Terry Bowden

Tigermike

I know it is hard, but please read the entire article before starting your rant. :big:

Bowden likes a lot of things about Auburn

Monday, December 20, 2004

When Terry Bowden left Auburn as the head football coach six years ago, he had a lot of questions.

He was no different on his return Saturday.

But these were football questions for football people.

Gathering information and providing insight is Bowden's job at ABC Sports. Because he'll be in the Superdome to work the Auburn-Virginia Tech Sugar Bowl, he spent Saturday getting to know the Tigers up close and personal.

Bowden liked what he saw.

"Everybody's happy," he said Sunday from the Atlanta airport, waiting for a flight to visit Virginia Tech. "Everybody likes each other. It was a winning atmosphere. A lot of unselfishness. There was a lot of love going on."

The more he talked to the people who led this team to a 12-0 record, the more he flashed back to the people who led Bowden's first team at Auburn to an 11-0 record in 1993.

"When you look at Jason Campbell, I see Stan White," Bowden said. "When you look at Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams, I see James Bostic and Stephen Davis. I see a no-name defense. I see so many similarities of guys who just had something to prove."

In a sad coincidence, the 1993 team went unbeaten but couldn't play in the postseason because of probation. Those players still got rings.

The 2004 team is undefeated but isn't playing in the BCS title game. If the Tigers win the Sugar Bowl, Bowden said, "they deserve to be honored as if they're national champions."

"There's nothing fair about it," he said of two undefeated, unfulfilled teams. "There is something very Auburn about it. It seems like it's always been very Auburn to have to deal with things like that."

It's also very Auburn to worry, during the best of times, when the other shoe will drop. The team's undefeated, but there's concern that the situation behind the scenes is unsettled.

Who's going to be the new AD? When's the president going to add more security to the coach's contract? Who's really running the show?

Bowden didn't ask those questions. Not out loud.

"I tried to avoid that," he said. "I didn't ask them who's going to be the AD, whether the president is supportive or not, whether the trustees are involved or not. I'm trying extra hard to not be part of the story."

But Bowden knows from first-hand experience that the story of Auburn football doesn't begin and end on the football field or in the football building. He feels a kinship with Tuberville, especially after last year's Jetgate, because "I know in a personal way what he's gone through."

"This has been the easiest year for me to cheer for Auburn," Bowden said, "to see how well they can do without interference from outside sources. This is how good they can be."

The way Bowden sees it, "all the ingredients are there" for Auburn to remain a consistent program that challenges for championships.

There's just one question.

"Does Tommy have somebody above him he can trust?" Bowden said. "I don't know. I didn't ask."

That's Auburn. Don't ask. Time will tell. Kevin Scarbinsky's column appears Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Write him at kscarbinsky@bhamnews.com.

LINK

I just wonder if Tommy's near termination will come up during the telecast.

If Verne Lundquest was calling the game, I bet he would tell the same story word for word like he has said the previous 6-7 times

I know he said it during Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, not sure about Arkansas

An when writing an article or mentioning Auburn on TV, everyone must include at least 2 things:

1. The disappointing 2003 season

2. "jetgate"

I wouldn't be surprized to see it written somewhere in the NCAA bylaws.

I'd like to see one, just one, other BCS team treated the same way. It's disgusting.

An when writing an article or mentioning Auburn on TV, everyone must include at least 2 things:

1. The disappointing 2003 season

2. "jetgate"

I wouldn't be surprized to see it written somewhere in the NCAA bylaws.

I'd like to see one, just one, other BCS team treated the same way. It's disgusting.

132924[/snapback]

You mean like an article about the criminal now coaching at OLE Mess who's from USC???!!!

:big:

I'm still waiting for the stations to cover Bob Stoopps boo hooing over ESPN taking a liking to Auburn.

What about ESPN, who is also a part of ABC. Hello, ABC has a contract with the Big 12 not the SEC

Phillip Fulmer could have a book wrote, no a series about all of his involvements.

Haven't heard much about Alabama's probation.

TB may like a lot of things about Auburn but is there anything Auburn likes about TB? :moon:

132952[/snapback]

I know it's none of my business, and maybe I just didn't keep myself informed, or maybe I forgot. What did Bowden do to Auburn? I know ya'll didn't plan on keeping him long anyway, but what did he do to have to leave mid season. We have too many loose lips over our way, and if we lose a coach(for what ever reason) everyone in the country knows when and why.

TB may like a lot of things about Auburn but is there anything Auburn likes about TB? :moon:

132952[/snapback]

I know it's none of my business, and maybe I just didn't keep myself informed, or maybe I forgot. What did Bowden do to Auburn? I know ya'll didn't plan on keeping him long anyway, but what did he do to have to leave mid season. We have too many loose lips over our way, and if we lose a coach(for what ever reason) everyone in the country knows when and why.

132953[/snapback]

It's a long story but essentially he wasn't willing to wait until the end of the season to get his evaluation. So he QUIT with about three games left. Just walked out on his players. TB still says he was fired and he may have been later but he quit before he was fired. Also there were rumors he was having trouble keeping his pants zipped up but I won't go there without facts I don't have.

Well I guess I was the only here that liked the article. It was written well and got the point across.

TB said nothing bad about Auburn...didn't cut us down, he just spoke the truth. Does Tubs have someone above him he can trust? This is the outright truth.

I'm just amazed that they actually let him chill on campus and even attend the practice.

132952[/snapback]

132953[/snapback]

It's a long story but essentially he wasn't willing to wait until the end of the season to get his evaluation. So he QUIT with about three games left. Just walked out on his players. TB still says he was fired and he may have been later but he quit before he was fired. Also there were rumors he was having trouble keeping his pants zipped up but I won't go there without facts I don't have.

132985[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I sort of wondered about that pants thing, because a few months ago he was on Finnebaum, and he just stated without being asked, "I did not have an affair with my secretary". I didn't know if he had been accused of having one, or if he was making fun of Dubose. It was really weird that night. I was driving home from work, and I hear this voice, and I kept saying "who is that?". It was so familiar, but was totally shocked to find out that it was Terry Bowden, and I really don't know why he was on there. Don't you hate when a coach thinks more about the mighty dollar than they do for those guys that came to play for them. Its a shame because those guys look up to their coach.

Wouldn't it be cool to have Terry Bowden and Bill Curry do a game together?  :blink:

132999[/snapback]

Please don't mention Bill Curry. I watched the Southern Miss game the other night, and I just wanted to scream "Bill, Please SHUT UP". He really spoils the game. He just quits watching the action on the field, and talks about himself, and who and what he knows. It's embarrasing, because of course he was another one of our coaches.

Wouldn't it be cool to have Terry Bowden and Bill Curry do a game together?  :blink:

132999[/snapback]

A great pair say the B.... nah even the Bear wouldn't say that :D

As much as I have railed on CTB in the past, he seems to be in our corner this time, and with some kind words could help us out if we take care of business. Maybe we can smooth out some of the bad blood between tb and AU.

OF COURSE, the subject of CTT's near dismaissal is going to come up. It comes up every time someone talks of his success on radio or tv this year.

Well, CTB had his faults, but he did have us in the limelight for awhile. His ordeal is just another example of how AU Administration has "muffed" the ball. IMHO he shouldn't have quit, but if he had stayed, he should have been given another season to turn things around. I'm not sure he would have done so however.

132952[/snapback]

Yeah..20 and OH! :au::P

Archived