Spring Practice - Day 6 (Scrimmage 1)

ALTiger

^right. My point exactly. I have every expectation that this team is gonna be good. Just want to slow the roll on what that looks like. May have a few losses this year but be much better team. Never know in the SEC.

Remember last year when every one said all these teams in the West were going to be better than the year previous? Well they couldn't all be better...some teams were gonna beat the others. Fortunately it was our team getting the Ws last year!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^right. My point exactly. I have every expectation that this team is gonna be good. Just want to slow the roll on what that looks like. May have a few losses this year but be much better team. Never know in the SEC.

Remember last year when every one said all these teams in the West were going to be better than the year previous? Well they couldn't all be better...some teams were gonna beat the others. Fortunately it was our team getting the Ws last year!

I agree. And to be frank, I don't expect to go undefeated. I just hope we do.

I agree it definitely takes some luck to win em all. But you have to be very good even to get to the point where luck can make a difference. And good teams always seem to have more luck. We'll be better than last year even if we don't win them all.

So while it may be unreasonable to expect an undefeated season, we have good reason to hope for one.

All I know is that in a historical context its not exactly wise for Auburn fans to let pre-season expectations get too high. Which Auburn team in the past actually lived up to them or, better yet, even came close to living up to pre-season CS expectations? I understand its a new day and all that but, history has a way of bringing my expectations back down to earth a little. Auburn has a great chance to be a special team in '14 but will have to achieve that on the field, obviously, not before the season even starts.

All I know is that in a historical context its not exactly wise for Auburn fans to let pre-season expectations get too high. Which Auburn team in the past actually lived up to them or, better yet, even came close to living up to pre-season CS expectations? I understand its a new day and all that but, history has a way of bringing my expectations back down to earth a little. Auburn has a great chance to be a special team in '14 but will have to achieve that on the field, obviously, not before the season even starts.

Past performance does not predict future results.

Past performance does not predict future results.

No it sure doesn't and I have no problem if you get all excited about Auburn going undefeated in '14 and winning another NC. I've been there done that and got the T-shirts. Im as hopeful as any of the most diehard here but I need to see the proof that it is indeed a new day. Too many times in the past has Auburn disappointed by not handling prosperity and crumbling under the pressure of high expectations.. We'll see.

Well, Blue does have a point. Maybe this boils down to who's more afraid of the big bad jinx!

But it's kind of hard not to be at least optimistic, so what can we do? :dunno::big:

I don't think we'll ever get as confident as the FSU fans were before the NC game. You wouldn't believe some of the spreads they were predicting.

They were "lucky" to win. ;)

Sorry, but call me Mr. Optimistic for 2014.

First, we have a perfectionist as a head coach.

Second, we have an amazing coaching staff that can coach players up.

Third, we have players who have experienced the worst of the worst and the highest of the highs.

Fourth, this team WANTS TO WIN. Yes, everyone wants to win, but there is a difference in this group of Tigers. They WILL to WIN.

Fifth, team unity and unselfishness. The best players are actually cheering on their competition. It is WEFence, not offence or defence.

Sixth, we have an experienced and successful QB.

Seventh, we have some depth this year. We did not have much depth last year, but even the second team got solid experience in SEC play last year. That is huge and will pay huge dividends.

Eighth, we were not very good at the start of last year. We were extremely good at the end of last year.

Ninth, we are returning the majority of the starters from last year. Can you say huge, HUGE!! In 2011, we lost 18 starting players. This year we are retaining 18 starting players.

Tenth, off the field training and conditioning. Look at the physiques of our players. They are working not only on the practice fields, but in the gyms. They are getting into playing condition all year long.

The only thing that can derail us this year would be injuries or lack of will/effort. I can see the first one as a possibility, but not the latter.

Lastly, sure we were lucky some last year but all championship calibre teams have to have an element of luck. But we will be a better team this year than last. Last year's team was a Work in Progress. This year's team are seasoned veterans. We are not in learning mode, we are in perfecting mode.

No one is going to look forward to playing this year's Auburn Tigers.

Ok just to temper expectations, we could have easily lost MissSt, A and M, Uga, Alabama, and the whole year would be looked at much differently. I am also excited about what I'm hearing out of practices. I am scheduled to go next scrimmage, so I am super excited about how our guys look compared to last year. I just think we need to be realistic about our tough schedule. We could have a vastly improved team but our record not be indicative of that comparatively...we just never know.

You have had some great posts, but when you used that tempering expectations BS, you just flushed those good ones. Sad.

^ Ha! Ok.

I'm one of the most optimistic fans in the world. I also don't believe in jinxing a good team. I think we will be the kind of team that should and will beat most of the others. I am simply pointing out that, as some of the other posters have said, that we can have a super great team that has a loss or two or three when compared to last year. That's all my friend. Let's win em all and make it a moot point.

^ Ha! Ok.

I'm one of the most optimistic fans in the world. I also don't believe in jinxing a good team. I think we will be the kind of team that should and will be most of the others. I am simply pointing out that, as some of the other posters have said, that we can have a super great team that has a loss or two or three when compared to last year. That's all my friend. Let's win em all and make it a moot point.

I'm sorry. I should have cooled down before hitting the post button. Didn't mean to come off like that. That wasn't cool.

Expect to win every week. Why else play the game?

This just borders on cocky and unrealistic. No matter how good your team is, if you truly expect to win every time you step on the field/court you're setting yourself up for disappointment/failure.

I expect the coaches to prepare the players to the absolute best of their abilities. I expect the players to give everything they have every time they step onto the field (whether practice or game). Beyond that, you have to let the chips fall where they may.

Third, we have players who have experienced the worst of the worst and the highest of the highs.

Fourth, this team WANTS TO WIN. Yes, everyone wants to win, but there is a difference in this group of Tigers. They WILL to WIN.

Fifth, team unity and unselfishness. The best players are actually cheering on their competition. It is WEFence, not offence or defence.

Seventh, we have some depth this year. We did not have much depth last year, but even the second team got solid experience in SEC play last year. That is huge and will pay huge dividends.

Eighth, we were not very good at the start of last year. We were extremely good at the end of last year.

Ninth, we are returning the majority of the starters from last year. Can you say huge, HUGE!! In 2011, we lost 18 starting players. This year we are retaining 18 starting players.

Tenth, off the field training and conditioning. Look at the physiques of our players. They are working not only on the practice fields, but in the gyms. They are getting into playing condition all year long.

The only thing that can derail us this year would be injuries or lack of will/effort. I can see the first one as a possibility, but not the latter.

Lastly, sure we were lucky some last year but all championship calibre teams have to have an element of luck. But we will be a better team this year than last. Last year's team was a Work in Progress. This year's team are seasoned veterans. We are not in learning mode, we are in perfecting mode.

This to a Tee!

This team is experienced, physical, hungry, motivated, talented and has one of the best coaching staffs in the nation. There isn't a game on the schedule this year we can't win and even against the "big" teams we have much more experience and talent returning. Honestly, K-state and the MIss schools are our biggest competitors this year; get past those and we win out. I just hope we see both Florida State and Choklahoma in the playoffs. THAT would shut the national media up for good.

This to a Tee!

This team is experienced, physical, hungry, motivated, talented and has one of the best coaching staffs in the nation. There isn't a game on the schedule this year we can't win and even against the "big" teams we have much more experience and talent returning. Honestly, K-state and the MIss schools are our biggest competitors this year; get past those and we win out. I just hope we see both Florida State and Choklahoma in the playoffs. THAT would shut the national media up for good.

Dude, you serious?

Very good post. I think we can count on the fact that Gus is going to have a championship caliber offense. Therefore, the key to the team's ultimate success this year will all depend on whether the defense has improved. Improve the defense by 15% and there won't be many close games. If we don't improve on defense, several games will be closer than they should. That is when luck becomes a bigger factor, both for and against us.

When Coach Johnson can eliminate most of the short yardage plays that turn into very long gains (junk plays), the defense will begin to catch up to our offense. Plays like the 20 yard pass that turned into a 99 yard pass in the IB (bad angles, missed tackles) and the 5 yard pass that turned into a 40 yard gain in the NCG (missed tackles) have to be eliminated especially against the better teams. The difference in '14 between a very good team and a great team of championship caliber is going to be found in our defense.

Very good post. I think we can count on the fact that Gus is going to have a championship caliber offense. Therefore, the key to the team's ultimate success this year will all depend on whether the defense has improved. Improve the defense by 15% and there won't be many close games. If we don't improve on defense, several games will be closer than they should. That is when luck becomes a bigger factor, both for and against us.

When Coach Johnson can eliminate most of the short yardage plays that turn into very long gains (junk plays), the defense will begin to catch up to our offense. Plays like the 20 yard pass that turned into a 99 yard pass in the IB (bad angles, missed tackles) and the 5 yard pass that turned into a 40 yard gain in the NCG (missed tackles) have to be eliminated especially against the better teams. The difference in '14 between a very good team and a great championship team is going to be found in our defense.

In related news, Corey Grant is the strongest pound for pound player on the team. :rimshot:

This just borders on cocky and unrealistic. No matter how good your team is, if you truly expect to win every time you step on the field/court you're setting yourself up for disappointment/failure.

I expect the coaches to prepare the players to the absolute best of their abilities. I expect the players to give everything they have every time they step onto the field (whether practice or game). Beyond that, you have to let the chips fall where they may.

Cocky and unrealistic? Good grief. :laugh:

Cocky and unrealistic? Good grief. :laugh:

What's funny? How many teams win every week? Very, very few...regardless of the sport.

There's a big difference between confidence and cockiness. Confidence comes from your level of preparedness. Expecting to win every time you take the field is cockiness.

Listen, we go through this same crap every offseason. People here seem to feel it is their sworn duty to inform everybody else that they need to stop thinking that national titles are something that Auburn fans should expect, because, God forbid we look like bama fans in any way.

Archived