Getting a bigger lineup

Ryan Sanders

Looking at who we've got coming in this next season, how are we looking as far as our size? Reed seems to be the only real tall guy - and I'm not sure about him just yet. Hopefully an attitude adjustment and the weight room will help.

We have Horace who is 6'8", but most of our recruits are still on the shorter side. I have no doubts our staff are getting the best players for the team, but just wanted everyone else's thoughts on this matter.

Thompson is 6' 8"

Granger is 6' 7"

Atwe is 6 8" with some meat on him

Reed 7'2"

Purchase 6'8"

Spencer will be 6'8"

Purchase and Reed will have a year to get thicker and stronger. We won't be giants next year but have the potential to have taller players on the floor. Thompson has improved Atwe is experienced real question is what can we get out of Reed, Spencer and Purchase next year.

I agree but unless there is JC center all the good centers have already signed or if we could find a foreign center

Yeah signing a guy just because he's big wouldn't be a great idea either. Hopefully they can mold Reed. I feel like we're 2-3 years away from what we expect from Pearl. But then again, it's much easier to turn a basketball team around than football.

Some size is very nice to have but I want to know who is going to do the scoring next year? Best I can tell we have less than 25 points per game coming back and some of that was accomplished against early season opponents.

And, one would think there is a shooting coach somewhere who could help CB with his FTs....we've left a ton of points on the floor this year (and several wins) by our poor foul shooting. We missed 300 points worth of FTs this year...not to mention the bonus on one-and-one situations...and CB missed over 100 of those.

This year's team is proof IMO, that hard work and effort won't get you but so far....still must have the ability to put points on the board. Would be good for AU to shoot in the range of 45-47% from the field and 75% from FT. That would make a huge difference in the W-L situation.

I"m excited about Purifoy. He had a Kentucky offer and they only offer next level type talent. I haven't seen what kind of style of play he has but perhaps we can be hopeful that he is a key offensive producer for us next season.

Kareem Canty and Purifoy will be scoring, as will Granger and hopefully Lang.

Those guys have not played against SEC defenses...it's tougher than it looks ...ask Mason and TCR-M...and Bowers. As for the last guy (JG)...I wonder if he will make it...very inconsistent.

But, won't be that long will it before we get some idea about who will be playing next year ? Time does move on....or at least it moves on when you are my age. :)

Those guys have not played against SEC defenses...it's tougher than it looks ...ask Mason and TCR-M...and Bowers. As for the last guy (JG)...I wonder if he will make it...very inconsistent.

But, won't be that long will it before we get some idea about who will be playing next year ? Time does move on....or at least it moves on when you are my age. :)/>

Just always heard Kareem Canty was our best player from all aspects. And to be honest, SEC basketball isn't exactly elite. So it's anyone's ball game at this point to step and score for AU. We'll miss KT and Mason but somebody will have to step up. Bruce has this under control.

As far as getting bigger, we will have a lot more size on the court next season. With KT 6-3, Mason 6-1, and Ross-Miller 6-0 on the court we had very little size at the wing, very little rebounding, and no one who could really attack the rim. Next season we will be Canty 6-0/TSD 5-10 at the point, Lang 6-7, Purifoy 6-6, Dunans 6-5, at the wing and then we get Atewe 6-8, Granger 6-8, Thompson 6-8, Bowers 6-7, Reed 7+ all back in the front court and add Spencer 6-8 to that.

We will give up some skill at the guard spot with the loss of KT, but we will put more athetisim and size on the court at the wing positions, and be deeper at the foward spots.

Robert Upshaw is a guy that could improve our team drastically. I don't know his situation (graduating or not) so I don't know if he could play next year. He was dismissed from washington earlier this year.

Robert Upshaw is a guy that could improve our team drastically. I don't know his situation (graduating or not) so I don't know if he could play next year. He was dismissed from washington earlier this year.

He has been kicked off of two teams, I understand second chances, but a third?

But, won't be that long will it before we get some idea about who will be playing next year ? Time does move on....or at least it moves on when you are my age. :)/>

Just always heard Kareem Canty was our best player from all aspects. And to be honest, SEC basketball isn't exactly elite. So it's anyone's ball game at this point to step and score for AU. We'll miss KT and Mason but somebody will have to step up. Bruce has this under control.

Also, Dunans is the top juco shooting guard, if he performs anything close to the way Bowers did, he will help us a great deal.

Getting bigger and deeper will help more than anything. Scoring and shooting is the easiest thing to coach. Improving length for defense will lead to more fast breaks and easier buckets as well

Getting bigger and deeper will help more than anything. Scoring and shooting is the easiest thing to coach. Improving length for defense will lead to more fast breaks and easier buckets as well

So 35-40 games and a full season later and we still have a team full of guys who can't hit 40% from the field and one key player who can't shoot 50% from the FT line....with a couple million dollars worth of coaches.

Might want to explain that to me....'cause I sure don't see any results there and some of those guys have been playing basketball since the 3rd grade.

I've tried to explain it to you but clearly you're going to believe what you believe but an undersized team will have lower percentage shooting on field goals because they have to shoot more jumpers than other teams. I understand you want a good free throw shooting team and that's fine. And as far as playing since third grade it's no different than a kid playing qb, defensive line, we and corner since they were 7 but when they get to college and pros they have to learn how to play with proper technique. Every basketball coach I've played for and also coach Ellis and coach ciampi I've heard say they not worried about teaching shooting it's the easiest thing to correct.

Playing with a thin bench and without a good pg will effect the entire team's shooting percentage as well.

I've tried to explain it to you but clearly you're going to believe what you believe but an undersized team will have lower percentage shooting on field goals because they have to shoot more jumpers than other teams. I understand you want a good free throw shooting team and that's fine. And as far as playing since third grade it's no different than a kid playing qb, defensive line, we and corner since they were 7 but when they get to college and pros they have to learn how to play with proper technique. Every basketball coach I've played for and also coach Ellis and coach ciampi I've heard say they not worried about teaching shooting it's the easiest thing to correct.

Playing with a thin bench and without a good pg will effect the entire team's shooting percentage as well.

Cole it's hard to argue with people who have no Basketball knowledge at all.

Canty will score, Bowers will be improved, Purifoy is a slasher, and Dunans gets buckets. Size wise we will be much bigger at every position and pretty decent as far as normal non-UK SEC teams. The main thing is good PG play which we all hope Tahj can provide if he stays healthy

Canty will score, Bowers will be improved, Purifoy is a slasher, and Dunans gets buckets. Size wise we will be much bigger at every position and pretty decent as far as normal non-UK SEC teams. The main thing is good PG play which we all hope Tahj can provide if he stays healthy

I'd imagine Canty will be playing point more than Taj.

Yep...I notice that....but I keep trying....

• 2 weeks later...

Yep...I notice that....but I keep trying....

We know....you were probably the free throw shooting champ in the 40's so you're the greatest basketball player ever. ....

Archived