Baseball vs. Missouri - game 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing to think how good we could be if we could run the bases and stop making errors... The jury is still out on Mr. Golloway in my opinion.

Totally agree. I understand the thought, but the throw out at 2nd to end game 3 vs Tennessee was killer. You need runners in position, but the batter was ahead in the count and you can't end the game being thrown out stealing.

It's amazing to think how good we could be if we could run the bases and stop making errors... The jury is still out on Mr. Golloway in my opinion.

It's his first season and you can tell he doesn't have the type of players he needs to play his brand of ball. The question is, will he run any more off and will he be able to bring in what he needs to be successful.

He's certainly unconventional, I can say that much.

It's his first season and you can tell he doesn't have the type of players he needs to play his brand of ball. The question is, will he run any more off and will he be able to bring in what he needs to be successful.

He's certainly unconventional, I can say that much.

He has been successful with these guys so far; all we can hope for this week is to win the series and we'll be back on track

Jared is right. And Golloway has said that there is another lull coming with this team.

As a whole, they just don't have the head for the game, as is witnessed by three errors on ONE player (I think that's what Twitter said) this evening, and they definitely don't have the talent at the plate that Golloway needs. And Golloway can't run the bases for them. The kids have to commit and keeps their heads about them as they play. The upperclassmen on this team have problems with that and leading.

Biggest thing is that these kids have got to understand that you have to advance the runners. Golloway can't take their at bats for them, and after the first three hitters, there is a HUGE hole when it comes to plate talent.

It's going to come around. And this Coach will be the best coach we have had in baseball at Auburn. Just wait and watch.

Wonder if the cold had anything to do with their play...they seemed slow last night...not in the typical way but in the way that molasses runs when it is cold vice when it is warm....I know bad metaphor but it seemed sometimes their concentration and actions seemed slow...

IIRC we have lost series to Mizzou each of the last two years. For some odd reason, we scheduled them the year before they entered the SEC. I hope we can come back and get 'em today and tomorrow. (It's looking like there may be a double-header Saturday, mighty wet in East Alabama right now.)

Jared is right. And Golloway has said that there is another lull coming with this team.

As a whole, they just don't have the head for the game, as is witnessed by three errors on ONE player (I think that's what Twitter said) this evening, and they definitely don't have the talent at the plate that Golloway needs. And Golloway can't run the bases for them. The kids have to commit and keeps their heads about them as they play. The upperclassmen on this team have problems with that and leading.

Biggest thing is that these kids have got to understand that you have to advance the runners. Golloway can't take their at bats for them, and after the first three hitters, there is a HUGE hole when it comes to plate talent.

It's going to come around. And this Coach will be the best coach we have had in baseball at Auburn. Just wait and watch.

+

JMO from watching the games but I bet that about 90%+ of baserunners that have been thrown out were going on CSG's instructions....he gives the players very little latitude for independent thinking.

I understand he might not have the type of players he want to plays his "style" of ball...but that's like our experiences in football a couple years ago trying the pro-set without the right players. He has to play with the guys he has...until he has others...and seems anyway that a good percentage of the regular players are freshmen...and I assume those are his guys.

The errors are on the players but the 25+ guys thrown out on the basepaths are on the coach IMO.

The errors are on the players but the 25+ guys thrown out on the basepaths are on the coach IMO.

Yep. There are ways to get that under control, in practice if nowhere else. Sometimes it looks like Galloway, or his players, are counting on the opponent making bad plays. The percentages of that happening stops being favorable at the 13-15 year old level of baseball. At the college level, you'd better assume the other guy is going to make the play and if you're not fast or alert enough you'll kill an inning.

I understand putting pressure on the D, but giving away outs ... Well I don't want us to give away outs.

Wonder if this was another reminder, like the third game of the last 2 weekends and a mid week game the week prior that reminds that these guys are just not mentally there. Mentally they are still a work in progress and this will just happen periodically this year???. I hope not because it is deflating ... Just when you want to believe something special is in the air they lose focus.

In baseball and all of the games in a long season, the teams with talent, drive and focus will win the games like last night. I know we are gonna put some stinkers on the field now and again, but was hoping we'd do better against what I was given the impression was an inferior team.

Archived