Spring Practice - Day 6 (Scrimmage 1)

ALTiger

Gus Malzahn: "We had between 90-100 play scrimmage. … We ran the ball about 60 percent of the time, we threw it about 40 percent."
Malzahn on QB Nick Marshall: "He looks more comfortable every practice. His pocket presence improves every day."
Malzahn on the LT battle b/w Pat Miller and Shon Coleman: "We may not make a decision even after spring."
Malzahn: "I thought (with) the first group the pace was good."
Malzahn on backup QB Jeremy Johnson: "Jeremy is a lot like Nick, he has good command of the offense."
Malzahn on most impressive player: "Rudy (Ford) is a guy that had a really good hit as a new guy that was playing defense."
Malzahn: "I thought the first group was doing a really good job."
Malzahn on former WR Trovon Reed at CB: "I think they're really happy with him" on defense.
Gus Malzahn says DL Tyler Nero, who was taken to the hospital on Thursday, was out there at practice, but did not participate.

@AUBlog

Malzahn said it "was a very physical scrimmage, which was very encouraging." Said "a lot of good information" came out of the scrimmage.
On the running backs: "All three guys rotated and got equal reps."
Malzahn on the early enrollees: "Those guys have really responded well ... they've hit the ground running."
Malzahn said the team worked on punt returns and extra-point/field goals during the middle of the scrimmage.
Malzahn said there are "about four or five guys" who have been repping at H-back and he'll have a better idea after they grade the film.
Malzahn on more position changes: "We're not expecting any."

@wareagleextra

Turnovers today? "There may have been one," Malzahn says.

@bmarcello

Malzahn said the running backs protected the football, talked about Corey Grant "definitely" being in the mix.
DT/DE Gabe Wright on battling LT Shon Coleman: "He's one of the toughest run setters --it's like hitting a brick wall with a helmet on."

@JHokanson

Gus Malzahn on wide-receiver-turned-DB Trovon Reed: "He got a lot of reps today. That's good moving forward."
Auburn's Gus Malzahn on QB Jeremy Johnson: "He's got a really good command of the offense. Jeremy's had a great attitude."
Auburn's Gus Malzahn says QB Nick Marshall "looks more comfortable every practice… thought he threw the ball well" in Saturday's scrimmage
Gus Malzahn on RB Corey Grant: "He's very physical. He's one of our stronger guys in the weight room.

@AUGoldMine

9871706.jpeg
Nick Marshall looking good in Auburn's scrimmage Saturday (Lauren Barnard photo)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason I can't get the video to play. Would anyone be so kind as to summarize?

Not much info. Tyler Nero was at practice but, did not participate. Big hit by Rudy Ford.

OG Alex Kozan called RB Corey Grant "pound for pound" the strongest player on the team.

@JHokanson

I think someone said the same thing last year. Is that an old post?

For some reason I can't get the video to play. Would anyone be so kind as to summarize?

See OP. :)

OG Alex Kozan called RB Corey Grant "pound for pound" the strongest player on the team.

@JHokanson

I think someone said the same thing last year. Is that an old post?

Posted today ...

Wow.

As I listened to CGM press conference, all the positive remarks about depth, players understanding the system, talent, how much more the coaches know, etc., I couldn't help but think about where we were last year at this time.

And just think, we played for the NC even so.

Ok just to temper expectations, we could have easily lost MissSt, A and M, Uga, Alabama, and the whole year would be looked at much differently. I am also excited about what I'm hearing out of practices. I am scheduled to go next scrimmage, so I am super excited about how our guys look compared to last year. I just think we need to be realistic about our tough schedule. We could have a vastly improved team but our record not be indicative of that comparatively...we just never know.

Ok just to temper expectations, we could have easily lost MissSt, A and M, Uga, Alabama, and the whole year would be looked at much differently. I am also excited about what I'm hearing out of practices. I am scheduled to go next scrimmage, so I am super excited about how our guys look compared to last year. I just think we need to be realistic about our tough schedule. We could have a vastly improved team but our record not be indicative of that comparatively...we just never know.

If we are vastly improved we will be unbeaten.

No. We could be vastly improved, less lucky and end the regular season 9-3 or thereabouts.

We could have lost a couple of close games in 2013 and have been 9-3/8-4 and I would have been ecstatic going into a bowl game. I agree with Mikey, and as long as the coaches are developing players recruiting and game planning as they did last year I will be just as excited about the future of AU football. The 2004 season was not about 2004 but everything we did after CTT was hired. 2008 was about not doing the same things. If the coaches and players do the things that successful people do then we will get our share of the breaks and we get to go along for the ride. When we are not as fortunate we will still be better off than most.

Little doc

No. We could be vastly improved, less lucky and end the regular season 9-3 or thereabouts.

My thinking is we won all but 1 of our close games last year when by any measure, our defense was shaky. Even in the one game at LSU where it wasn't close, we came back and made them sweat a little. If, as was mentioned, we are vastly improved, even if just on defense, we win all our games going away other than maybe LSU, and that one would have been more of a nail biter. Also consider who we will play this year and how many teams are replacing veteran QBs.

Maybe our definitions of vastly improved aren't the same?

Exactly. I have learned my lesson from years past. The SEC is a beast. We may go undefeated, we may lose 3-4.

Archived