Auburn vs Alabama Game 3

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I am seeing on the baseball side of Auburn Athletics makes me appreciate all the more what Clint Myers has done for AU softball.

Looks like the team is trying to check off all the boxes for every possible mistake and miss play. Got most of them now with that over-throw of 2nd and the hit batter....and of course several that won't show up on the score sheet.

Just heard where all of AU's position players will return next year. Hopefully a newbie with a power bat can win a position in the offseason.

I don't think Golloway recruits that kind of player.

Amazing....makes a cynic wonder if the team is trying to finish off Sunny's career at AU. Hard to believe they could make so many errors and miss-plays without at least sub-conscious intent.

Another error. The term "mentally weak" is coming into play now.

AU was ill prepared for this weekend. Outplayed every game and in every way. I thought the NCAA bid was wrapped up, but they are limping into the end of the season and the committee will be aware of that. These are 3 bad losses.

Unlike a lot of Auburn fans, I don't throw sugar on it and say wait til week. I say it like it is. Jacobs hire Golloway. What has SG done since becoming AU's coach. I'll tell you.

In 2 years, Sunny Golloway has posted a record of 60-48 overall and 22-35 record in the SEC.

Amazing....makes a cynic wonder if the team is trying to finish off Sunny's career at AU. Hard to believe they could make so many errors and miss-plays without at least sub-conscious intent.

AU went from a "player's coach" to and "old school coach". That's a hard transition for some. He's not going anywhere. I doubt JJ would doo anything until after his contract runs out unless the team really drops off nnext year. The are better (al beit only slighty) than the 2 previous seasons and could still make the NCAAs. If they make the postseason tournament, then I see no reason for Golloway to be let go, even if I don't like his style.

Being ill prepared for this weekend all starts with the head coach.

And the team leaders. There aren't any.

Being ill prepared for this weekend all starts with the head coach.

I will agree with you there. No problem with that assessment. I agree with Jared though on the state of the program. Chances are Golloway makes the postseason this year and his job will be safe (it should be, it's only year two and I'm all for 3 years grace period). The team is improving in record over last year, but with the eye test, is this team that good? I'm not sure. They are inconsistent at best, and I have yet to see a firm foundation laid to build success on. Maybe a postseason berth this season will build it. Meanwhile, even if softball didn't just bring home a trophy, you could tell that program was being turned around immediately into the season last year. There have been no bumps in the road and nothing but steady improvement and unity in the softball dugout.

AU went from a "player's coach" to and "old school coach". That's a hard transition for some. He's not going anywhere. I doubt JJ would doo anything until after his contract runs out unless the team really drops off nnext year. The are better (al beit only slighty) than the 2 previous seasons and could still make the NCAAs. If they make the postseason tournament, then I see no reason for Golloway to be let go, even if I don't like his style.

Except that most of these kids are his recruits.

The total meltdown today was painful to watch. Clearly this team has a long way to go.

The total meltdown today was painful to watch. Clearly this team has a long way to go.

True....and difference with the softball team is that most of the talent was already on campus when Clint arrived and he filled in a few gaps but Coach Deese deserves some credit for bringing in a couple good classes before she left.

The baseball team is almost a totally re-built team....maybe two or 3 starters from last year and no apparent leader as someone noted. Only one reliable hitter (Grier) who suddenly this weekend just went....who knows? and no one else to pick up the slack.

Despite all the guys coming back, I bet there will be several new faces in the starting line-up next year....and hopefully some bigger bats.

Sure hope this performance does not carry over the mid-week game.

As someone who played, coached and managed in this game for 30+ years, I don't like small ball. When you trade bases for outs what you've done is kill the potential for a big inning and big innings are what wins games. Is there a time and place to play for one run? Sure, in the late innings with the score tied or very close. Otherwise, a manager should have enough knowledge of his players to know who can and who cannot place a successful bunt and call it accordingly. There are any number of .250 hitters that are more likely to get a clean single than perform a successful bunt.

We need some hitters.

PS: When a poor bunter fouls off two bunt attempts and then strikes out swinging the K should go against the manager who took the bat out of his hands, not the player who only got one chance to hit the ball hard.

True....and difference with the softball team is that most of the talent was already on campus when Clint arrived and he filled in a few gaps but Coach Deese deserves some credit for bringing in a couple good classes before she left.

The baseball team is almost a totally re-built team....maybe two or 3 starters from last year and no apparent leader as someone noted. Only one reliable hitter (Grier) who suddenly this weekend just went....who knows? and no one else to pick up the slack.

Despite all the guys coming back, I bet there will be several new faces in the starting line-up next year....and hopefully some bigger bats.

Not calling you out at all, but I'm just emphasizing and using the bold to make a point that always happens in the AU baseball cycle. ALWAYS REBUILDING it seems. For me, I just want wins and championships on the board whoever's name is on the Head Coach position, but over the years, this forum is clogged by people with more allegiance to coaches than the program. It happened with Slater and it happened with Pawlowski--there's a pro-coach crowd and an anti-coach crowd. When that coach gets fired, the anti-coach crowd becomes the pro-new coach crowd and vice versa. Then the new coach comes in and always has to rebuild from the bottom.

Auburn has to end this cycle with the baseball program. Pawlowski's last year was one SEC tournament win from a regional from most national pundit's accounts. He doesn't get it done, Golloway comes in and tears everything down and goes another direction. The same thing happened with the talent Slater left and then Pawlowski's tenure started. All of these coaches end up getting enough talent for 1 or 2 years and squeaking AU in a regional to get 1-2 barbecued and then bask in that success until they get fired. Meanwhile, the program flounders in the "just good enough" realm and stays in the bottom half of the SEC. I just want someone who can recruit and get this team to the top with the Vanderbilt's and the Florida's and the LSU's of the conference. I don't care who the heck it is, but regardless Auburn's talent pool right now and for the past years has been inferior to that upper echelon. What's it going to take to change that? And we can debate schollies and recruiting players who get vultured by the draft til we are all blue in the face, but these successful programs are dealing with that too.

Not calling you out at all, but I'm just emphasizing and using the bold to make a point that always happens in the AU baseball cycle. For me, I just want wins and championships on the board whoever's name is on the Head Coach position, but over the years, this forum is clogged by people with more allegiance to coaches than the program. It happened with Slater and it happened with Pawlowski--there's a pro-coach crowd and an anti-coach crowd. When that coach gets fired, the anti-coach crowd becomes the pro-new coach crowd and vice versa. Then the new coach comes in and always has to rebuild from the bottom.

Auburn has to end this cycle with the baseball program. Pawlowski's last year was one SEC tournament win from a regional from most national pundit's accounts. He doesn't get it done, Golloway comes in and tears everything down and goes another direction. The same thing happened with the talent Slater left and then Pawlowski's tenure started. All of these coaches end up getting enough talent for 1 or 2 years and squeaking AU in a regional to get 1-2 barbecued and then bask in that success until they get fired. Meanwhile, the program flounders in the "just good enough" realm and stays in the bottom half of the SEC. I just want someone who can recruit and get this team to the top with the Vanderbilt's and the Florida's and the LSU's of the conference. I don't care who the heck it is, but regardless Auburn's talent pool right now and for the past years has been inferior to that upper echelon. What's it going to take to change that? And we can debate schollies and recruiting players who get vultured by the draft til we are all blue in the face, but these successful programs are dealing with that too.

Some good points but over the past decade or so, the SEC prominence has not been maintained by one team but by different teams over time. Nobody has been able to dominate year in and year out....though some have better over all records, 11 teams have made it over the past 20 years and Vandy not as often as we perceive. But teams like Miss State or UGa and several other show up a few times and are gone.....like South Carolina. The nature of college baseball and the scholarship situation seems to keep teams everywhere from establishing dynasties.

Nice little publicity piece on SEC baseball at this link: http://assets.espn.go.com/SEC/media/2015/2015%20SEC%20Baseball%20Brag%20Sheet.pdf

Extremely dissapointing weekend considering the opponent and how bad they have been playing.

Baseball is becoming more and more geared towards the big man. You see it in the pros and college. You better have 2nd basemen and SS that have some pop in their bat. If AU gets known as a smallball team and philosophy Sunny will never draw the talent required to compete. I was excited about CSG but not seeing a lot of improvement, especially when you watch the girls. Now there is a team that knows how to thump the ball.

From Al.com

Alabama found its offense and rediscovered its confidence as the Tide swept rival Auburn with a decisive 14-4 victory Sunday.

In what can only be termed a meltdown, Auburn allowed eight runs in the ninth inning as errors and miscues buried the Tigers.

The sweep was Alabama's first at Auburn since 1983 and its first against an SEC opponent this season.

Did y'all read that last line? that speaks highly of AU. Sunny hasn't shown he can recruit players that can play in the SEC.

Archived