes back.

At Tre's size I don't see teams drafting him any higher than the 4th round. IMO that is not high enough to leave early.

Whether he can be a workhorse back or not, I believe the NFL teams will see him as a situational back which lowers draft stock. Also remember, RBs are rarely drafted any higher than late first round in today's pro game. There will likely be some RBs drafted ahead of him.

Most of our guys will only have one good college season under their belts and I can't see anyone spending a draft pick on players with such a short resume'.

Tre is certainly a solid RB but I bet there are 50 just like him scattered across FBS and FCS football. Better for him to help lead AU to the BCS next season.

I would love for Tre to stay another year... But if he does stay, then he'll potentially be battling underclass men UGA's Gurley & Marshall, UA's Yeldon, LSU's Hill, and SC's Davis in the 2015 draft. If he has an NFL future, this may be the best year for him to go.

I think right now Tre is probably a third round pick. He's got a lot of tools that NFL teams like and could potentially be an every down back. He kind of reminds me of Ray Rice. NFL teams just really don't value backs like they used to. Still, if he comes out he would probably fall in that 75-95 range. Dee Ford should probably go third or fourth round, he's fast but a little undersized and more suited to being an outside linebacker. I don't think he's as good as Lemonier was and we saw what happened with Corey in the draft process. Prosch is an above average FB, but not many FBs will get picked in the draft. Chris Davis had a chance, but he hasn't been productive enough and he's very injury prone. Don't see him drafted at this point. If we have more than 2 guys drafted I would be surprised.

I said before the season, and I will chime in about it again. I don't think Tre will be back next season. It is a brutal game and I don't blame him one bit. He won't be a first rounder this year IMO, but he won't be a first rounder after next season either. His family should not need the money, but I would never begrudge a kid for going after his dream. Having said all of that.....I do hope he comes back for his senior season.

Tre is a 4th rounder at best if he comes out. Running backs just aren't drafted high in today's NFL. Unless you are can't miss elite talent (cough....cough..Adrian Peterson), pretty much all running backs are drafted second round or later. Every down backs are becoming extinct in the NFL. It's a passing league and RBs careers are getting shorter and shorter due to the abuse they've taken playing the position for years. It's not worth it for NFL teams to spend millions drafting them high anymore.

Tre was picked as the #2 RB in the 2014 by edraft back in July. His stock has risen since then.

http://edraft.com/nf...g-back-preview/

Just assuming that list started out as accurate, I'm not sure he's moved ahead of Carey and Seastrunk is probably right up there with them.

Running Backs are less and less likely to go in the first round due to the relative shortness of their careers, so anywhere in the top 4 rounds and a rb would be smart to enter the draft and begin his rookie contract so that they will be able to negotiate at least one big deal in their career. JMO.

How about Reese? I would bet he's one of the best centers in the game right now. He's also the one I'd hate to see us lose the most.

How about Reese? I would bet he's one of the best centers in the game right now. He's also the one I'd hate to see us lose the most.

Centers have very low draft stock. Barrett Jones was considered the #1 C in the nation last year and he was drafted in the 4th round. I don't expect Reese to leave early, especially with Auburn to be in even better position to make a championship run in 2014.

Reese is Def my biggest concern. He is one of the best centers in the NCAA this year..I hope he stays one more year to build his stock. Losing him would be a huge blow next year.

Mason had 1000 yards in a pro-style attack and I think it would be fair to say that he didn't receive much help from anybody else on the team last season. That being said, I think he can be a good NFL RB. He is quick, he's pretty thick for a small guy, and he doesn't go down on first contact, and when he is tackled he is falling forward.

I'm not sure if I get the Ray Rice comparisons, I think Dyer was closer to Rice than Mason. Similar running styles and build.

Tre Mason is absolutely an NFL back, you guys are seriously underrating his potential draft stock. He is not small. He is an absolutely stocky and defined 205-207 pounds and would likely have no problems weighing in at 210 by the time the Combine came. Giovani Bernard was the first back drafted last year and he weighed 202 at the Combine and 204 at his Pro Day. Skill wise, there isn't much to say against him. Great short area burst, runs really hard, almost always falls forward, and he has some speed to break runs once he gets to the clear. He is also the type that will test well running and jumping, and will look good physically without pads.

I think he'd probably be a ~3rd round grade right about now given how his season is progressing. As mentioned; given the diminished career length and rate of injury, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for him to declare if he gets a 3rd round grade.

Archived