Wesley Person Jr...

AUpocalypse

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link. Nice to see him beat the Alabama signee in the shootout. I like the fact that his best shots were on the money ball, so clutch at the end. The kid comes across great in his interview afterwords. We really need to find a way to get him to AU.

Thanks for the link. Nice to see him beat the Alabama signee in the shootout. I like the fact that his best shots were on the money ball, so clutch at the end. The kid comes across great in his interview afterwords. We really need to find a way to get him to AU.

Watched the video and neither one of them hit much of a percentage...yes, they were in a hurry but neither was trying to break off of a screen with some 6-6 guy in his face either.

I am very curious why an apparent basketball prodigy like WP did not finish his HS days at a big basketball oriented HS. He could have helped his game and also helped his resume' playing against better competition. People can talk legacy and 55 points against some other 1A school...but unless he does something in some tough AAU competition, offers from the likes of Troy and Mercer is about what he will see. ...IMO

Watched the video and neither one of them hit much of a percentage...yes, they were in a hurry but neither was trying to break off of a screen with some 6-6 guy in his face either.

I am very curious why an apparent basketball prodigy like WP did not finish his HS days at a big basketball oriented HS. He could have helped his game and also helped his resume' playing against better competition. People can talk legacy and 55 points against some other 1A school...but unless he does something in some tough AAU competition, offers from the likes of Troy and Mercer is about what he will see. ...IMO

Very well put!

Very well put!

That 3 pt competition is a really poor gauge for determining a kid's ability. Kind of ridiculous that you would even bring that up that way. Just an interesting and nice accomplishment.

There are no ball boys running around to keep the balls from rolling at and under the competitors, the music was downright obnoxious, and regardless... he won. The circumstances don't even compare. There are a lot of players who shoot better with guys in their face. Those arguments could go either way.

Wesley Sr was let go from his JUCO job and the family moved back to Brantley. I think fans are quick to forget or often completely oblivious to the fact that what these kids do or can do rests with family. Chuck, Wes Sr., and Adrian made it out of Brantley alive.

Jr is up to offers from UAB, Western Carolina, Mercer, Troy, and interest from West Virginia, Louisiana Monroe, VCU, Davidson.....

Mercer is 23-8 and #1 in the Atlantic Sun

UAB is 18-11

Davidson is 19-11 and #1 in the Southern at 15-1

LaMonroe & Troy need help in the Sunbelt

Western Carolina is 17-14 and 10-6 in the Southern

VCU is 22-7 and 10-4 in the Atlantic 10

West Virginia is 16-13, 8-8 in the Big12, powerhouse in the NCAA usually

Troy, Mercer, and probably some others here have all beaten Auburn the last time they've played each other.

Just about everyone has more all-time NCAA appearances than AU, and most have been dancing in current history.

I'm not pumping this kid up because of his name, it is because I think he can be that good and that beneficial to Auburn's program. The name just helped me identify and start following the kid a few years back. If his last name were different, I just wouldn't take the time to write about him like I've passed on so many others. He's a pure shooter and has his head on straight. Auburn is in his blood. I have seen under the radar guys leave the state in flocks because they didn't meet some kind of criteria and they just show otherwise elsewhere. I'm tired of watching it while everyone just complains because the program is in the dumps. No one has a logical solution. They just seem to pick up whatever the message boards are spewing and run with it. Here is a solution.

And here is your 'what he can do' in AAU competition... http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/high-school-wire/2013/07/2013-reebok-classic-breakout-recap/

They said he had the best performance in his session. They were impressed enough to take the time to write him up and include him on the camp website.

AUpoc...he's a good HS player ...not denying that...but everyone in the country has had a shot at him...so where is the interest from Bama, AU, Tenn, UGa, UK or any other SEC school or ACC school and at my last look he was not on the top 12 for the state of Alabama.

Not saying you are wrong....but if you are right, apparently every major college coach in the US is blind to his potential.

Gotta remember... Wes Jr's Uncle Chuck was not highly recruited either because he was from little ol' Brantley. Chuck obviously helped have eyes on Wesley Sr and as you all know... the rest is history.

I don't see how us getting Wesley Jr could possibly make the basketball situation here at AU any worse. Kid is a pure shooter like his dad. Just my 0.02.

What is funny schools that have been doing better in basketball than SEC schools are recruiting him so your arguments against him are the other SEC schools aren't recruiting him. Nobody who likes this kid thinks he is currently a 5* player so that is why the Florida's and Kentucky's are not recruiting him. One person said since he is at a small school he should light it up at the AAU camps. One of the ones who liked him showed that he did light it up at an AAU camp. The schools like UAB, Davidson that historically find a way to do well in the NCAA's do it by finding players just like Person keeping them together and build a team around their talents. A pure shooter is a pure shooter at all levels of basketball. He has shown he can get his shot off at the AAU camp against some of the best players in the country.

Wow the SC coach and the BAMA coach and the Ole Miss coach aren't recruiting him all of them have shown what Icons of coaching talent they are. We can't out Talent Kentucky but we can out team them if done the right way the right way is with Kids that work hard, fit a system and stay around long enough to learn a system. This kid fits that bill of goods even if his name was John Smith

Hopefully our new BB coach will give him a serious look. We need some scorers for next year.

AUpoc...he's a good HS player ...not denying that...but everyone in the country has had a shot at him...so where is the interest from Bama, AU, Tenn, UGa, UK or any other SEC school or ACC school and at my last look he was not on the top 12 for the state of Alabama.

Not saying you are wrong....but if you are right, apparently every major college coach in the US is blind to his potential.

If Auburn waits for any of those schools to offer him then that is a battle we can't win (except that maybe he would want to come to Auburn because he is a legacy). For the standard recruits that are not legacy, we cannot compete with the big schools. We must recruit under the radar type talent or projects.

If you remember, Frankie Sullivan was not a highly regarded player even though his HS stats were. He fell off at the end of his AU career but was a major player for us.

Got a question for those who follow basketball a bit closer than I do. How many of our say top 10 current players were recruited by more than say 3 SEC schools?

Got a question for those who follow basketball a bit closer than I do. How many of our say top 10 current players were recruited by more than say 3 SEC schools?

I'd say none, if you don't count guys that transferred in after something happened at their first school. We don't have to have four and five* recruits to put a winning team on the floor. We do have to recruit reasonably good, 3* types that will stick with Auburn for four to five years.

Yeah, we aren't exactly fighting against UF and Kentucky for the guys on our team. I doubt there's anyone of this squad who chose us over other SEC rivals. This is a great point you've brought up and I certainly think it's relevant to Wes Person Jr.

Out of the last 3 classes...

SamLongwood was offered by MissSt... coming in next year

And these guys are no longer on the team..

Chris Griffin also MissSt back in 2013

Jordon Granger Arkansas 2012

B.GreeeneJr OleMiss '12

Jordan Price OleMiss '12

Those are the only kids with other SEC offers in the past three classes, and none by a third SEC school

B.GreeeneJr OleMiss '12

Jordan Price OleMiss '12

Those are the only kids with other SEC offers in the past three classes, and none by a third SEC school

Granger is still on the team, the only freshman from last year's class that returned for his soph year. He played quite a bit vs. Bammer Saturday.

If you remember, Frankie Sullivan was not a highly regarded player even though his HS stats were. He fell off at the end of his AU career but was a major player for us.

Frank was a 3* player and had a national ranking by Rivals and was considered a major catch for AU. He had the misfortune to come to a poor program where too much was expected of him. He was not really a point guard but got forced into that position after many of his team mates bailed out year after year...had to handle the ball and also do the scoring. I'm very glad he came to AU but IMO he would have been much better in a more stable program.

B.GreeeneJr OleMiss '12

Jordan Price OleMiss '12

Granger is still on the team, the only freshman from last year's class that returned for his soph year. He played quite a bit vs. Bammer Saturday.

You're right, I did not realize he had come back from his 'leave of absence'. I think I've gotten used to that phrase meaning 'bye-bye' lol

No AU signees on the State all-star team. Shocker.

Tells you a little about the quality of boys basketball in the state when none of the top players are courted or signed by major basketball schools.

No AU signees on the State all-star team. Shocker.

Tells you a little about the quality of boys basketball in the state when none of the top players are courted or signed by major basketball schools.

We rarely get the quality players from any state for that matter. :)

I see players signed by Miss State, bammer, UAB, Virginia Tech and Purdue on that list. You can't tell me there aren't a few that could have helped Auburn. Another reason Barbee has got to go.

Archived