NCAA approves unlimited meals for athletes

RunInRed

Coach Tuberville raised hell about underfed football players several times while he was at Auburn. The NCAA's allowance had a 300 pound, active football player with the same calorie allowance as a normal sized non-athlete student. The guys had to cop some food elsewhere, if Mama sent it from home or however.

This ruling only corrects a long-standing wrong.

If I had to guess, what they'll do is have their Tiger Cards (meal cards all Auburn students have right now) have an unlimited balance on it so they can eat at the dining halls and student center as much as they want. That way the money can be controlled as far as what it goes toward. Also if I were in charge I would have a limit as far as what they could get per every 3 hours or so, so they aren't buying food for everyone in the dining hall.

On another note, can I get all my meals paid for right now too please?

With this new change, the Chef for the athletic meal program should become a key factor in the recruiting process.

I can see most schools upgrading their eating facilities and the coaches making a point of bringing the recruits around to meet the cooking staff and allowing them to sample some of the cookies and snacks that will be available 24/7 for the players to nibble on between meals or at night.

The new NCAA ruling opens the door to some very creative recruiting opportunities. So which school be the first to go public with its decision to hire a great new 5* chef for its team?

Soooo, do they get an unlimited food stipend? I mean they get unlimited meals.

I would guess how it would work is their student ID just has unlimited access to on-campus food stuff. Great idea. I'm jealous, haha.

With this new change, the Chef for the athletic meal program should become a key factor in the recruiting process.

I can see most schools upgrading their eating facilities and the coaches making a point of bringing the recruits around to meet the cooking staff and allowing them to sample some of the cookies and snacks that will be available 24/7 for the players to nibble on between meals or at night.

The new NCAA ruling opens the door to some very creative recruiting opportunities. So which school be the first to go public with its decision to hire a great new 5* chef for its team?

Interesting angle. I like it. I think Gus should go hard after Bobby Flay.

Interesting angle. I like it. I think Gus should go hard after Bobby Flay.

Good choice but I think my man Guy Fieri (sp) may make a better and bigger player. Chefwise they are both great (and Bobby may be better), but I admit I am addicted to the show Diners, Drive thru's and Dives.

Coach Tuberville raised hell about underfed football players several times while he was at Auburn. The NCAA's allowance had a 300 pound, active football player with the same calorie allowance as a normal sized non-athlete student. The guys had to cop some food elsewhere, if Mama sent it from home or however.

He may have been complaining but it was about the number of meals, not the calorie intake. I lived in Sewell Hall my freshman year 2001-2002 and if I remember correctly calorie intake was not a problem the 5 days a week they served meals. It was all you could eat and Thursday night was all you could eat steak. It was the weekends that were the problem where they couldn't provide meals.

On another note, can I get all my meals paid for right now too please?

You certainly can. All you have to do is earn a football scholarship and go through everything they have to go through.

He may have been complaining but it was about the number of meals, not the calorie intake. I lived in Sewell Hall my freshman year 2001-2002 and if I remember correctly calorie intake was not a problem the 5 days a week they served meals. It was all you could eat and Thursday night was all you could eat steak. It was the weekends that were the problem where they couldn't provide meals.

I wasn't privvy to the particulars. His gripe was "They expect a big, active football player to get by on the same amount of food as a non-athlete". The details of that aren't something I know.

If I owned Mama Goldbergs I would be talking to JJ about setting up a franchise operation that was open during the off hours of the dining hall...open seven days a week.....to 10PM or so.

Archived