Byrnes HS (S.C.) HC Bobby Bentley to join Auburn FB Staff

metafour

Interesting, anyone know why he rejected the QB coach position last year to remain a HS coach?

I believe one of his other sons was a senior this last year. Wanted to let him finish high school before moving

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, anyone know why he rejected the QB coach position last year to remain a HS coach?

I believe one of his other sons was a senior this last year. Wanted to let him finish high school before moving

This article from 2012 also states that an offer to be an on-the-field coach was not made. Reading between the lines, perhaps he wasn't willing to come as just an analyst with his son being a senior.

I live in Greer, SC and have for nearly 6 yrs. I coached my sons youth team against Jake Bentley 3 yrs ago. He rolled out of the pocket and threw a ball through the back if the end zone from the 50 right before halftime. He was 12. He killed us. I believe he I better than his older brother who is a senior at Byrnes. Their step brother is Chaz Dodd who is a sr QB at Rutgers. He was the QB on the Byrnes team when Lattimore was a Sr. Bobby has raised 3 legitimate QBs in his own home. I asked him about Jake when we list to him the 2nd time. He said he picked it up from his older brothers. He will be the best of the 3 of them.

I live in Greer, SC and have for nearly 6 yrs. I coached my sons youth team against Jake Bentley 3 yrs ago. He rolled out of the pocket and threw a ball through the back if the end zone from the 50 right before halftime. He was 12. He killed us. I believe he I better than his older brother who is a senior at Byrnes. Their step brother is Chaz Dodd who is a sr QB at Rutgers. He was the QB on the Byrnes team when Lattimore was a Sr. Bobby has raised 3 legitimate QBs in his own home. I asked him about Jake when we list to him the 2nd time. He said he picked it up from his older brothers. He will be the best of the 3 of them.

War Eagle from Tryon OB.

One thing for sure, the upstate high schools will be glad to see the Bentleys gone...the coach and his up and coming son too if the family goes with him. I'm assuming this is not just a one year post to prep Coach Bentley for entry into Div 1 coaching again and he plans to stay with AU for a few years. He is the real deal.

War Eagle from Tryon OB.

One thing for sure, the upstate high schools will be glad to see the Bentleys gone...the coach and his up and coming son too if the family goes with him. I'm assuming this is not just a one year post to prep Coach Bentley for entry into Div 1 coaching again and he plans to stay with AU for a few years. He is the real deal.

. WOW. War Eagle from Saluda,nc. Lived there for several years in the early 2000's. War Eagle coach Bentley. Happy to have him aboard.

Looks like we hired him to get his kid :dunno:

Well, maybe to a bammer.

bustid...lol

Ray Charles could see that one. Just playing Blue. I have agreed with you alot lately. Maybe peace in the Middle East next?

Looks like we hired him to get his kid :dunno:/>

Well, maybe to a bammer.

Lol. So funny. Coach Bentley was the first coach in NC HS history to win 4 straight state championships. I think he can coach. So yea, we wanted him just for his kid.

Well, maybe to a bammer.

Lol. So funny. Coach Bentley was the first coach in NC SC HS history to win 4 straight state championships. I think he can coach. So yea, we wanted him just for his kid.

FIFY

Just ask the other HS coaches around upstate South Carolina....the guy can recruit too. :)

Well, maybe to a bammer.

Lol. So funny. Coach Bentley was the first coach in NC SC HS history to win 4 straight state championships. I think he can coach. So yea, we wanted him just for his kid.

FIFY

Just ask the other HS coaches around upstate South Carolina....the guy can recruit too. :)

So couple of questions here - the position states he's a QB analyst - is he actually out there at practice, working with QBs, or is this strictly a film room guru kind of a position? I know HE is a good coach - heard plenty from outta the upstate - Wando people down here have talked about the hire some, so gotta be pretty solid. And part B of my question would be - if he's out there, is this also a sideline job on Saturdays, or is this a preparation and then booth kind of a situation? TIA for the help, I just can't keep up with the multitude of staff positions we're bringing in.

Finally, with us having lost our HS Relations guy, could Bentley double up as that somewhat due to his obviously VERY recent transition to the college ranks, or is the assumption that each position (QB Analyst and HS Relations) are both full-time spots and can't really be meshed?

It sounds like at the moment this is a strictly off the field type of role for Bentley. So I know your typical on the field coaches can not be involved with workouts and things of that nature during the summer, but can the off the field coaches be involved during the summer? If so then perhaps this is a way to get a coach to have some more hands on time with the QBs

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2014/02/bobby_bentleys_auburn_opportun.html

Bentley and Malzahn first met at a 7-on-7 tournament in Hoover. Bentley's Byrnes team and Malzahn's Springdale teams were staying in the same hotel, and the two offensive innovators hit it off right away.

Then, after Malzahn became the offensive coordinator at Tulsa, Bentley spent some more time with him, and the two talked about eventually working together.

But even after returning to the high school ranks, Bentley always wanted to pursue his dream of becoming an offensive coordinator.

Malzahn understands that dream better than most.

"I think it's very important, the fact that I've been a high school coach and I got this opportunity, to try to give other people more opportunities," Malzahn said.

Working with Malzahn puts the 45-year-old on that path, and even though some observers immediately noted that Bentley's son, Jake, a 2017 prospect, already has an offer from Auburn, it's worth noting that the offer came last summer, after Malzahn had already tried to hire Bentley once and before his son played a down of high school football.

"It truly has no factor," Bentley said. "It's great that Coach Malzahn and Coach Lashlee saw my son in 7-on-7 this summer, and that offer was out there, but it's my position with Auburn have nothing to do with that situation, other than it's a conversational piece."

If his son goes to Auburn High he won't sign with AU anyways. ;)/>

I could be incorrect but I believe he may enroll at OHS

This is correct. Per my source (well connected source) he will go to school at Opelika High. Mods, PM me if you need more info on my source.

If his son goes to Auburn High he won't sign with AU anyways. ;)/>

I could be incorrect but I believe he may enroll at OHS

This is correct. Per my source (well connected source) he will go to school at Opelika High. Mods, PM me if you need more info on my source.

I'm curious how you could know that already. Has he bought a house yet? How do you know which school district he will live in?

If this is true, is it some kind of retribution against the AHS coach for his role in the Rashaan Evans saga?

Archived