A valid argument for USC/OK not being in OB.

SEC FAN

Can anyone make a valid argument why either USC or Oklahoma should not be in the Orange Bowl using variables such as schedule strength, margin of victory, etc.? I completely agree AU should be in the OB but I also think USC and OK deserve to be in it also. I think there needs to be a playoff system. Are AU fan complaints more that they should be in it too or is it either OK or USC doesn't deserve to be in it?

If all three teams win out, Auburn's in the Sugar...what else is there to say?

I don't know about the rest of the Auburn fans here but I'm just tired of rehashing BCS scenarios and who deserves what because of this and that. The ONLY way we get to the Orange is if #1 or #2 drops a game...I'm over it.

We're on the verge of our first SEC championship in I don't want to know how many years. I'm thankful for that and whatever happens after that will just happen...

WAR DAMN EAGLE!! BEAT TENNESSEE!! AGAIN!!

Oklahoma shouldn't be in there because they slipped in the back door last year, it would only be justice for them to be the odd man out this year. USC deserves to be in there because they got left out last year. That's all I needed to know if I were casting a vote...

Anyone that say OU or USC doesn't deserve it just as much as AU is probably grabbing at straws. Right now there are three teams which deserve a shot, but only 2 will get that shot. Most of us are frustrated because it looks like we are the team that is going to get the shaft. After watching USC play ND, I think they are better than OU. OU's defense is suspect and a good offense can outscore them. Myself, I feel AU is better than OU, but that is just my opinion. I'd like to see USC against our defense.

Oklahoma shouldn't be in there because they slipped in the back door last year, it would only be justice for them to be the odd man out this year.  USC deserves to be in there because they got left out last year.  That's all I needed to know if I were casting a vote...

127353[/snapback]

Do you really think this years vote should be affected by last years vote? Shouldn't you vote for the two teams you think are the best and nothing more?

Anyone that say OU or USC doesn't deserve it just as much as AU is probably grabbing at straws.  Right now there are three teams which deserve a shot, but only 2 will get that shot.  Most of us are frustrated because it looks like we are the team that is going to get the shaft.  After watching USC play ND, I think they are better than OU.  OU's defense is suspect and a good offense can outscore them.  Myself, I feel AU is better than OU, but that is just my opinion.  I'd like to see USC against our defense.

127355[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more with all your points. I think AU is better than OU. AU against USC would be a hell of a match-up as would have LSU against USC last year.

Oklahoma shouldn't be in there because they slipped in the back door last year, it would only be justice for them to be the odd man out this year.  USC deserves to be in there because they got left out last year.  That's all I needed to know if I were casting a vote...

127353[/snapback]

Do you really think this years vote should be affected by last years vote? Shouldn't you vote for the two teams you think are the best and nothing more?

127438[/snapback]

I have heard "experts" ESPN, coaches, sports radio etc. say that AUBURN is hurt in the voting this year because of the USC loss last year.

But if that is the case, why isn't Oklahoma hurt by loosing the BIG12 championship last year and by having their butts drilled by LSU?

An undefeated team deserves the right to compete for the title, period. What AU fans have a problem with is the lack of objectivity and the secretive nature of how teams are selected.

Remember, this is not the first occasion for Auburned to be screwed out of an NC because of media favorites. Nobody - and I mean nobody - questions whether the media has shown favortism towards certain teams....

127353[/snapback]

127438[/snapback]

Looking at this year's performance, there is no difference, you can argue forever, and there is nothing to convince any fan of these 3 schools why their undefeated team shouldn't go; that's why I looked outside what happened on the field this year...

It is splitting hairs somewhat, but I think AU should be in the Top 2 and in the OB because:

1. AU is #1 in the Nation in scoring defense and we have the best D of the 3 and defense wins championships. :cheer:

2. #10 in Strength of Schedule according to the NCAA web site, while OU is something like 21 and USC even further down :big:

3. We beat three teams that were ranked in the top 10, when we beat them, OU and USC each beat one. OU's win over Texas to me (and I live in TX) is overvalued...UT is so one dimensional, if you can stop their two running plays to Benson and the QB draw you can shut UT out. :moon:

4. OU allowed 70 pts to OSU and A&M on back to back weekends. AU has allowed only 100 pts for the season. A&M lost to BAYLOR the weekend before the OU game. :moon:

5. AU has been the most consistently good team of the three. :cheer:

6. The out of conference schedule argument is a smoke screen, see #2. Scheduling slightly more difficult sure wins is not a differentiator and those are offset by a more difficult in conference schedule played by AU. :moon:

Go UCLA, Go Buffs! :cheer:

WDE! :au:

Jack

SEC Fan,

I think alot of it has to do with our love for Auburn and wanting our team to play in the Orange Bowl. If Oklahoma or USC were in 3rd, their fans would be complaining to. It sucks that a team that goes through the SEC season undefeated doesn't get a at least a shot at the National Title. This would be true of any SEC team. All 3 if they finish undefeated deserve to play for the Title. It just sucks to us that it appears that Auburn is going to be the one left out. We have beaten more Top 10 teams than the other 2. Our defense is ranked higher than the other 2.

It is splitting hairs somewhat, but I think AU should be in the Top 2 and in the OB because:

1.  AU is #1 in the Nation in scoring defense and we have the best D of the 3 and defense wins championships.  :cheer:

2.  #10 in Strength of Schedule according to the NCAA web site, while OU is something like 21 and USC even further down  :big:

3.  We beat three teams that were ranked in the top 10, when we beat them, OU and USC each beat one.  OU's win over Texas to me (and I live in TX) is overvalued...UT is so one dimensional, if you can stop their two running plays to Benson and the QB draw you can shut UT out.  :moon:

4.  OU allowed 70 pts to OSU and A&M on back to back weekends.  AU has allowed only 100 pts for the season.  A&M lost to BAYLOR the weekend before the OU game.  :moon:

5.  AU has been the most consistently good team of the three.  :cheer:

6.  The out of conference schedule argument is a smoke screen, see #2.  Scheduling slightly more difficult sure wins is not a differentiator and those are offset by a more difficult in conference schedule played by AU.  :moon:

Go UCLA, Go Buffs!  :cheer:

WDE!  :au:

Jack

127518[/snapback]

Do you have a link to point # 2. I think that's the most important point. It affects point # 1, 4, 5 and # 6. I haven't seen any sources indicating AU had the most difficult schedule overall.

1.  AU is #1 in the Nation in scoring defense and we have the best D of the 3 and defense wins championships.  :cheer:

2.  #10 in Strength of Schedule according to the NCAA web site, while OU is something like 21 and USC even further down  :big:

3.  We beat three teams that were ranked in the top 10, when we beat them, OU and USC each beat one.  OU's win over Texas to me (and I live in TX) is overvalued...UT is so one dimensional, if you can stop their two running plays to Benson and the QB draw you can shut UT out.  :moon:

4.  OU allowed 70 pts to OSU and A&M on back to back weekends.  AU has allowed only 100 pts for the season.  A&M lost to BAYLOR the weekend before the OU game.  :moon:

5.  AU has been the most consistently good team of the three.  :cheer:

6.  The out of conference schedule argument is a smoke screen, see #2.  Scheduling slightly more difficult sure wins is not a differentiator and those are offset by a more difficult in conference schedule played by AU.  :moon:

Go UCLA, Go Buffs!  :cheer:

WDE!  :au:

Jack

127518[/snapback]

Great post. I agree 100%!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!

:au::cheer::cheer::au:

How many teams currently ranked in the top 15 has each beaten?

AU would beat OU head-on in a football game.

127606[/snapback]

yep...judging by simple wins and losses our schedule is the toughest out of the three....we also have a much larger margin of victory than Oklahom per the NYTimes website and computer poll...the NYT computer poll doesn't matter in the bcs, but i think we will move up in it after this week assuming we win, but I could be wrong

How many teams currently ranked in the top 15 has each beaten?

AU would beat OU head-on in a football game.

pert of the problem is that the computer pols the bcs uses don't go by simple wons and losses...therefore usc gets a lot more credit for beating a 2 loss virginia tech team than we get credit for beating a 2 loss tennessee team...and we get penalized heavily for beating a 1-aa citadel team no matter what their record...and of course things like maine beating miss st have hurt us.

I looked at the NCAA SOS page, and it is completely different than what you will see on Sagarin, ELO-Chess, etc. Sagarin has us rated at 50 or below, and the NCAA has us rated 10. Why such a difference? Sagarin and ELO-Chess are what the BCS uses, but then the NCAA comes up with their own list, and it completely contradicts what is used for the BCS system. The more I know about all of this, the more screwed up it becomes. All I can do is keep repeating.........stupid system......stupid system...........The M in MNC couldn't be more true!!!!

If you look at that site, which by the way is an excellent comparison of the three schools, under the BCS computer ratings, Sagarin is the one that is hurting us the most. Where we are either 2 or 3 on the other 5, he has us rated at 5. He also says the SEC is the 6 toughest conference. I looked his SOS ratings over closely last night and they are completely out of whack. In another post I used the example of New Mexico (Mountain West Conference). He gives them a SOS rating of 31, and the only (close to) good team they played is Utah. The rest would be in the bottom third of the SEC. Then he rates AU SOS around 50. Yet the BCS pays him money for him to provide his rating service to them. I wonder what the BCS would look like if his ratings were removed. I'm sure it would be a lot closer than it is. Oh well.......he's the expert who knows everything and I'm just a frustrated fan who knows nothing.

Sorry, I got beat on the return the link post. :D I have a lot of Big 12 folks here in Houston that agree that AU would beat OU. And many actually want to see us get there because of Stoops and his NU attempt to run up the score and other issues. I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone could look objectively at these two teams and their resumes/performances and not put AU #2 Hey I sound like Trev and Mark! Even Corso!). The fact that there are writers in the SE (an in AL) that are voting OU over AU in their votes is purely agenda driven and not based in any fact. Gattis should be ashamed of his pro-uat make au look bad at any opportunity votes. If I lived in North AL, I would cancel my subscription to the H'ville paper...it is sad that we have a SEC opportunity to win back to back National titles and we have jackasses like Gattis playing personal politics instead of voting with the facts.

SEC Fan,

I think alot of it has to do with our love for Auburn and wanting our team to play in the Orange Bowl. If Oklahoma or USC were in 3rd, their fans would be complaining to. It sucks that a team that goes through the SEC season undefeated doesn't get a at least a shot at the National Title. This would be true of any SEC team. All 3 if they finish undefeated deserve to play for the Title. It just sucks to us that it appears that Auburn is going to be the one left out. We have beaten more Top 10 teams than the other 2. Our defense is ranked higher than the other 2.

127527[/snapback]

Archived