Spring Practice - Day 6 (Scrimmage 1)

ALTiger

Yeah, but you don't go in not expecting to win. If you do that, you have lost before you even start playing...

Speaking as someone who used to make their living in sales, that's spot on, and the same principle applies. If you approach your customer expecting to lose the sale, you almost surely will lose the sale regardless of how well you know your product and how it fits their needs. You have to go in expecting to win, and believing that you will. I think that principle applies far and wide.

Honestly, I think this back and forth is much ado about nothing. Speaking as someone who has also made a living in sales, there is a difference in approaching the customer expecting to lose the sale and approaching the customer intent on helping them make the best selection, all things considered. There were times when I would make a suggestion that my store manager would not have approved of, because it made that particular sale go down, but because I was open about the products and honest in trying to help them make the best selection for them whether it was the most profitable for the store, I gained quite a few customers who would bring their business back to the store and request that I be the one to help. Those were the customers who, at the end of the day, spent quite a bit more money at the store simply because I didn't come across like a used car salesman.

The football translation of that is that there is a difference in "expecting to lose" and giving it all you've got, no matter what. Maintaining the attitude of expecting to win can often backfire simply by becoming too confident over time. There should never be an attitude of expecting to lose, no matter what, but playing with the attitude that anything can happen so we have to make our own breaks is a winning strategy that doesn't get into the realm of "expecting to win". Never underestimate your opponent, no matter what. Anyone remember what happened to Michigan against Appalachian State?

Weegs, I get what you're saying, and I know that you aren't meaning it like some are taking it. But at the same time, just because they don't agree with your philosophy, or at least the way you word it, that doesn't mean they "expect to lose". It's more like two different perspectives of the same message.

Oh.My.God...Somebody gets it.

Every time I see someone post "If you don't expect to win, then you expect to lose" I read it in Ricky Bobby's voice. "If you ain't first, yer last!"

Same logic being applied around here.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm, am I talking to myself?

Say it ain't so...

You must have posted not expecting anyone to listen.

:poke:

I love Spring practice, and I actually love the fact that we're taking days off in between practices. Very smart, in that it allows players to recover physically and digest what they've been doing mentally. Also gives coaches time to watch film and make adjustments.

This Truitt kid is a hoss. He will make an impact this season. Amazing how these kids are coming in ready to take spots. Good days ahead! WDE!

Say it ain't so...

I'm listening to you, if that provides a certain level of comfort and contentment. However, since I was never involved in the 'expectations=results' discussion my attentiveness may be to no avail.

Say it ain't so...

I love Spring practice, and I actually love the fact that we're taking days off in between practices. Very smart, in that it allows players to recover physically and digest what they've been doing mentally. Also gives coaches time to watch film and make adjustments.

Agreed. It's amazing how football has changed over the years to reflect basic physiological realities.

I would be so broken down physically after three or four days straight days of contact in Spring training - or two-a-days - there was no way I could do something at full speed. This was in '67-'69. I used to pee blood after practice and would be so dehydrated that I couldn't sleep at night because of the cramping.

In hindsight, it was stupid.

Say it ain't so...

Agreed. It's amazing how football has changed over the years to reflect basic physiological realities.

I would be so broken down physically after three or four days straight days of contact in Spring training - or two-a-days, there was no way I could do something at full speed. This was in '67-'69. I used to pee blood after practice and would be so dehydrated that I couldn't sleep at night because of the cramping.

In hindsight, it was stupid.

Indeed!

I love that we're organizing things around physical practices with time in between. Just reaffirms the fact that CGM is very smart.

Listen, we go through this same crap every offseason. People here seem to feel it is their sworn duty to inform everybody else that they need to stop thinking that national titles are something that Auburn fans should expect, because, God forbid we look like bama fans in any way.

Weegs, I was thinking the same thing. I'd be willing to bet we could go back to a thread from this time last year and find the same posts/different date. Can't wait for the season to begin so that we can get to some real football discussions.

Archived