Spring Practice - Day 6 (Scrimmage 1)

ALTiger

I was referring to your comment to Passthebiscuits post earlier today. Then saw where you had apologized. So I deleted the above.

No worries brother. WDE!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Listen, we go through this same crap every offseason. People here seem to feel it is their sworn duty to inform everybody else that they need to stop thinking that national titles are something that Auburn fans should expect, because, God forbid we look like bama fans in any way.

Seems like you've got a real big chip on your shoulder regarding expectations, so I'm just going to steer clear of this one...

Expect to win every week. Why else play the game?

This just borders on cocky and unrealistic. No matter how good your team is, if you truly expect to win every time you step on the field/court you're setting yourself up for disappointment/failure.

I expect the coaches to prepare the players to the absolute best of their abilities. I expect the players to give everything they have every time they step onto the field (whether practice or game). Beyond that, you have to let the chips fall where they may.

Cocky and unrealistic? Good grief. :laugh:/>

What's funny? How many teams win every week? Very, very few...regardless of the sport.

There's a big difference between confidence and cockiness. Confidence comes from your level of preparedness. Expecting to win every time you take the field is cockiness.

Guess our entire team is cocky then. That's cool with me!

Psssst...we ALL know we are good, GREAT even. Let's don't tell anyone, because we always do better when no one takes us seriously! haha Whatever happens this season, I know with this coaching staff and this group of kids, we will all be proud. They will all give their full effort. I can't wait for the season to start!!!

Ok just to temper expectations, we could have easily lost MissSt, A and M, Uga, Alabama, and the whole year would be looked at much differently. I am also excited about what I'm hearing out of practices. I am scheduled to go next scrimmage, so I am super excited about how our guys look compared to last year. I just think we need to be realistic about our tough schedule. We could have a vastly improved team but our record not be indicative of that comparatively...we just never know.

This X 1000.

wde

I want and expect AUBURN to win every game BUT I agree with AUIHI last year could had 4 losses. I think GUS will keep us ready to play every game and give us a chance to win. In the past I could not say this last statement.

But we didn't lose those four games. We......won........them. Why borrow sorrow from the made up past, when you can be excited about the potential of the future?

But we didn't lose those four games. We......won........them. Why borrow sorrow from the made up past, when you can be excited about the potential of the future?

I'm with you on this one Weegs. Seems to me that a team that doesnt expect to win is a team that is beaten before the game even starts. Last year after the LSU game, I said that team has the ability to beat every team on the rest of the schedule. You could see it in the last 2 1/2 quarters when they never gave up and fought to the end.

Yes, I expected them to win every game the rest of the way in the regular season and it turned out just that way. Gus will have an explosive offense so I'm not even concerned with that. This year on A Day, I will be watching the defense very close to see if we have improved. It doesnt even have to be that much to make a big difference.

OG Alex Kozan called RB Corey Grant "pound for pound" the strongest player on the team.

@JHokanson

I re-watched the Auburn vs TAMU game again last week; and had forgotten about the play where the DB came up to take on Grant; and Grant drilled him into the ground. Everyone remembers Sammy's stiff arm in that game; but I had forgotten this one.

I'm more optimistic about not only this year because I feel like we could possibly be a more complete team which gives us an opportunity to win the west and get into the SEC championship game, but also the direction and depth of talent we are building. Gus is a man on a mission and it seems different than any other time for the program . Sure it's a tough road and if we lose a few games this year, I would not be altogether shocked because any of the contenders in the SEC have the potential to play spoiler to one another. Other than Alabama and they are breaking in a new quarterback, we have the most pieces in place to be in a position to win the west so I am very excited about this year.

I'm with you on this one Weegs. Seems to me that a team that doesnt expect to win is a team that is beaten before the game even starts. Last year after the LSU game, I said that team has the ability to beat every team on the rest of the schedule. You could see it in the last 2 1/2 quarters when they never gave up and fought to the end.

Yes, I expected them to win every game the rest of the way in the regular season and it turned out just that way. Gus will have an explosive offense so I'm not even concerned with that. This year on A Day, I will be watching the defense very close to see if we have improved. It doesnt even have to be that much to make a big difference.

The volleyball team I coach doesn't expect to win every game they play and we're currently 23-1 and the top ranked team in Alabama in our age group. We're the #6 ranked team in the southern region. We've won every single tournament we've played in this year. I don't think we've been beaten before any game has started.

Knowing your team can win anytime they step on the court/field is very different from expecting them to win every time.

"Fear cuts deeper than swords. The man that fears losing has already lost."

-Syrio Forel

Sorry... Just wanted to throw in a Game of Thrones quote. :)/>

You know nothing, AUFightingSoldiers.

:poke:

I'm very optimistic about this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we go undefeated. I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped a couple or three either. A Tubervillian/Chizikian type failure would be more shocking than ever before, lol.

+1

The volleyball team I coach doesn't expect to win every game they play and we're currently 23-1 and the top ranked team in Alabama in our age group. We're the #6 ranked team in the southern region. We've won every single tournament we've played in this year. I don't think we've been beaten before any game has started.

Knowing your team can win anytime they step on the court/field is very different from expecting them to win every time.

Congrats on your team and plz keep it up!

Expect to win or expect to lose. That falls on self doubt and a lack of belief in your own ability. You should expect to win if you have prepared and worked as hard as you possible could.

Expect to win or expect to lose. That falls on self doubt and a lack of belief in your own ability. You should expect to win if you have prepared and worked as hard as you possible could.

You couldn't be more wrong. You can prepare as much as humanly possible and give every ounce of everything you have and still run into a buzzsaw with better talent,great coaching and more experience.

My girls ran into such a team from Atlanta this year who handed us our only loss. They were bigger,much more experienced,harder hitting, and had superb coaching. We gave them hell for 3 sets but lost a close one. We regrouped, adjusted and met the same juggernaut in the finals of the same tournament. I guarantee neither myself nor my girls expected to win but we knew we could win if everything came together...and it did. We won a nail biter for the championship and haven't looked back since.

Just because you don't expect to win doesn't mean that you expect to lose. I really don't see how this concept is so hard for some of y'all to grasp...

Congrats on your team and plz keep it up!

Thank you so much! We're hoping to be able to represent the south at nationals in Minneapolis...

I think we all may agree but may be disagreeing about the words. If you mean by 'expecting them to win' something like overconfidence (where they feel like they just have to show up to win), then I agree with you. But I'm optimistic this season (despite the tough schedule), like bikerider, Weegs, and IronMan.

I think we all may agree but may be disagreeing about the words. If you mean by 'expecting them to win' something like overconfidence (where they feel like they just have to show up to win), then I agree with you. But I'm optimistic this season (despite the tough schedule), like bikerider, Weegs, and IronMan.

Oh I'm extremely optimistic about the upcoming season. I think we've got a great shot at making the playoffs and, at that point, anything can happen.

I just don't get this "If you don't expect to win every game and the national championship then you have a loser mentality"...mentality.

Oh I'm extremely optimistic about the upcoming season. I think we've got a great shot at making the playoffs and ,from that point, anything can happen. I just don't understand this "If you don't always expect to win every single game then have a loser's mentality"...mentality.

Archived