Nebraska hires Mike Riley

RunInRed

pg2_u_riley_576.jpg

Nebraska has hired Mike Riley as its new Head Football Coach, Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst announced today

@BTNTomDienhart

Huskers, help us welcome Coach Mike Riley to the Big Red family! #GBR

@Huskers

Riley comes to Nebraska after 14 seasons as the head coach at Oregon State University, spanning two different tenures in Corvallis. Riley has led OSU to 93 wins and a 6-2 record in postseason bowl games. In addition to his time at Oregon State, Riley has served as the head coach of the San Diego Chargers, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League, with whom he won two Grey Cup Championships, and the San Antonio Riders in the World Football League. He has served as an assistant coach at California, USC, Linfield College, Whitworth and Northern Colorado as well as with the New Orleans Saints and in the Canadian Football League.

Riley is a native of Idaho and a graduate of the University of Alabama, where he played for Paul “Bear” Bryant and won three SEC titles and one National Championship.

http://www.ketv.com/...h-pick/30057630

Not a "splash" move for sure. Proof that Nebraska has finally accepted that they are (were) Tom Osborne with "Bear Bryant (lack-of) Rules".

Other than that...they're just a school...located in a corn-field....in the middle of the country....with less to offer than many, many, many other "football" schools located in much more appealing locations...

The anti-Bo....nice guy, probably easy for the school to manage and no wrangling with the local media types...and will probably do as well as Bo without the drama.

Odd hire indeed, I guess they just wanted a change because this is a lateral move.

Lateral move for who? OSU is in the bottom tier of the Pac 12 with not much chance to rise...whereas Neb has a chance to compete at the top of the Big 10.

I haven't looked into how they hooked up, but this seems like a real head scratcher.

Can't help but think this is the Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchione, Mike Price, Mike Sula era for Nebraska following after Osborne.

Two things I can say on this, they never looked at Bielema and this will be better than most expect, I have known Shawn Eichorst for 15 years, it is a revamping of the program to have a staff in place to be ready for the obvious changing of what college football is becoming.

Two things I can say on this, they never looked at Bielema and this will be better than most expect, I have known Shawn Eichorst for 15 years, it is a revamping of the program to have a staff in place to be ready for the obvious changing of what college football is becoming.

An interesting comment...could you elaborate as to what you mean by the changes coming? maybe not the place on the board for that but I too think college football is in for some big changes....curious what you (and maybe Nebraska) see for the future.

An interesting comment...could you elaborate as to what you mean by the changes coming? maybe not the place on the board for that but I too think college football is in for some big changes....curious what you (and maybe Nebraska) see for the future.

For the most part it is about the change in offensive schemes, the Big 10 is finally evolving to the new schemes, player fits and ability to recruit. Shawn knows they can get state kids, but also is aware that recruits wanna be involved in an offense that shows their talent and Texas is the one area that they recruited well, but under Osborne they also recruited the west coast, CA, well and that is where Riley can further help things. Shawn also thinks about all aspects of the program and while he may not be a splash hire by some, he can't wait to see what he can do with Nebraska's brand, recognition and facilities compared to what he had at OSU.

For the most part it is about the change in offensive schemes, the Big 10 is finally evolving to the new schemes, player fits and ability to recruit. Shawn knows they can get state kids, but also is aware that recruits wanna be involved in an offense that shows their talent and Texas is the one area that they recruited well, but under Osborne they also recruited the west coast, CA, well and that is where Riley can further help things. Shawn also thinks about all aspects of the program and while he may not be a splash hire by some, he can't wait to see what he can do with Nebraska's brand, recognition and facilities compared to what he had at OSU.

Thanks...and he should benefit from coaching at THE university in Nebraska whereas OSU was definitely over-shadowed by Phil Knight and the Ducks.. and the higher profile schools in Calif. And people around there will appreciate his personal style I expect.

he can't wait to see what he can do with Nebraska's brand, recognition and facilities compared to what he had at OSU.

He can start with this....

CR-1600.jpg?lr=t&bw=300

Do they ever actually wear black shirts? :dunno:

The defense wore the blackshirts in practice every day if I remember correctly. That is where that came from, not the actual game jerseys.

he can't wait to see what he can do with Nebraska's brand, recognition and facilities compared to what he had at OSU.

CR-1600.jpg?lr=t&bw=300

The defense wore the blackshirts in practice every day if I remember correctly. That is where that came from, not the actual game jerseys.

Pellini had them wearing that crap for practice ~ he also brought his damn cat to practice and tried to rally his players around the cat. (wish I could find the pic)

CR-1600.jpg?lr=t&bw=300

Do they ever actually wear black shirts? :dunno:/>

Pellini had them wearing that crap for practice ~ he also brought his damn cat to practice and tried to rally his players around the cat. (wish I could find the pic)

Bo Pelini is a cat lady?

Edit: Yep. Cat lady.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/bo-pelini-cat

CR-1600.jpg?lr=t&bw=300

Ya, but it goes way back before Pelini

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=4435

Nebraska will be doing this coaching search thing all over again in 4-5 years. If that's who they think can get them over the hump they need to re-evaluate their criteria.

Talk about a slap in the face for the tahd ! Several years ago, they were trying to get him ,& he wouldn't leave Oregon State. But now he couldn't pass up a chance to "coach one of the most storied programs in America" LOL, Gotta love it.

Archived