Isn't this part of what makes college football...?

Streyeder

Think about this. Say we have a playoff, everyone works it down and AU wins the NC. Would you have football on your mind at all times as adamently as you do now? I mean, does the controversy not make it even more intriguing to follow, post about, and ponder every waking moment? The next tiem AU ever plays OU or USC, will the game now not mean more than if everythign had been worked out nicely?

My point is, I think the controversy that is created in the bowl system, formerly the tie-ins and now the BcS, is a major part of what makes college football one of the greatest games played.

I'm not trying to make an arguement over who should be in the NC game. I'm making an arguement that the existance of controversy period, no matter the teams included, is essential to college football. Sure, the everyone under D-1A has playoffs...and how many do you watch or follow? Do you get excited over them? Most likely not...

I guess I might feel like this a little more if we were under the old system. At least then the three teams would play other people and there would be a chance that Auburn could move up if they lost. But the BCS seeks to give some kind of legitimacy to the concept of a national champion by pitting 1 vs. 2, thus locking out any other possibilities normally.

At least under the old system, there would be three must see bowl games (at least) all of which could end up claiming to have crowned the national champion. But all the BCS seems to have done is make things worse in a lot of ways and renders the other bowls almost meaningless by comparison.

people are excited about college football period...whether it is the BCS crap, a playoff, the old bowl system, or a jousting match between the coaches...people would get excited.

Think about this. Say we have a playoff, everyone works it down and AU wins the NC. Would you have football on your mind at all times as adamently as you do now? I mean, does the controversy not make it even more intriguing to follow, post about, and ponder every waking moment? The next tiem AU ever plays OU or USC, will the game now not mean more than if everythign had been worked out nicely?

My point is, I think the controversy that is created in the bowl system, formerly the tie-ins and now the BcS, is a major part of what makes college football one of the greatest games played.

I'm not trying to make an arguement over who should be in the NC game. I'm making an arguement that the existance of controversy period, no matter the teams included, is  essential to college football. Sure, the everyone under D-1A has playoffs...and how many do you watch or follow? Do you get excited over them? Most likely not...

130864[/snapback]

I disagree. I think that we should have a playoff because it covers who is better this year. Not "OU and Auburn should have played for the NC 3 years ago, so this is like a rematch"; it is not representative of the OU team from 04 or the Auburn team from 04. Would I still get keyed up for a OU-Auburn or a USC-Auburn game? Yes, in both cases, it is an Auburn football game against a school with a huge and historic football legacy.

Even if there was the "perfect" system for determining the national champions, we would still argue and discuss this. There is logic involved in the discussion, but there are emotions committed to it.

Since we are on the dirty side of the shaft this year, we talk about it a lot more, looking for some closure and then moving on to the Sugar Bowl game. I'm sure there is a Cal board out there some place having the same discussion on why they are on their bowl trip involves staying in their home state. :)

WDE!

Jason

No there would be just as much excitement for a playoff. Just think about what March madness does for college hoops. You watch teams and learn about players you have never seen before. Does a lot for the sport nationally.

I am excited and proud to be an AUBURN TIGER. I am EXTREMELY proud of this group of young men that BEAT every foe and left NO DOUBT as to just how talented they truly are and how well coached they have been.

The 2004 AUBURN TIGERS :au:

STATE CHAMPIONS......yet again. :au:

UNDEFEATED SEC CHAMPIONS....vanquished EVERY foe. :au:

Champions ON THE FIELD...Let them give the very mythical nc to whomever they will...WE KNOW that these Tigers can't be denied ! ! ! :au:

WAR EAGLE...O N E at a time. :au:

14 in a row...va tech is next on the list ! ! ! :au::au:

I am excited and proud to be an AUBURN TIGER. I am EXTREMELY proud of this group of young men that BEAT every foe and left NO DOUBT as to just how talented they truly are and how well coached they have been.

The 2004 AUBURN TIGERS :au:

STATE CHAMPIONS......yet again. :au:

UNDEFEATED SEC CHAMPIONS....vanquished EVERY foe. :au:

Champions ON THE FIELD...Let them give the very mythical nc to whomever they will...WE KNOW that these Tigers can't be denied ! ! ! :au:

WAR EAGLE...O N E at a time. :au:

14 in a row...va tech is next on the list ! ! ! :au:   :au:

130948[/snapback]

You don't have to work hard to make it obvious you didn't read my post. :poke:

Archived