OPINION: AU NFL Draft Picks?

WeagleTheBeagle

Tre Mason is absolutely an NFL back, you guys are seriously underrating his potential draft stock. He is not small. He is an absolutely stocky and defined 205-207 pounds and would likely have no problems weighing in at 210 by the time the Combine came. Giovani Bernard was the first back drafted last year and he weighed 202 at the Combine and 204 at his Pro Day. Skill wise, there isn't much to say against him. Great short area burst, runs really hard, almost always falls forward, and he has some speed to break runs once he gets to the clear. He is also the type that will test well running and jumping, and will look good physically without pads.

I think he'd probably be a ~3rd round grade right about now given how his season is progressing. As mentioned; given the diminished career length and rate of injury, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for him to declare if he gets a 3rd round grade.

I agree with you meta. I just don't think the NFL will see Tre that way.

Mason had 1000 yards in a pro-style attack and I think it would be fair to say that he didn't receive much help from anybody else on the team last season. That being said, I think he can be a good NFL RB. He is quick, he's pretty thick for a small guy, and he doesn't go down on first contact, and when he is tackled he is falling forward.

I'm not sure if I get the Ray Rice comparisons, I think Dyer was closer to Rice than Mason. Similar running styles and build.

More similar builds, absolutely. But everything you just said about Tre's running style could also be said about Rice's and Dyer's. Tre's 4th down barbed wire crawl against A&M was practically an homage to Dyer. As for him being small, please see metafour's response. Also, add LeSean McCoy and Jamaal Charles to the list of every-down NFL backs who Tre is comparable with size-wise.

Tre Mason is absolutely an NFL back, you guys are seriously underrating his potential draft stock. He is not small. He is an absolutely stocky and defined 205-207 pounds and would likely have no problems weighing in at 210 by the time the Combine came. Giovani Bernard was the first back drafted last year and he weighed 202 at the Combine and 204 at his Pro Day. Skill wise, there isn't much to say against him. Great short area burst, runs really hard, almost always falls forward, and he has some speed to break runs once he gets to the clear. He is also the type that will test well running and jumping, and will look good physically without pads.

I think he'd probably be a ~3rd round grade right about now given how his season is progressing. As mentioned; given the diminished career length and rate of injury, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for him to declare if he gets a 3rd round grade.

Shhhhh!!! Tre might hear about this and think it's a good idea to leave!

Seriously, I want him back next year, but I want him to do what he feels is best for Tre Mason. We have other RB talent, but we would sure benefit from having him another year. If he could make an NFL roster next year, staying at AU another year would effectively shorten his pro career by a year.

You have to remember that the NFL "experts" always see Gus's guys....RBs, QBs or whatever as "system" players which means they devalue the yards and TDs those players score.

How many "experts" had declared right off the bat that Cam would not make it in the NFL? Then again, if Tre were to go early, the guy(s) behind him would be racking up similar yardage.... so to some extent it is the system I guess.

I just hope Tre does what's best for Tre.. I would love to have him back but our RB group is great and it will be for years to come. Peyton Barber is going to be a beast, CAP is already a beast, Rudy has shown his ability and obviously Corey Grant is just 200 pound lightning. We'll be fine if he leaves but I'd rather he stay.

You have to remember that the NFL "experts" always see Gus's guys....RBs, QBs or whatever as "system" players which means they devalue the yards and TDs those players score.

How many "experts" had declared right off the bat that Cam would not make it in the NFL? Then again, if Tre were to go early, the guy(s) behind him would be racking up similar yardage.... so to some extent it is the system I guess.

Gus made Ben Tate- another RB who Auburn fans never adequately appreciated- a 2nd round pick.

And, uh, Cam was the #1 pick overall. I'm not sure he's a good example of Gus's players getting devalued.

Before the end of the year, especially if we keep winning, Tre Mason will no longer be one of the best RBs in the country that is relatively unknown. His stock will rise, as will many of our other outstanding players (Chris Davis, Prosch, etc).

I hope Tre stays, but wish the best for him. If he stays another year and 2014 is as good as we believe it can be, his stock can only rise. 2014 should be magic (like this year, even better) with all of our starters (with the addition of new ones coming in), that will be on the 2014 season.

Great days ahead for AU!!

Imagine Marshall with another year to grow!

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the ability of guys who evaluate football player talent levels for a living to successfully do their jobs. They may not be bang on every time but they are definitely a lot better at it than any of us are. The idea that they might look at a player and say he played under GM's heavy run offense undervalues his ability to run in the NFL seems a bit lunatic to me, no offense. I'm pretty sure preconceived notions of player talent based on the school they went to is not the model.

Jerry Rice says hi.

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the ability of guys who evaluate football player talent levels for a living to successfully do their jobs. They may not be bang on every time but they are definitely a lot better at it than any of us are. The idea that they might look at a player and say he played under GM's heavy run offense undervalues his ability to run in the NFL seems a bit lunatic to me, no offense. I'm pretty sure preconceived notions of player talent based on the school they went to is not the model.

Jerry Rice says hi.

Anyone ever pay attention to the guys who are introduced on TV as NFL starters and where they went to school? Idaho, Central Michigan, Tenn. State; those guys didn't get starting jobs based on hype. They performed well at the combine, kept their heads on straight (most of them), and worked hard to make the team. The combine is where the rubber meets the road. That, and NFL days at the schools.

Gus made Ben Tate- another RB who Auburn fans never adequately appreciated- a 2nd round pick.

And, uh, Cam was the #1 pick overall. I'm not sure he's a good example of Gus's players getting devalued.

Cam was #1 because the Panthers were desperate for a QB....and they took a lot of grief over the pick. Not saying the "experts" are correct, just noting that not a single NFL "expert" (that I can recall) thought Cam was #1 and all the talk was about the simple system that Gus ran and how it did not prepare his players for the NFL.

While at Tulsa and then at AU, Gus's system enabled several QBs and RBs to chalk up some impressive stats.....and despite his high draft pick, Ben Tate has generally been a reserve for his career. Tre is great for the AU / Gus system and I hope he is here next season when things should really get interesting.

and despite his high draft pick, Ben Tate has generally been a reserve for his career.

Ben Tate is one of the most highly coveted backs in the league. He has been a 'reserve' because the guy playing in front of him has put up an average of ~1,421 yards and ~13 touchdowns per year over the past three seasons; and that is just counting the running game.

Cam was #1 because the Panthers were desperate for a QB....and they took a lot of grief over the pick.

Buffalo would have drafted Cam had they had the #1 pick. The team picking #1 almost always "needs" a QB; so to assume that he only went #1 because Carolina "needed" a QB is a bit ridiculous.

MY Bold Look Into The NFL Future ( FA= Free Agent Signing)

2014 Draft- RB Tre Mason, DE Dee Ford (as LB), Chris Davis, Cody Parkey ,Jay Prosch (FA), Steven Clarke (FA), Craig Sanders (FA)

2015 Draft-RB Cameron Artist Payne, RB Corey Grant, LT Greg Robinson ( as LG), C Reese Dismukes, S Robensen Theirize ( as Nickle), DT Gabe Wright , DT Ben Bradley,Nick Marshall (as DB) (FA), Jonathan Mincy (FA), Jeff Whitaker (FA),LaDarius Owens (FA), Angelo Blackson (FA), Jermaine Whitehead (FA), Ricardo Louis (FA), CJ Uzomah (FA), Brandon Fulse (FA), Chad Slade (FA)

2016 Draft- QB Jeremy Johnson, WR Tony Stevens, RT Avery Young, DE Carl Lawson,DE Elijah Daniels,DT Montravius Adams,S Josh Hosley, LB Cassanova McKinzy, Justin Garrett (FA),Kris Frost (FA),Anthony Swain (FA), Sammie Coates (FA), Alex Kozan ( FA)

2017 Draft-RB Jonathan Ford,LT Shon Coleman, RG Jordan Diamond, WR Marcus Davis (FA)

41 players on current roster will make an NFL team over the next 4 yrs

MY Bold Look Into The NFL Future ( FA= Free Agent Signing)

2014 Draft- RB Tre Mason, DE Dee Ford (as LB), Chris Davis, Cody Parkey ,Jay Prosch (FA), Steven Clarke (FA), Craig Sanders (FA)

2015 Draft-RB Cameron Artist Payne, RB Corey Grant, LT Greg Robinson ( as LG), C Reese Dismukes, S Robensen Theirize ( as Nickle), DT Gabe Wright , DT Ben Bradley,Nick Marshall (as DB) (FA), Jonathan Mincy (FA), Jeff Whitaker (FA),LaDarius Owens (FA), Angelo Blackson (FA), Jermaine Whitehead (FA), Ricardo Louis (FA), CJ Uzomah (FA), Brandon Fulse (FA), Chad Slade (FA)

2016 Draft- QB Jeremy Johnson, WR Tony Stevens, RT Avery Young, DE Carl Lawson,DE Elijah Daniels,DT Montravius Adams,S Josh Hosley, LB Cassanova McKinzy, Justin Garrett (FA),Kris Frost (FA),Anthony Swain (FA), Sammie Coates (FA), Alex Kozan ( FA)

2017 Draft-RB Jonathan Ford,LT Shon Coleman, RG Jordan Diamond, WR Marcus Davis (FA)

41 players on current roster will make an NFL team over the next 4 yrs

L. Owens would get grafted way before Wright or Bradley would... He's playing lights out, and he has tremendous upside.

According to NFL Draft Scout (players are ranked according to where they rank at their position in their draft class)

#2 FB Jay Prosch-2014

#3 LS Jake Lembke-2014

#3 OT Shon Coleman-2017

#3 DT Montravious Adams-2017

#4 P Steven Clark-2014

#5 DE Carl Lawson- 2017

#7 OLB Dee Ford- 2014

#8 C Reese Dismukes- 2015

#11 RB Tre Mason- 2015

#12 QB Jeremy Johnson- 2017

#12 OG Alex Kozan- 2017

#14 SS Josh Holsey- 2016

#14 OLB Cassanova McKinzy- 2016

#14 OT Greg Robinson- 2016

#14 K Cody Parkey- 2014

One thing that I thought was interesting was that most of our team that is considered good enough to be in the top 15 in their draft class is in the 2017 class

(Adams, Coleman, Lawson, Johnson, Kozan) are freshman which speaks some good things for the future

According to NFL Draft Scout (players are ranked according to where they rank at their position in their draft class)

#2 FB Jay Prosch-2014

#3 LS Jake Lembke-2014

#3 OT Shon Coleman-2017

#4 P Steven Clark-2014

#5 DE Carl Lawson- 2017

#7 OLB Dee Ford- 2014

#11 RB Tre Mason- 2015

#12 OG Alex Kozan- 2017

#14 SS Josh Holsey- 2016

#14 K Cody Parkey- 2014

One thing that I thought was interesting was that most of our team that is considered good enough to be in the top 15 in their draft class is in the 2017 class

(Adams, Coleman, Lawson, Johnson, Kozan) are freshman which speaks some good things for the future

Great stuff, just as others like it that have been posted in this thread but can people please post links so those of us who want to go to these sites to check this stuff out can? TIA

Jerry Rice says hi.

I have no doubt that those guys are better at their jobs than we are, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss our opinions. If it were an exact science, they woulda figured it out by now.

Ryan Leaf says hi.

Jerry Rice says hi.

I have no doubt that those guys are better at their jobs than we are, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss our opinions. If it were an exact science, they woulda figured it out by now.

Ryan Leaf says hi.

That's what I did, discuss my opinion... my opinion that it is near lunacy to think these guys would jeopardize their jobs by disregarding players simply based on what school they attended and what system they played in.

No one once said that discussion shouldn't be had and folks shouldn't share their opinions. That's the exact reason I decided to share my opinion that the previously shared opinion was absurd. Why do people always claim their right to share an opinion is being infringed upon because someone disagrees with them lately?

I mean, WTF, are we trying to get athletes who hope to play in the NFL one day NOT to come to Auburn by making some ridiculous assertion that their talent review will be downgraded before the draft simply because Gus is the man and has a helluva 'system'?

Jack Torrance says hi.

170px-The_shining_heres_johnny.jpg

Jerry Rice says hi.

Ryan Leaf says hi.

That's what I did, discuss my opinion... my opinion that it is near lunacy to think these guys would jeopardize their jobs by disregarding players simply based on what school they attended and what system they played in.

No one once said that discussion shouldn't be had and folks shouldn't share their opinions. That's the exact reason I decided to share my opinion that the previously shared opinion was absurd. Why do people always claim their right to share an opinion is being infringed upon because someone disagrees with them lately?

I mean, WTF, are we trying to get athletes who hope to play in the NFL one day NOT to come to Auburn by making some ridiculous assertion that their talent review will be downgraded before the draft simply because Gus is the man and has a helluva 'system'?

Jack Torrance says hi.

170px-The_shining_heres_johnny.jpg

The original point to which you objected was that many NFL talent "experts" discount stats from "system" players. There were plenty of people who are paid a lot of money for their opinions who thought Cam did not have what it takes to be a successful NFL QB. Fortunately for Cam and the Panthers, there were others who disagreed. NFL talent scouts "jeopardize their jobs" every time they make a judgment on a player, which means by definition their jobs are in constant jeopardy. Whether they base those opinions on where they played in college, or the alignment of the stars, or physical measurables and Wonderlic scores, they get some right and some wrong. Maybe a lot wrong.

Since the actual scouts employed by NFL teams rarely make their opinions public, I suspect the OP was referring to some of the media-anointed "experts" who have frequently discounted "system" players, saying they could not produce at the NFL level.

To state that someone is a lunatic for expressing an opinion you disagree with is kinda like saying, "I win by default because you're stupid."

And I don't get the Jack Torrance reference, so I have no snappy comeback to say hi to you.

Not sure if I really buy that, the only position that really gets devalued in a 'system' is the quarterback. A runningback generally doesn't see that happen and neither do OL, TEs, and WRs. Even Georgia Tech's WRs and runningbacks are generally not hurt too badly in the draft by the stat distribution.

I think it would really only occur in a situation like Nick Marshall. Say that next year he puts up unbelievable stats. (We all hope he does but this is a hypothetical) NFL guys would say that his size and elusiveness won't be that useful in the NFL because at the QB position that's just not going to work and they will the prodigious stat totals because they will say that the offense he was in put him in the position to have that success but that it wouldn't work in the NFL because of size/speed differences.

Just my 2 cents.

#2 FB Jay Prosch-2014

#3 LS Jake Lembke-2014

#3 OT Shon Coleman-2017

#4 P Steven Clark-2014

#5 DE Carl Lawson- 2017

#7 OLB Dee Ford- 2014

#11 RB Tre Mason- 2015

#12 OG Alex Kozan- 2017

#14 SS Josh Holsey- 2016

#14 K Cody Parkey- 2014

Great stuff, just as others like it that have been posted in this thread but can people please post links so those of us who want to go to these sites to check this stuff out can? TIA

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/playersbyteam.php?DSTeamId=90&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

Archived