Tuberville Would Listen...

lsuj2006

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

Link

Tuberville would listen to LSU pitch

By TONY BARNHART

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/26/04

If LSU officials choose to contact Tommy Tuberville about replacing the departing Nick Saban, the Auburn coach is willing to listen.

A person with direct knowledge of the process told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Sunday that Tuberville's agent, Jimmy Sexton of Memphis, has been given the green light to talk to LSU if the school has any interest.

Saban, who also has Sexton as his agent, announced Saturday that he will leave LSU for the NFL's Miami Dolphins after coaching the Tigers against Iowa in the Jan. 1 Capital One Bowl in Orlando.

The AJC has also learned that a key LSU booster has already contacted Sexton to determine if Tuberville would be interested in coaching at his third different team in the SEC's Western Division. Tuberville was the head coach at Ole Miss from 1995-98 before coming to Auburn in 1999.

Tuberville's team leaves today for New Orleans to prepare for the Jan. 3 Sugar Bowl against Virginia Tech. New Orleans is only 80 miles from the LSU campus in Baton Rouge.

Tuberville was named The Associated Press national coach of the year last week. His Auburn team is 12-0 after winning the school's first outright SEC championship since 1987. As a reward, Auburn has offered Tuberville a new contract that runs seven years and is worth almost $16 million. That contract, however, has not been signed.

But Tuberville may consider an LSU offer, if it comes, because of what happened late in the 2003 season. Auburn was ranked No. 1 by some publications in the preseason that year, but was struggling at 6-5 heading into the final regular-season game with Alabama.

Auburn beat Alabama 28-23 but later it was learned that less than 48 hours before the game, several school officials had flown to Louisville to secretly meet with Cardinal coach Bobby Petrino about replacing Tuberville. That group included school president William Walker, athletics director David Housel and two members of the school's board of trustrees.

The clandestine meeting proved to be a major national embarrassment for Auburn. Tuberville was retained and given a one-year extension to his contract. Walker has since left Auburn and Housel has retired. Jay Jacobs was named Auburn's new athletics director last week.

Tuberville never personally lashed out at those who were trying to oust him at the time. He made some changes on his coaching staff, hiring Al Borges as offensive coordinator, and now the Tigers still have a chance to share the national championship with a win in the Sugar Bowl.

"I learned a lot last year from what we went through at the end of the season," Tuberville said last week. "I've been more relaxed this season."

One of the reasons Nick Saban took the job at LSU in 2000 was because he wanted to be the head coach of the dominant university in a state. At Michigan State, he had fought a difficult battle with Michigan for the state's football hearts and minds.

In just his second year at LSU, Saban won an SEC championship. In his fourth year, he won the BCS national championship. In five years at LSU, Saban won 48 games, the best such stretch in school history.

He leaves the talent cupboard at LSU well-stocked. Each of his last four recruiting classes has been ranked in the nation's top three. A total of 13 true freshmen received playing time on the current 9-2 team.

That kind of opportunity could be interesting to Tuberville, who, by contrast, would be in a rebuilding mode at Auburn next season. The Tigers have a strong senior class of 18 that includes running backs Ronnie Brown and Carnell Williams, plus quarterback Jason Campbell and All-America cornerback Carlos Rogers.

Tuberville, who turned 50 on Sept. 18, is 50-24 in six seasons at Auburn and has either won or shared the SEC Western Division four times.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose a person should never say never.

Having said that, with all of the trash that LSU fans about Tubs, I'd be surprised and VERY disappointed if he were to leave Auburn now. The only thing that gives any creedence to all this is Petrino-gate. I would not have been able to handle that as well as Tubs has to this point.

Guess we'll have to wait and see, eh?

Yeah, I don't know what I think yet. I kinda like the guy.

I just think it would be funny to see. Y'all justified all the cigar band kicker stuff, but it may look different if "Ears" is wearing purple and gold, eh? :P

Yeah, he said he had no interest in :au: when he was at :om: . So, having interest would mean no interest? Opposite day or something? :lol:

Of course he would listen...that means that LSU would waste the time with a pitch which would let Richardson know that Tuberville is a good coach. Anything to up that contract amount...

Sexton may just help TT out by getting a big offer whether it is legit or not but it would be interesting to see if Richardson would up his contract.

Sexton may just help TT out by getting a big offer whether it is legit or not but it would be interesting to see if Richardson would up his contract.

133985[/snapback]

Richardson is a smart man, and I just can't see him letting a coach that just went 12-0 get away. Of course it doesn't hurt that Tubs wants to stay, plus has a hefty buyout that any other school that wanted him would have to deal with.

Keep wishing for a great coach to come to LSU...it wont happen lol.

By the way, I was just offered $50 mil. to replace Saban...my agent, Sexton has said this deal is a for sure go.

"I learned a lot last year from what we went through at the end of the season," Tuberville said last week. "I've been more relaxed this season."

Wow, an article about Tuberville interested in leaving for LSU and the only direct quote from the man himself is he was more relaxed this season.

what do all you lifetime Tub lovers and defenders think about him now? This will do wonders for our redcruiting class.. If it is true.. why would he let it hit the press? If it isn't true.. why has he not come forward immediately to dispell it.

if coach tubs leaves, my attitude toward AU will change.....while i will always be an AU man, i will not be able to muster the enthusiasm that has went with that because of the administration and trustees.....i am weary of the same ole same ole that has haunted us for more years than i can count....my monetary support will stop, along with my keen interest in everyday activities that concern the wellfare of the program.....we finally have a guy that will never embarrass us and is running the program in a class fashion and we have to worry about losing him because of a bunch of self-rightous,know-it-all educated idiots that make up the management department of AU.....i've had enough....i don't blame coach tubs if he leaves......i hope he stays for the next 25 years because lets face the facts,with our bunch of insane administrators, who the hell would come to AU and work under them?....it is now out in the public all over the country about how the athletic department is ran.....ain't no one worth a diddle damn going to come to AU and coach under these conditions.....i thought everything was settled and all were happy and i get up this morning and read all of this stuff about coach tubs and LSwho....i've had enough for one year

LSU says new contracts don't matter:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../412270333/1006

Well, I guess we'll see if CTT is happy with the new AD hire and the BoT and the Pres. and the rest.

He has weathered the storm here, and I hope he stays. If he does, and has a disappointing year or two down the road, I hope we support him rather than start a fire to roast him in. If CTT can't win at AU, nobody can.

You Go Tubs, er, YOU STAY TUBS!!

Reached by phone Sunday night, Tuberville said he remains committed to Auburn but didn't rule out anything.

"I don't understand how these things keep coming up," he said. "We're finishing up a contract with Auburn right now to stay in Auburn for a long time. This is where I want to be."

Asked if he was interested in the LSU job, Tuberville said: "I'm interested in Auburn."

not a denial of interest...

i wonder if tubs is trying to play it differently this time around, given the tremendous amount of flak he took from ole miss fans about his words re/his leaving them.

i have a few observations:

1) is CTT the coach LSU is looking for? as tex asked, do they want him? i'd be surprised if they did.

2) i don't fault tubs for being interested, and for someone who wants to be honest with people, i think these situations are almost impossible to navigate. if you deny interest, and then leave, you're a lying scumbag (a la ole miss). if you admit interest, you're disloyal, kill recruiting, and what if you don't leave? you're left w/ the team you were willing to admit you were thinking of leaving... think of it like your wife.....

i'm beyond being surprised w.r.t. auburn administration & athletics. heaven knows i was surprised by the football team this year. the one thing that will surprise me in all this is if LSU is actually interested in CTT. there would be a sweet irony in that, IMO.

ct

I was very sympathetic to Tubs for his situation when Richardson was taking forever in making his intentions known because of the effect it was having on our team and recruiting. Now, however, I have no sympathy for him because he is bringing this on himself and Auburn. IF recruiting suffers in a year when we could have a banner year, it may be because of Tubs ill-timed effort to get a better contract OR move to another school. Also, wouldn't it be strange if our perfect season was ruined by a bowl defeat that resulted from distracted players? :angry: Will the Crap never end? :puke:

... i would imagine, at this point, that lsu is tired of negotiating with agent sexton. he probably has an apartment in baton rouge. i think lsu goes outside of sexton and finds another coaching candidate.

I was very sympathetic to Tubs for his  situation when Richardson was taking forever in making his intentions known because of the effect it was having on our team and recruiting. Now, however, I have no sympathy for him because he is bringing this on himself and Auburn. IF recruiting suffers in a year when we could have a banner year, it may be because of Tubs ill-timed effort to get a better contract OR move to another school. Also, wouldn't it be strange if our perfect season was ruined by a bowl defeat that resulted from distracted players?  :angry:   Will the Crap never end? :puke:

134010[/snapback]

Then the enemy has won!

As for myself, I am going to NO to watch the MNC Auburn Tigers beat VA Tech!

WAR EAGLE!!! :au::homer::big:

One thing is for sure, our boys DO NOT NEED THIS DISTRACTION!

Va. Tech is a tough team to beat when you're focused, and there's no way this is making it any easier on them.

I feel about like Tombigbeetiger now, I've kind of had enough for one year.

What I don't get is why people think that b/c a coach has 1 good season he will come to your school and have another one just like it. Cause personally I don't think we would have had the same year had CAB had not come to AU. I just don't get it.

if Tubs wants to go Hell Let him go,,,,I would hate to see it my self... But lets keep the real coaches of this University....Hire CAB as head coach and CGC as assistant Head Coach and defensive Cord and we will still be 3 Mill a head for the buy out...I would hate it if Auburn gives him a big raise then we just go 8-3 for the next 3 to 5 years....TUBS PLEASE STAY!!!!!!!!!!!! but if u must go i understand... I would not have put up with what happend last year....

Archived