Wesley Person Jr...

AUpocalypse

I see players signed by Miss State, bammer, UAB, Virginia Tech and Purdue on that list. You can't tell me there aren't a few that could have helped Auburn. Another reason Barbee has got to go.

Perhaps....but face it....none of those schools are really basketball powers.....in fact, they are generally no better than AU.

Only one or two graduating HS players in the state of Alabama are a serious Div 1 prospects. The state is covered up in 4* and 5* football players...and yet less than a handful of 3* and 4* basketball players who can qualify at a Div 1 school. Just saying that no coach is going to have a strong national program (or even a strong SEC program) depending on local talent.

And again, WP for example, looks good because the talent level in the state is so bad that a nationally unranked 1A HS player looks to be one of the best in the state. If AU were just playing teams made up of HS grads from the state of Alabama, go for him....but otherwise, I expect there are some better prospects out there to spend our scholarships on.

How many can we sign this year...maybe 3?

I'm just saying....he might be a good kid and given some time, might be able to play at AU....but we need to aim higher if we want to build the program.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AU64, I think you may be a bit off in your perception of the AU BB program. We currently have no players on the team that were highly sought after high school players. So i'm not sure why you think AU would suddenly start pulling in those types of players and why you think that should suddenly be a requirement for AU to even look at players. Have any of the players in that game been offered by Belmont? They have had a much more successful BB program when compared to AU. Miss St, UAB, and Purdue are definitely better programs than AU, but I will give you that we are about on par with bama and tech though i'm sure they have better records than us over the last 5 years. I agree that I hope one day we can start pulling in nationally ranked players but I do not think we can just say we want them and they start to come. I think we have to pull in some under the radar guys like this who may even want to come to AU just because it is AU. Perhaps these types of players would appreciate the opportunity they have been given and will try really hard to stick around and improve with the basketball team. Then over some time if we can start to win some games then we can start pulling in these national guys you speak of.

I think the division level a kid plays in is way over stated. Plus the fact that WP Jr.s, Dad and Uncle both played at the same HS. I think we all know how that worked out. I think it would be a big mistake not to go after him, after watching the film on him. I don't think if TB is still at AU he will go after him simply because of all of the pressure he would possibly feel to play him. Right now I have no respect for TBs ability to know talent. He also has an ego the size of Texas. JMO

Grave...we just don't have time right now IMO to bring in guys that are a couple years from contributing. We're losing three starters and who ever is coaching next season needs some players that can contribute in year #1. Granted we are not in a position to fight it out with Kentucky and schools like that but I'm not talking "highly sought".....but most of the guys TB signed were solid 3* players that had other Div 1 opportunities and if we can get and keep some more of those guys we will be competitive.

As for the teams signing the current crop of Alabama HS grads, check their records. You might be going by past reputations but at the moment, none are any better than AU ....all are near the bottom of their respective conferences.

There must be two dozen colleges and universities in the state playing competitive basketball (men) and I bet not more than 5 or 6 have winning records in their conferences. Basketball in the state of Alabama is awful...from high school all the way up to the big two of Auburn and Alabama.

If from the beginning Barbee had picked up kids like WP and developed them over 3-4 years we would have a solid program. Once you have a solid program better players would be interested in. AU64 it looks to me like Barbee followed your advice he found some players who looked better but didn't stay. Look what we have now.

Over the last 15 years UAB has been a much better BB program them Auburn and they have found and developed a lot of players from Alabama and surrounding states. We should be recruiting the same basic areas that we recruit for football, Alabama, Georgia, Florida. As for why you keep saying WP is not very good he has shown when he played against some of the best AAU players that he could hang with them.

http://www.slamonlin...breakout-recap/

At this point in time we need solid coachable players who will buy into a system and work hard to make the system work. I am not saying we don't try and get higher rated players but especially when building a program where it is hard to recruit 4 and 5 Star players you need to start from the bottom and build up.

Grave...we just don't have time right now IMO to bring in guys that are a couple years from contributing. We're losing three starters and who ever is coaching next season needs some players that can contribute in year #1. Granted we are not in a position to fight it out with Kentucky and schools like that but I'm not talking "highly sought".....but most of the guys TB signed were solid 3* players that had other Div 1 opportunities and if we can get and keep some more of those guys we will be competitive.

As for the teams signing the current crop of Alabama HS grads, check their records. You might be going by past reputations but at the moment, none are any better than AU ....all are near the bottom of their respective conferences.

There must be two dozen colleges and universities in the state playing competitive basketball (men) and I bet not more than 5 or 6 have winning records in their conferences. Basketball in the state of Alabama is awful...from high school all the way up to the big two of Auburn and Alabama.

And all those players that Barbee signed are no longer at AU. From past posts you have made I believe you feel none of those guys were going to contribute anyways so it appears that being nationally ranked hasn't helped identify good basketball players. So i'm not sure why you feel that is a good indicator of player talent or that those players would help elevate our program. I mean look at the team now. We have a walk on Freshmen playing major minutes right now. Was he nationally ranked? Would it have been a waste to give him a scholly? These are the type of players that we must find.

I guess in the end we both agree that the talent level of the team needs to be raised but we just have different opinions on how that should be accomplished. I agree that college level BB is not looking good in alabama right now but I disagree that their are no good players at the high school level. Alabama usually produces at least a dozen that go on to play Div 1 ball.

What do you mean we don't have time? We are about to have a new coach who will have atleast 5 years or so to see what he can do. Now is the perfect time to bring in some guys so you can start to build the team. What can absolutely not happen again is for AU to loose 80% of the players they sign over a 5 year period so we are never able to build anything.

There are 3 seniors, plus six freshmen. If Barbee's signees hold true to form five of those freshmen (80%) will be gone by the end of this academic term. So we'll be able to sign the maximum of eight again this year.

It's to be hoped that the new coach finds guys like W. Person Jr. that are likely to stick with Auburn and help build a program.

Four for this year + whomever leaves during the coaching change, assuming the two walk-ons remain walk-ons

Just want to add that current player Alex Thompson was a 2A player in ALHS.

Four for this year + whomever leaves during the coaching change, assuming the two walk-ons remain walk-ons

Just want to add that current player Alex Thompson was a 2A player in ALHS.

Nice that he got his scholly...but note that as a 6-8*' player, rated the 2A player of the year, he was averaging 25ppg and almost 13 rebounds and yet only had offers from smaller schools...which was probably what one would expect considering the level of competition he was playing at.

Thompson seems like a good kid and likely will stick all four years and develop into a solid ballplayer, especially if he puts on some more weight and muscle. He had to earn his Div 1 scholarship ....which he did...and other kids without the credentials to get offers from the larger schools can roll the dice and do the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Interest in Person picked up a bit.. Offers now from UAB, Troy, Western Carolina, and Mercer who knocked off Duke this weekend.

Drake, West Virginia, La-Monroe, UNLV, Tulane, and Dayton who cracked the Sweet Sixteen are also interested.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/brantleys_wesley_person_jr_sha.html

AL.com really dropped the ball with the Al-Miss Allstar game last Friday. Just not much at all said about it. I heard he had a good game, but I haven't gotten any good info yet. Person hit a 3 and a free throw, had 1 rebound in 15 minutes of playing time. Devin Booker (UK commit) stole the show. There are a few pics of Person guarding him, that's about it. AL won the game 90-83.

http://highschoolsports.al.com/news/article/649698779963320696/boys-basketball-albertvilles-norris-leads-way-as-alabama-all-stars-hold-off-mississippi/#/0

bring this kid in so I can shut up about him for a few months!!

Being him in if there's no one better than him. I love the thought of a legacy torching it up at AU, but not at the expense of a better player.

(No, I don't know who would be better, or if there is a better player we could get. Just an opinion.)

Considering our recruiting issues right now, I'd want to bring in kids who really want to be here and wanna play for AU. I wager he fits the bill.

Considering our recruiting issues right now, I'd want to bring in kids who really want to be here and wanna play for AU. I wager he fits the bill.

Recruiting issues? What recruiting issues?

Who's saying that BP is having (or will have) any difficulty recruiting guys that can play in the SEC? We have maybe two or three schollys to give this year and they should be for guys who have a good chance of playing right away. I expect BP to spend them on JUCOs or some solid prospects.

Otherwise....I'm not a kid anymore but I fit the other two criteria.....and I still have a couple years of eligibility left I think. :) So how do I sign up?

Who's saying that BP is having (or will have) any difficulty recruiting guys that can play in the SEC? We have maybe two or three schollys to give this year and they should be for guys who have a good chance of playing right away. I expect BP to spend them on JUCOs or some solid prospects.

Otherwise....I'm not a kid anymore but I fit the other two criteria.....and I still have a couple years of eligibility left I think. :)/> So how do I sign up?

If you can shoot and look good in Under Armor shoes, you got a shot.

I was referring to Bruce's inability to recruit at all right now, which is nada, none, and zero. Those recruiting difficulties.

Otherwise....I'm not a kid anymore but I fit the other two criteria.....and I still have a couple years of eligibility left I think. :)/> So how do I sign up?

If you can shoot and look good in Under Armor shoes, you got a shot.

I was referring to Bruce's inability to recruit at all right now, which is nada, none, and zero. Those recruiting difficulties.

Bruce is recruiting on ESPN, FAN680, Mike and Mike, etc....plus he has a couple assistants doing some work too. JMO but expect that AU will come up with a few good prospects.

As for me....damn....gotta use UA shoes huh? I don't know. Normally I play in what ever Walmart has on special. :)

Being him in if there's no one better than him. I love the thought of a legacy torching it up at AU, but not at the expense of a better player.

(No, I don't know who would be better, or if there is a better player we could get. Just an opinion.)

The numbers don't make sense to me, but I've heard we can bring in two more. At this point, I'm hoping AU is able to talk Person into walking on with a chance for a scholly later.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh....i'll let our new coach make the call on who he wants to recruit for now. Now if 4 years from now we still suck then i'll start telling him who to sign! lol

Did he really commit to Troy? I truly thought we had the best shot of getting Wesley's commitment. Guess not though. Best of luck to Wes Jr.

Did he really commit to Troy? I truly thought we had the best shot of getting Wesley's commitment. Guess not though. Best of luck to Wes Jr.

Wes jr. may want to make his own way in this world and not try to always be compared to his dad or uncle. That, I would guess, is part of why he went with troy.

Wes jr. may want to make his own way in this world and not try to always be compared to his dad or uncle. That, I would guess, is part of why he went with troy.

I would believe that with his skill set, Troy is the best he could do. Good luck to him.

hopes were put to rest with these transfer rumors coming from backcourt positions. You have to assume that whatever schollys are left will go to frontcourt guys. I really hoped I wouldn't have to keep up with two teams for the next 4 years, but I guess I'll have to make room in my news feed.

Can't wait to see the two teams play, and for Person to drop at least 40. Best of Luck to the young man.

Archived