Randall Dickey

9306276.jpeg

http://www.auburntig...key_638805.html

Sources tell AuburnUndercover that Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs has assigned former director of basketball operations Randall Dickey a new job.

Dickey will apparently work in the roll of players advocate.

His job will be to ensure that players at Auburn have a good experience and to help address any issues that may arise.

Dickey's first assignment will involve the baseball team. There was widespread unrest among the players throughout the past season and intense speculation regarding the job status of coach Sonny Golloway.

http://247sports.com...vocate-29082513

It could turn out well, it could be horrible. If Dickey's job will be to take the player's side against the coach and undermine what the coach is doing, we'll have a hard time keeping or getting a coach in any sport.

It could turn out well, it could be horrible. If Dickey's job will be to take the player's side against the coach and undermine what the coach is doing, we'll have a hard time keeping or getting a coach in any sport.

Yep....IMO, it is not the best thing for the baseball program that something like this would even be contemplated. Dickey has a good bio and a baseball background too.

Hope Sunny is a willing (if not eager) supporter of the plan. ....since it was likely the baseball situation that raised the possible need....that and the union election up at Northwestern....JJ heading 'em off at the pass perhaps :-\ .

Not a fan of this at all. This hire just screams coaching deficiencies. If the head coach can't manage/control the players he's been hired to do, then perhaps we need to make a change at that position not go out and hire a moderator.

Not a fan of this at all. This hire just screams coaching deficiencies. If the head coach can't manage/control the players he's been hired to do, then perhaps we need to make a change at that position not go out and hire a moderator.

As I read this..it's not just about baseball...just that baseball is where it's starting because of some recent issues.

But hey, the times they are a changin'. Back in the day, parents complaining to coaches about "little Johnny getting playing time" was only about Little League...now we have college parents doing it and college administrators apparently listening.

Then again, many schools have an ombudsman that serves as a sort of a counselor/advocate for students at large and this sounds to me like an extension of that practice. It's a delicate role but Dickey has been a coach and I hope he can walk the tightrope.

Sounds to me like a way to put a buffer between the parents and the coach while making it sound like it's strictly to benefit the kids... and honestly, I'm all for that. You can't coach a team and constantly deal with outside issues.

Sounds to me like a way to put a buffer between the parents and the coach while making it sound like it's strictly to benefit the kids... and honestly, I'm all for that. You can't coach a team and constantly deal with outside issues.

Am I alone in thinking that as SG gets his own recruits, the parents will stop bitching? Is this merely a momentary stop gap of sorts? (TigerBelle, you need not respond ;))

You

Am I alone in thinking that as SG gets his own recruits, the parents will stop bitching? Is this merely a momentary stop gap of sorts? (TigerBelle, you need not respond ;))

You are assuming if a player he brings in has a bad game that Galloway won't go after that player in Public. As I have said in the past I have no problem with a tough coach that will take a player to task. As long as it is ideally between player and coach or at worst between coach and team.

• 2 weeks later...

You have no idea what actually took place, and yet you are automatically assuming that the players were at fault. That WAS NOT at all the case with the baseball team. The COACH is the at heart of all the trouble.

Since CSG was also a problem at OK, this situation should not be a complete surprise to JJ. He had to know that the potential was there.

Dickey will never be able to change the personality of CSG, so I have to wonder how much time and effort will be expended on him after this very public embarassment right out of the gate.

You have no idea what actually took place, and yet you are automatically assuming that the players were at fault. That WAS NOT at all the case with the baseball team. The COACH is the at heart of all the trouble.

Since CSG was also a problem at OK, this situation should not be a complete surprise to JJ. He had to know that the potential was there.

Dickey will never be able to change the personality of CSG, so I have to wonder how much time and effort will be expended on him after this very public embarassment right out of the gate.

So he went to the NCAA Regionals (or higher) in 14 of his 15 seasons at Oral Roberts and Oklahoma....and he is "a problem" ? :-\

Gotta admit he sometimes seems like an a********* but I'm not sure where this "problem" business comes from? Might be that he doesn't "suffer fools" as the saying goes, and doesn't mince words about what he thinks....but our recent string of nice-guy coaches had a difficult time recruiting enough SEC level players....or getting the best out of their players. Anyway, I guess we will see if CSG's approach works any better.

One thing for certain, the recent MLB draft did not show us much about the quality of our senior leadership when even our leading pitcher (who I thought did a lot with a little) was not even drafted.

Good Grief. Have you read anything besides a message board? The problems had nothing to do with his record of wins or losses.

There are plenty of coaches who win, have class and treat their players as human beings....like Gus. There's absolutely no reason to settle for less.

The quality of the senior leadership was NOT the issue with AU's team.

I would not put the teams troubles entirely on the seniors, but the talent on this team is THE PROBLEM. CSG inherited this talent, so how on earth one could blame him is beyond me. He may be an a$$ at times, but the guy can flat out coach! Kind of reminds you of a coach across the state. Anyone calling for his head?

Archived