Bergdahl To Be Charged With Desertion?

Proud Tiger

So let's put this to rest. Death is not the only punishment directed by the UCMJ. It is very specific. ART. 106a. ESPIONAGE

(A) (1) Any person subject to this chapter who, with intent or reason to believe that it is to be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of a foreign nation, communicates, delivers, or transmits, or attempts to communicate, deliver, or transmit, to any entity described in paragraph (2), either directly or indirectly, any thing described in paragraph (3) shall be punished as a court-martial may direct, except that if the accused is found guilty of an offense that directly concerns (A) nuclear weaponry, military spacecraft or satellites, early warning systems, or other means of defense or retaliation against large scale attack, ( war plans, © communications intelligence or cryptographic information, or (D) any other major weapons system or major element of defense strategy, the accused shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court- martial may direct.

(2) An entity referred to in paragraph (1) is--

(A) a foreign government;

( a faction or party or military force within a foreign country, whether recognized or unrecognized by the United States

© a representative, officer, agent, employee, subject, or citizen of such government, faction, party, or force.

(3) A thing refereed to in paragraph (1) is a document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, note, instrument, appliance or information relating to the national defense.

( (1) No person may be sentenced by court-martial to suffer death for an offense under this section (article) unless--

(A) the members of the court-martial unanimously find at least one of the aggravating factors set out in subsection; and

( the members unanimously determine that any extenuating or mitigating circumstances are substantially outweighed by any aggravating circumstances, including the aggravating factors set out under subsection ©.

(2) Findings under this subsection may be based on--

(A) evidence introduced on the issue of guilt or innocence;

( evidence introduced during the sentencing proceeding; or

all such evidence.

(3) The accused shall be given broad latitude to present matters in extenuation and mitigation.

© A sentence of death may be adjudged by a court-martial for an offense under this section (article) only if the members unanimously find, beyond a reasonable doubt, one or more of the following aggravating factors:

(1) The accused has been convicted of another offense involving espionage or treason for which either a sentence of death or imprisonment for life was authorized by statute.

(2) In the commission of the offense, the accused knowingly created a grave risk of substantial damage to the national security.

(3) In the commission of the offense, the accused knowingly created a grave risk of death to another person.

(4) Any other factor that may be prescribed by the President by regulations under section 836 of this title (Article 36).

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stand correct. Nothing I have said on this subject is wrong. Run along now.........

WT....Double yawn. He can't make a post without an insult. And notice he didn't respond to the fact the Sheffer comments on FOX was also reported by NBC or the report the Army's investigation was completed a good while back.

Is this really about the "emperor"? This YOUNG man VOLUNTEERED to serve and protect our country. Now, whether he could not fulfill that duty because of cowardice or conscience, does he not deserve some consideration and respect? He at least made an effort, an effort that the majority of us did not make. Do you really want to destroy him for the sake of politics? If so, you should be ashamed of yourself.

not for the sake of politics. For the sake of the lives lost and risked as a result of his actions. For the precedence it would set for future soldiers considering the same bailout. I am not military. I am very close to a recently retired person who was involved in the investigation and intelligence on where he was being held. He wouldn't go into details. He did say they had some pretty good chances for a successful rescue but the decision makers didn't feel he was worth risking another life.

Blue....not everyone thought he was guilty. Go back and read the earlier thread on it and see the posts of some right here.

Not exactly. Not everyone assumed he was guilty. At the time there wasn't enough information to think he was.

Once again Fox News lets the Sheeple down: US Army Denies Desertion Charge For Bergdahl: http://news.sky.com/...ge-for-bergdahl

I was just about to say: Reporting on heresay from a retired officer.... Yep, that sounds like Faux News alright. Get it out there, back off later if required.

Is this really about the "emperor"? This YOUNG man VOLUNTEERED to serve and protect our country. Now, whether he could not fulfill that duty because of cowardice or conscience, does he not deserve some consideration and respect? He at least made an effort, an effort that the majority of us did not make. Do you really want to destroy him for the sake of politics? If so, you should be ashamed of yourself.

not for the sake of politics. For the sake of the lives lost and risked as a result of his actions. For the precedence it would set for future soldiers considering the same bailout. I am not military. I am very close to a recently retired person who was involved in the investigation and intelligence on where he was being held. He wouldn't go into details. He did say they had some pretty good chances for a successful rescue but the decision makers didn't feel he was worth risking another life.

I understand and respect your thoughts. I'm not so sure others feel the same way. I think some here do not care what happens to this young man as long as he becomes a symbol of an Obama "failure". I do not want to see that become the basis of his punishment. That would be a travesty.

It's funny how all these patriotic supporters of our military are so quick to assume the worst about this soldier. Anything to pin a mistake on Obama I suppose.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I heard this story was he was suffering from mental illness.

This "young man" stands accused of T R E A S O N !!!!!! Get it?.............

That "perfect love" manifesting itself again? ;D

You would have fit right in at the Salem witch trials.

It's funny how all these patriotic supporters of our military are so quick to assume the worst about this soldier. Anything to pin a mistake on Obama I suppose.

The first thing that crossed my mind when I heard this story was he was suffering from mental illness.

Absolutely agree. There is a obvious hypocrisy on display. It isn't difficult to detect who is more partisan than patriotic. Wrapping yourself in the flag does not make you a patriot.

We've had Sailors purposely jump from our ships in the middle of the ocean. One happened on my ship. In our case the Sailor made sure he was seen jumping. Did we keep going? Nope, we turned a billion dollar warship around and put the lives of our aircrew and rescue swimmers at risk to get this Sailor.

Get it out there, back off later if required.

Sadly, this seems to be the MO of most news organizations these days. And the "if required" really means "if the public has not forgotten about our poor journalistic skills on this story."

Get it out there, back off later if required.

Sadly, this seems to be the MO of most news organizations these days. And the "if required" really means "if the public has not forgotten about our poor journalistic skills on this story."

What I like is the "getting it out there" is always the lead story in broadcasting (front page in print).

But the retraction is always a comment buried in the back pages or briefly noted at the end of the broadcast. ;D

Whether or not Bergdahl volunteered to serve is immaterial. Moreover, the situation also has NOTHING whatsoever to do with politics. It is simply a matter of military law and conduct it deems criminal and will not tolerate. Aside from volunteering for duty, let us not forget he also voluntarily walked off his post looking for the enemy, not to attack, mind you, but to join. he also cost several soldiers in his unit their lives in their search and rescue missions. Is it strictly coincidental that US fatalities increased significantly after his departure? It could be but it very well could be because he taught them how to place and detonate mines to maximize efficiency.

I get it though. Desertion and even treason is evidently viewed as honorable conduct among those who blame America fist for everything. Furthermore, it's not a surprise to see whose arguing to defend what according to the military is indefensible. The DOD, given the facts of this case, had no choice in this matter but to confirm what the evidence proved.

Whether or not Bergdahl volunteered to serve is immaterial. Moreover, the situation also has NOTHING whatsoever to do with politics. It is simply a matter of military law and conduct it deems criminal and will not tolerate. Aside from volunteering for duty, let us not forget he also voluntarily walked off his post looking for the enemy, not to attack, mind you, but to join. he also cost several soldiers in his unit their lives in their search and rescue missions. Is it strictly coincidental that US fatalities increased significantly after his departure? It could be but it very well could be because he taught them how to place and detonate mines to maximize efficiency.

I get it though. Desertion and even treason is evidently viewed as honorable conduct among those who blame America fist for everything. Furthermore, it's not a surprise to see whose arguing to defend what according to the military is indefensible. The DOD, given the facts of this case, had no choice in this matter but to confirm what the evidence proved.

Wow, that's a boatload of supposition...

Wow, that's a boatload of supposition...

You are too kind. Not about politics? Why continue to mention the White House? He is lying.

His own filthy, lying words:

"This administration is such inept negotiators it is absolutely incredible...they trade 5 high level Taliban terrorists for a deserter, then by controlling the message try to cover that horrendous mistake up as they do on every other horrible mistake they make."

It's all politics. Sure Blue, we believe you. :-\/> He has already convicted Bergdahl. It's too politically necessary.

Just for clarification.......The jonestowners want to believe he is innocent and totally dismiss the witness of ALL his fellow soldiers. Now THAT is patriotism!

After a few pages into some threads, I like to look back at the responses. it always seems like some people just want to immediately throw rocks and insults rather than read. The title of my OP was a question, not a statement. Why is it about a question that gets insulting responses?

And I only said what another person said "according his sources." . I didn't say it was fact I also said it "seems" like another mess brewing. And I didn't even mention Obama's name. There are a lot of people in the WH besides him.

Bottonline.....it would behoove some to read before reacting.

Blue....not everyone thought he was guilty. Go back and read the earlier thread on it and see the posts of some right here.

Not exactly. Not everyone assumed he was guilty. At the time there wasn't enough information to think he was.

I never heard anyone who didnt think he was guilty. i dont read every article though. if someone has different info to link.....

What will be the tone of those who say no decision has been made when Bergdahl actually IS charged ?

Archived