AU Presby ...game

AU off to a bad start...checked gametracker (best option I had) and Pres up 5-1 in 3rd.

With present hitting woes, that's a lot of runs to make up but there is plenty of time at least.

10-1..... not Auburn.

OUCH!!!!!

AU fights back.....10-6 with AU still at bat. But, AU gave up 17 hits to the Blue Hose.....that's the ouch IMO.

OOPS...over now. 10-6

Ortman took a beating tonight...11 hits in 4 innings but only 4 ER.

Depressing but I'll be there again tomorrow. Hope we can carry some momentum over.

The crowd started out pretty good for a Friday night, especially in the student section. By the time the 4th had rolled around and it was 7-1, it was down to a handful (unfortunately, this is only barely an exaggeration). Couldn't even keep it respectable til Bar-thirty.

The remainder of the crowd was very restless, and several loud bunting comments were voiced, the one that seemingly broke the crowds patience was a 7-1 bunt attempt with a runner on second. We can debate strategy/personnel all day long and have fun doing so, and we can all talk about how ludicrous it is to criticize a coach only nine games into his tenure (which it is), but the fact of the matter is, IMO CSG is in danger of losing the non-fanatic AU baseball crowd only nine games into his tenure. People around our seating area were having exasperated conversations back and forth about it tonight. I don't have a stance on this, because like I said its too early, but it seems he is becoming very polarizing very quickly.

So far has 2012 football feel. Sorta a mess all the way around. Poor pitching (location issues) poor batting fundamentals (moving runners, scoring from 3rd with less than 2 out), poor middle relief to hold a team at bay to make a come back, and running into outs.

It sounds like the new coach has some real problems with this team. I wonder if it's a morale issue considering all that's gone on in the last week or so.

It sounds like the new coach has some real problems with this team. I wonder if it's a morale issue considering all that's gone on in the last week or so.

JMO but there can't help but be some blow back from last week....maybe not about the guys being cut, but caused by the public comments from the coach about it. The departed players were friends and long time team mates and if it were me, I would have some resentment about how they were characterized. BUT, these guys are collegiate ballplayers and should have enough pride to want to win for themselves. This should not be about the coach.

On the other hand....it's baseball and I recall watching some pretty good major league teams give up 10 to 15 runs in a game and then come back and win the next day.

It's a long season...and the dream of the 17-0 start is gone...so what happens now? JMO but today's game is VERY important....more than just another game on a 50+ game season.

I have to respectfully disagree....the coach is such an integral part of team chemistry. If things are not good in the locker room....then it takes the will to win out of the players. These are college kids and they still need guidance. The atmosphere around them has a big effect.

I see two larger problems:

1) I had seriously hoped that the "bunt a guy to third" concept had departed with Pawloski except for maybe a few special situations in the ninth inning. Hopefully, that's a desperation coaching move due to the lack of hitters and won't be something we see much in the future.

2) There's the old story about not being able to make a silk purse out of a sows' ear. This coach inherited a team that's severely lacking in talent and it will take until at least next season to do much about that.

bad team chemistry and bad team morale cant be blamed anymore(the coach burned this excuse and cant keep saying that) ......coach and blake said earlier in week that things feel different since the departures and the dugout having fun again. IMO the kids are playing in fear of this coach, they are not having fun, and do not buy in to the small ball tactics.

mickey, this team does have talent. they were one out away from a regional appearance last year. the crushing loss to Florida last year in the 9th inning was the difference IMO of being left out of a regional. it is a long season. hopefully the new coaching staff will figure it out and get this team motivated. a good leader figures out how to motivate a team and it cant always be by intimidation.

Long way to go but things aren't looking so Sunny.

I was there briefly last night but it wasnt worth freezing my butt off to watch.

mickey, this team does have talent. they were one out away from a regional appearance last year. the crushing loss to Florida last year in the 9th inning was the difference IMO of being left out of a regional. it is a long season. hopefully the new coaching staff will figure it out and get this team motivated. a good leader figures out how to motivate a team and it cant always be by intimidation.

+1

Sunny was glowing in pre-season about the talent he had....and while it might not be up to LSU or USCe yet....the AU kids are better than anything Presby or Alabama State can put on the field.

Keegan Thompson is the real thing....one hitter through 8 innings today...earlier in the year had a no hitter for 5 and left with only a couple hits against him.

It was a nice day at the ballpark! Just need to do a better job with RISP. Let's win this series tomorrow!

Things to take away today:

1.) Most Importantly, Keegan Thompson is the real deal. A 1-hitter, complete game shutout of Presbyterian. This guy really has the it-factor and is just poised out there.

2.) Clutch hitting continues to be a problem but there were some sparks of it today. We must be a better 2 out hitting team.

3.) Connor Short is a viable option in the field- he was 2 for 2 yet again and had a sac bunt to move the runner up late in the game. Without the sacrifice, he is 4 for 4 batting 1.000. Seems to have a lot of pop on his bat. He did make an error in the field, but had some good plays as well.

4.) Execution must get better with this team. Glevenyak strikes out by fouling off a pitch with two strikes when squaring to bunt, and many other bunts were not laid down successfully. We also had a few times today where we had runners on first and second or based loaded with 0 outs or 1 out and could not scratch a run across.

Overall, this team still has a ways to go offensively, but a good win nonetheless; lets win the series tomorrow

1.) Most Importantly, Keegan Thompson is the real deal. A 1-hitter, complete game shutout of Presbyterian. This guy really has the it-factor and is just poised out there.

2.) Clutch hitting continues to be a problem but there were some sparks of it today. We must be a better 2 out hitting team.

3.) Connor Short is a viable option in the field- he was 2 for 2 yet again and had a sac bunt to move the runner up late in the game. Without the sacrifice, he is 4 for 4 batting 1.000. Seems to have a lot of pop on his bat. He did make an error in the field, but had some good plays as well.

4.) Execution must get better with this team. Glevenyak strikes out by fouling off a pitch with two strikes when squaring to bunt, and many other bunts were not laid down successfully. We also had a few times today where we had runners on first and second or based loaded with 0 outs or 1 out and could not scratch a run across.

Overall, this team still has a ways to go offensively, but a good win nonetheless; lets win the series tomorrow

Good points.

KT has It as you say...got the size....looks like a real ballplayer....a one year player?

Just thinking however that by the time we have a guy in scoring position we have usually laid down a sac bunt or two...given up an out or two to get the guy there...so the chance/odds of getting more than one run at a time seems to go down. I would really like to see some back to back hits....you know, two guys on base with nobody out...but that's been rare.

Hoping for another win tomorrow.

Good points.

KT has It as you say...got the size....looks like a real ballplayer....a one year player?

Just thinking however that by the time we have a guy in scoring position we have usually laid down a sac bunt or two...given up an out or two to get the guy there...so the chance/odds of getting more than one run at a time seems to go down. I would really like to see some back to back hits....you know, two guys on base with nobody out...but that's been rare.

Hoping for another win tomorrow.

I believe baseball does not have a one and done. I think... not sure the player has to play 2 years before he can re-entry the draft. Like I said not sure

Archived