Coming To New Orleans For The Sugar Bowl?

JetaTek

As someone whose lived in New Orleans for the past 4.5 years (I'm just finishing up undergrad studies at Tulane), I thought I'd offer up some suggestions for all the Auburn fans coming into town for the Sugar Bowl. If the admins consider this helpful in letting everyone get the most out of their trips down, feel free to sticky it. :)

Hotels

The big ones on Canal St. include the Marriott, Sheraton, Wyndham, Ritz-Carlton, Astor Crowne Plaza, & JW Marriott. I've stayed in the first 5 of those and liked the Wyndham the best. A few blocks over on Poydras is The W (very contemporary) and a lesser known Queen & Crescent. The Queen & Crescent is really close to the Superdome and really high quality for the price (I only paid $65 last time I stayed there...albeit on a Monday night). The Hyatt Regency is practically connected to the Superdome by way of the New Orleans Centre, but I'd anticipate those rooms to be pretty pricey for this event. Another hotel within decent walking distance is the Quality Inn on O'Keefe. I had some friends in town this past weekend that stayed there and it was really nice for the price. If any of you are looking at other hotels, you can post here or PM me and I'll let you know if I have any insight on quality and location.

Restaurants

Everyone probably knows there's practically a one-to-one ratio of restaurants to residents in NOLA, but I've got a few that I really like. Here are a few reviews my fiancée did for my website...

Best Sunday Brunch

The Columns Hotel

3811 St. Charles Avenue

Sundays 11-3

The Columns Hotel brunch cannot be topped. The atmosphere is everything one could ask for in a New Orleans Brunch. Everything from the $5.00 bottles of champagne (yes, full bottles), to the brie soup and bacon wrapped filet, makes me ecstatic each time we visit The Columns. A table for two can easily eat for $50 there, including alcohol. The streetcar, the people bustling by, and the down home atmosphere make The Columns something special. I'd skip a week's worth of meals for one brunch at The Columns. "Nuff said.

Best Breakfast

Slim Goodies

3322 Magazine Street

Slim Goodies is the best hangover breakfast I've ever encountered. Everything from the slammin' eggs to the buttery, melt in your mouth pancakes makes me feel like a better person after a long night of debauchery. This quirky little diner gets pretty busy around 11:00 am, so plan to wait a few minutes for a table, or get there early. It may not be as well known as the rest (like Camellia Grille & Bluebird Cafe), but I've had the others, and Slim Goodies takes the (pan) cake.

Best Sushi

Ninja

8433 Oak Street

Ninja is our favorite sushi restaurant. We like the others, but nobody can beat Ninja's fresh taste, inexpensive prices (especially at happy hour), and colorful clock on the wall. Ninja's staff is always friendly (Ms. June is so sweet), accommodating, and we always have a fun, relaxing meal there. I can always count on going home ready to do nothing but sleep for hours. Now that's good sushi.

Best Dinner Restaurant (Mid Price)

Cannon's Restaurant

4141 St. Charles Avenue

Cannon's is a great place to take your parents for dinner. The food is consistent, the wait staff courteous, and the view of St. Charles is always pleasant. Prices range from $10-$25 for an entrée, and sides are always hearty. I always enjoyed Cannon's for a quiet dinner without going all out.

Other Notables

Port of Call

838 Esplanade Ave

By far the best burger in New Orleans. It's on the other side of the French Quarter from Canal St., but totally worth the 10 minute walk. Try a Monsoon from the bar, too.

Crescent City Brewhouse

527 Decatur St

Really good food, and they actually brew their own beer (4 different types). Try the Decatur St burger and get a pint of the Red Stallion beer.

Bubba Gump Shrimp Company

429 Decatur St

I know it sounds a bit touristy, but the food here is really good. Try the Shrimp Poboy and definitely get a bowl of their gumbo. It's so good.

Angeli

1141 Decatur St

Delicious pizza and Italian food with great prices. Best of all it's open 24/7.

Bars

I'll try to list both the ones that are famous (and your friends will undoubtedly ask if you went there once you get back home), as well as some that you may not have heard of on websites or brochures.

Pat O'Brien's

624 Bourbon St

It will be packed because the Sugar Bowl is in town, but it really is a great bar. Make sure you get a Hurricane from here (and don't get one anywhere else; it won't be nearly as good.)

Tropical Isle

721 Bourbon St

No trip down Bourbon is complete unless you get a Hand Grenade from Tropical Isle. And yes, that's Everclear you taste in it.

Muriel's Jackson Square

801 Chartres St

It's directly to the right of the St. Louis Cathedral, and they have the best Jack & Cokes in the city, IMO. Make sure once you order your drinks downstairs, that you head upstairs to the balcony overlooking Jackson Square. This is probably one of the best kept secrets in the French Quarter.

Whiskey Blue

333 Poydras St

This bar is downstairs in The W Hotel and is pretty upscale. If you're looking for a place to bring your significant other for a champagne toast on NYE, this gets my recommendation.

Hookah Cafe

502 Frenchman St

If you're looking to try something different, hit up the Hookah Cafe. I had never smoked a hookah until this past September, but it's really relaxing and a good way to end up a night of drinking in the Quarter. For those of you wondering, no it's not marijuana or anything sinister/illegal. It's just a really smooth tobacco. I highly recommend the Five Star Apple Blend. Only about $10, absolutely delicious, and will last two people about 45 minutes.

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop

941 Bourbon St

It's the oldest bar in the U.S. that's still open as a bar. They usually have someone on the piano at night. I suggest trying one of the local beers from Abita while you're there. My favorite is Abita Amber, and the Abita Christmas Ale is really good this year.

Entertainment

For those of you heading into town early, I thought I'd mention a few of the New Years Eve shows going on around town.

New Years Eve Events

Astral Project (Jazz Quartet)

Snug Harbor

626 Frenchman St

This will no doubt be one of the more intimate NYE events in the city. Snug Harbor is probably the best jazz venue in New Orleans, and Astral Project is arguably one of the best jazz groups from the city. I've seen these guys about 5 times over the years and they never disappoint.

Galactic (Jazz/Funk/Rock Sextet)

Tipitina's Uptown

501 Napolean Ave

Galactic is always a pleasure to watch, and the fact they're playing at one of the most famous music venues in New Orleans on NYE will make it even better. The price is a little steep for this one ($50 a head), but you'll no doubt go home happy.

Freebass 3005

State Palace Theatre

1108 Canal St.

For those of you looking for something a bit more high-energy, this is the annual NYE rave at the legendary State Palace Theatre on Canal. This year's lineup includes DJ's such as Space Girl, Kid Koala, Simply Jeff, Terry Mullan, & DB. I've done this the past 3 years and always have a blast.

Other Entertainment Options (i.e. Not NYE)

Dragon's Den

435 Esplanade Ave

This small and cozy venue is tucked above Siam Cafe near Frenchman St. With its dim lighting, velvet-cushioned seats, balcony seating and exotic atmosphere, it is the perfect place to enjoy some of New Orleans' most delicious Thai food as well as local music and poetry.

Funky Butt

714 N. Rampart St

Listen to some jazz and blues acts, take in the 1920's decor, and enjoy bars on both floors. This was the first jazz club I ever went to in NOLA, and is still one of my favorites.

Preservation Hall

726 St. Peter St

Old men, with hundreds of years of jazz experience under their belts, wearing funny hats and blowing with conviction. The vibe is rickety and the scene is tourist-laden, but the jazz is authentic and some of the best in town.

The House of Blues Parish Room

225 Decatur St

An imtimate and amazing musical experience is always in store with concerts at the Parish. This sister venue to the House of Blues is located right next door and provides a lower stage and smaller area, allowing for an up close and personal music experience unlike any other in the city.

Cafe Brasil

2100 Chartres St

Hot music and dancing rule at this Frenchmen St staple. Move to the Latin, jazz, Brazilian, and other pumping music into the early morning hours, or sit outside and enjoy the local musicians' talent. Go by any Friday or Saturday night for some cold drinks and people hanging in the street.

Circle Bar

1032 St. Charles Ave

This hot spot in the old Fleur de Lee is the happy hour and late-night hangout for Warehouse District dwellers, and its intimate setting and live music acts make it worth a trip to Lee Circle from anywhere in the city. Take some time to appreciate the decor while you listen to the great music, and see the K&B clock.

Final Thoughts/Pointers

If you're staying anywhere in the Central Business District of French Quarter, you'll be able to walk to the game from your hotel. You can literally get from the far side of the Quarter to the Dome in less than 20 minutes on foot. If you do want to take a cab around, expect a premium to be tacked onto your rate because of the Sugar Bowl. They inevitably do it for special events like this and Mardi Gras.

If there's something else you're interested in doing or finding out about, feel free to send me a PM or post on this thread and I'll be happy to try and help you out. I love New Orleans and Auburn Football, so I hope this is useful for you guys. :)

What about Cafe du Mon? :P I want me some square doughnuts!

130080[/snapback]

That would go in the "Best Food To Get At 4:00AM When You're Stumbling Back To Your Hotel" category. ;)

Along with Lucky Dogs (which there are stands for like every block in the Quarter). I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat one of those under normal conditions, but they're so good at 4:00AM. Hehe.

What about Cafe du Mon? :P I want me some square doughnuts!

130080[/snapback]

That would go in the "Best Food To Get At 4:00AM When You're Stumbling Back To Your Hotel" category. ;)

Along with Lucky Dogs (which there are stands for like every block in the Quarter). I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat one of those under normal conditions, but they're so good at 4:00AM. Hehe.

130081[/snapback]

I have only eatin a "Lucky Dog" once while in NO........NEVER AGAIN!!! Just look at the people selling them and you will not want to eat it.....I would not advise eating one.....even at 4:00 AM! :poke:

I really enjoy Pat O's but my favorite place to go is the Famous Door.....If you go just watch out...the lovely "Shot Girls" might take all your money! :P

I really enjoy Pat O's but my favorite place to go is the Famous Door.....If you go just watch out...the lovely "Shot Girls" might take all your money! :P

You're right about the shot girls at Famous Door. I went to the Abita Fall Fest Pub Crawl this past September, and Famous Door was the second stop on the crawl. If you didn't put your foot down at the beginning, the aggressive shot girls would literally put the test tubes in your mouth before you could even say no. A friend of mine ended up spending about $80 on shots just at that one stop. :no:

Nice job with the Visitor's Guide, JetaTek. I won't be attending the Sugar Bowl this time around but I have spent some time down there (long ago.) Have to agree with you about the Hurricanes at Pat O'Brian's -- anywhere else & they just don't taste as good. :au: WDE 12-0

You're right about the shot girls at Famous Door. I went to the Abita Fall Fest Pub Crawl this past September, and Famous Door was the second stop on the crawl. If you didn't put your foot down at the beginning, the aggressive shot girls would literally put the test tubes in your mouth before you could even say no. A friend of mine ended up spending about $80 on shots just at that one stop. :no:

130090[/snapback]

Yep, sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me....but all those shots sure did make for a rather "EVENTFUL" night on Bourbon St. I had taken 8 shots in the first 5 minutes in the door....No kiddin....Lucky the shots are not that strong or I would have :puke: ....... :D

Port of Call is easily my most "Go To" resturant if your looking for food/drinks without dressing up with a tie/jacket.

Went there for years in HS.

If some of the younger crowd wants to go to bars that aren't right in the middle of the French Quarter (which I fully recommend)....

I suggest Fat Harry's, which I will be at (if anyone wants to meet up).

There are other bars such as The Boot and Waldo's which are right near each other but they can be somewhat of a much younger crowd (High School kids included).

We at at the Redfish Grill in August and it was very good. Not cheep but not any more than most restraunts. I think we spent about $22 per plate plus drinks.

Pat O's does have the best hurricanes but since I am from Pensacola I no longer desire anything associated with wind. Glad we are not playing Miami or I would not be going. ;)

Add Johnny's Po-Boys to the Restaurants/Diner. That place is awesome. Really good for a quick meal and as authentic as it gets. If you go, get the crabcake po-boy. It is so freaking good!

Johnny's Po-Boys

511 St. Louis St.

Port of Call is easily my most "Go To" resturant if your looking for food/drinks without dressing up with a tie/jacket.

Went there for years in HS.

Good call. B)

If some of the younger crowd wants to go to bars that aren't right in the middle of the French Quarter (which I fully recommend)....

I suggest Fat Harry's, which I will be at (if anyone wants to meet up).

Fat Harry's is definitely a good recommendation. Nothing like relaxing on their patio and watching the street car go by. I'd actually be willing to link up and grab a drink with you. We'll coordinate as January gets closer.

The reason I focused most of my attention to the downtown bars was that I figured most of the people will be staying in hotels downtown (and this way you can just do it all on foot).

If people are interested in venturing to bars away from downtown, though, there are a few additional ones I would recommend.

The Balcony Bar

3201 Magazine St

Great atmosphere here on Magazine St, and lots of good restaurants in the near vicinity. Try getting a pitcher of Andy Gator (Abita's malt liquor) and splitting it with friends. Good times guaranteed.

The Bulldog

3236 Magazine St

This bar is almost right across the street from the Balcony Bar, and has over 50 beers on tap and over 100 more in bottles. If you're in town on Wednesday, you get to keep all the pint glasses you drink from.

Maddigan's

800 S. Carrollton

This bar reminds me of Cheers. Very chill atmosphere, pool table, and patio seating. Ask for Heather if you go.

There are other bars such as The Boot and Waldo's which are right near each other but they can be somewhat of a much younger crowd (High School kids included).

Ack, I can't in good conscious recommend The Boot to anyone. It's like the sloppy seconds of bars (even college bars). ;)

Waldo's switched ownership last spring, and now it's called The Palms. They switched to a 21+ format, though, so the younger crowd won't be able to check it out.

As for the younger crowd, Bruno's at 7601 Maple St would get my recommendation. Definitely a hotspot for the Tulane/Loyola students, and it's right across the street from TJ Quills (another 18+ bar), so you have some venue options.

:lol:

The Boot was where I went to when I was a sophmore and junior in HS....but I had heard that this year they cracked down on the 21 restriction.....not sure if they actually had though......

Didn't know that about Waldo's....damn....that place used to have .25 cent nights when I was in High School.

Bruno's! How the hell could I forget that place? The owner of that bar has a son who went to my High School, Jesuit, and thats where we go outside of Fat Harry's and (help me out here....whats the bar that runs along the river....go all the way down Jefferson Ave....and take a left and down a few blocks?).

(help me out here....whats the bar that runs along the river....go all the way down Jefferson Ave....and take a left and down a few blocks?).

Down Jefferson Ave? You're not talking about Cooter Brown's right there by River Rd. & the intersection of St. Charles Ave & Carrolton, are you?

whats the bar that runs along the river....go all the way down Jefferson Ave....and take a left and down a few blocks?).

130169[/snapback]

You thinking of Cooter Brown? It's been 10+ years since high school, I forget the bar names. And Slink, for some reason I thought you went to Brother Martin, not Jesuit.

Someone asked about hotels. I've stayed at the Courtyard in Metairie (right on Causeway and I-10) for weddings, and once for a Mardi Gras ball. We took a cab to the quarter and it wasn't over 20 bucks. Hotel room was about 100 bucks, but I'm sure it's jacked up for New Years.

For sightseeing, I highly recommend the following two:

National D-Day Museum. http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

It's been a few years since I went, and this was before they did expansion onto the Pacific wing. I highly recommend this. I had a few friends from Illinois that went to NO when they played in the sugar bowl a few years ago, and they loved this.

Haunted History Tours. http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com/

These are my absolute favorite tours of the city. Everytime my family has family come in from out of town, we tell them to take the Ghost Tour that they offer. The Ghost tour meets right next to Pat O's, and takes about 3-4 hours, walking (and yes, you stop and have a beer in a haunted bar).

Hope you guys have fun. I've got to buy furniture for baby jarhead due in Feb, so I can't afford to go.

I've been to New Orleans many times over the past 20 years, and here is my 2 cents worth (okay, maybe $1.50).

Mulate's is a great restaurant/entertainment experience. It mostly succeeds in being an authentic Cajun dance hall, with good food and live Cajun music. It's a little touristy, but it is a family restaurant and lots of fun. There is a dance floor and plenty of locals to show you the steps. Mulate's is not in the French Quarter but only a few blocks on the other side of Canal Street, near the river.

Frank's Restaurant on Decatur Street in the French Quarter makes the best po-boys. The oyster po-boy so good you will want to order another but your stomach simply won't be able to hold it. Good to get a po-boy to go for the long drive back. Blackened Voodoo beer with a po-boy is a great combination (not while driving back). Try to get one of the tables on the balcony overlooking the street at lunchtime.

Pere Antoine's (not the famous overpriced Antoine's) is a good restaurant for a nice meal at a reasonable price. It's located on Royal Street, behind Jackson Square. The jambalaya is usually good and the bread pudding is delicious. I have eaten there every trip to NO since 1985.

Ralph and Cacoo's is a great restaurant also, pretty touristy and usually have to wait to get inside, but the food is hardy good, particularly the hushpuppies and any seafood platter. Pretty good blackened redfish, if you like that sort of thing.

As for bars, go to Pat O'Brien's for a hurricane, but when you get tired of the drunks, noise, and overwhelming crowds, head over to O'Flaherty's on Toulouse. If you like Irish music or just fun folksy music, this place will be your port o'call on every subsequent trip to NO. Danny O'Flaherty is a great singer and always provides lots of laughs along with some of the best live music in the Quarter. Some of the warm-up acts will make you want to head for the exit, but Danny is the real deal and comes on stage around 8 or 9 pm.

Preservation Hall on St. Peter's street is worth the wait to get in, just for the experience. It's not slick. It's not sexy. But it is real traditional New Orleans jazz.

This is a real personal decision, but I performed my own taste test, and I would have to vote the best pralines to be found at Leah's, a small candy shop deep in the Quarter. Better than Aunt Sally's.

My favorite hotel is the Dauphine Inn, one block off Bourbon Street. You're near the action, but there isn't so much noise that it keeps you up all night. There are nicer hotels, but are you really going to NO to spend time in the hotel? The hotels along Canal Street are more modern and upscale, but it is a hard 20 minute walk to the French Quarter.

Lastly, just go to the Cafe du Monde. The chickory coffee is a better reason to stop in than the donuts. Good people watching too.

Worth seeing/doing-- ride a street car through the garden district, Audubon Park (art museum is pretty good), the zoo, St. Louis cathedral, the Mardi Gras museum at the Old Mint, the Mardi Gras float tour, and stroll along the Mississippi River between Jackson Square and Esplanade just before sunset.

Worth missing-- Jackson brewery, Riverwalk Mall, swamp tour (the gators hibernate in the winter), Jean Lafitte's bar, and any tt bar on Bourbon Street (except for maybe Big Daddy's on a good night or a long drunk).

Forget about driving in the French Quarter. It's better to park at the hotel or a garage and walk-- wear comfortable shoes because there will be a lot of walking but there is a lot to see/do.

National D-Day Museum.  http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

It's been a few years since I went, and this was before they did expansion onto the Pacific wing.  I highly recommend this.  I had a few friends from Illinois that went to NO when they played in the sugar bowl a few years ago, and they loved this.

I second this. I've been 4 times now, and I still get choked up every time. The Pacific exhibit is a bit more cramped than the original European exhibit, but you have to kind of expect that since the Pacific was kind of added as an afterthought. If you've got a weak stomach, though, skip the last part where they show the locals from Hiroshima after the bombing. :icon_sick:

I'm actually getting commissioned there on December 18 into the Air Force. So it holds some sentimental value for me, too. :)

(help me out here....whats the bar that runs along the river....go all the way down Jefferson Ave....and take a left and down a few blocks?).

Down Jefferson Ave? You're not talking about Cooter Brown's right there by River Rd. & the intersection of St. Charles Ave & Carrolton, are you?

130172[/snapback]

F & M's!

Thats it

F & M's!

Thats it

Ah yes, for some reason I was thinking of Jefferson Hwy & not Jefferson Ave so I didn't put two & two together. :blink:

Yeah, I'm not sure the last time you were at F&M's, but they "annexed" the property directly beside them a while back, so it's a lot bigger now. The food still rocks. :P

I don't remember the last time I went because I time-traveled a bit but I remember someone telling me that.

F&M's is without doubt a place I would recommend for college kids.

I have to 2nd the red fish grill reccomendation. My wife and I eat there every time we go to NO and its always superb. You can get a meal there that is just as good as places that cost 3-2 times a much.

One of my personal favorites in NO is Mother's on the 400 block of Poydras (sp) steet. Incredible breakfast, lunch and dinner. Pretty freaking cheap, too.

One of my personal favorites in NO is Mother's on the 400 block of Poydras (sp) steet. Incredible breakfast, lunch and dinner. Pretty freaking cheap, too.

130217[/snapback]

I love Mother's too. But it's always crowded. And, there are pictures of Marines everywhere. :) If you can get there early for lunch, it's great.

Archived