The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FB_IMG_1435163334415.jpg

There is no comparison between the flag as a symbol of racism and the bible.

The flag was originated as a symbol of white supremacy.

This is a specious comparison - a very weak argument on the part of Mr. Williams.

He also misrepresents the role of blacks fighting for the confederacy. Most who did had no choice or real understanding. It's completely illogical to think otherwise.

Yes. This is such an egregious misrepresentation that I can not understand what motivated him to propose any of it.

Apparently, by his columns, he fancies himself as some sort of social contrarian.

He wouldn't get very far in a debate.

Yes, every symbol of the Nazis should be removed, even the Navajo stuff. It represents Jewish oppression.

It. Is. Not. The. Same.

To Jewish people it is exactly the same. Did you have relatives that were gassed in a chamber?

Put down your red herring and read slowly... It. Is. Not. The. Same. flag3.jpg

Please. If I wanted to divert this thread, I would post something else. The sad thing is that you are so arrogant that you can't see the similarities between the two. I believe the flag should be gone, always have, but the swastika and the rebel flag are symbols of oppression. That is a fact. Was the swastika meant for that purpose? No, and neither was that flag.

Right about the swastika - it was appropriated by the bad guys.

Wrong about the flag. It was obviously meant to represent the Confederacy - or more exactly, the armies thereof - which in turn was based on white supremacy. Ergo, the flag represented the cause of white supremacy. Always has, always will.

AUUSN...I think we get your point. And we're in agreement.

I will stop but I don't think we are all in agreement. If we were, we wouldn't be 40 pages into a topic that should have been settled in one page.

I will stop but I don't think we are all in agreement. If we were, we wouldn't be 40 pages into a topic that should have been settled in one page.

What is the longest political thread up to this point?

Well I for one am old enough to have lived much of the civil rights era first hand, including the time of some of these photos. But apparently photos are needed for some to appreciate just how ingrained the symbolism is.

As a traditional Southerner raised on the "lost cause" myth I resented at the time that it was being "hijacked" by racists. But that's a defense that ultimately rests on that myth which is no defense at all.

While there were undoubtedly some noble aspects of the war, the Confederacy was based on the preservation - and expansion - of slavery. It was the basis for secession.

What is the longest political thread up to this point?

Either the Trayvon Martin thread or the Michael Sam thread. Let me go hunting.

Oh, I know we aren't all in agreement. We as in "you and I" are in agreement. :)

Well I for one am old enough to have lived much of the civil rights era first hand, including the time of some of these photos. But apparently photos are needed for some to appreciate just how ingrained the symbolism is.

As a traditional Southerner raised on the "lost cause" myth I resented at the time that it was being "hijacked" by racists. But that's a defense that ultimately rests on that myth which is no defense at all.

While there were undoubtedly some noble aspects of the war, the Confederacy was based on the preservation - and expansion - of slavery. It was the basis for secession.

what were the noble aspects?

Oh, I know we aren't all in agreement. We as in "you and I" are in agreement. :)/>

yes sir. We certainly are.

How has it not been settled? We aren't the confederacy. The flag came down, and it should have many years ago.

A lot of bammers riled up! Lol. Not only did Gov. Bentley take down one.....he took them all down. Kudos for taking a stand.

While I personally would say take it down.........It is a piece of cloth. Clinton had campaign badges with this flag on it in the early 90's. That flag is flying because the dems in SC made the choice to put it there.......While well meaning folks would REALLY like to see it gone because of the history, make no mistake, this is setting up as the usual political "football" for 2016. JMHO

Yeah, if not for those crazy Dems in SC, that flag wouldn't be there. Any more crazy thoughts?

Can we lock this one down? This grade school ire is certainly not becoming of a true Auburn man or woman. If it must remain, can we at least try and maintain a modicum of class? Stay classy AUFans, stay classy.

what were the noble aspects?

Bravery, self-sacrifice, commitment, even if for a terrible cause.

Can we lock this one down? This grade school ire is certainly not becoming of a true Auburn man or woman. If it must remain, can we at least try and maintain a modicum of class? Stay classy AUFans, stay classy.

I hope you were referring to Tim's post and not TT. What the latter said was perfectly appropriate IMO.

If it gets to the point where we can't call out crazy posts for what they are, this forum will turn into the equivalent of talk radio.

A lot of bammers riled up! Lol. Not only did Gov. Bentley take down one.....he took them all down. Kudos for taking a stand.

Yeah, while there is the odd Auburn fan or two there, the vast majority of the outright dumbasses are Bammers. :laugh:

I hope you were referring to Tim's post and not TT. What the latter said was perfectly appropriate IMO.

If it gets to the point where we can't call out crazy posts for what they are, this forum will turn into the equivalent of talk radio.

Tone trolling lol.

I was speaking to anyone and everyone spewing grade school ire and I did not take into account your perspective of appropriate. It is apparent, class is irrelevant to many.

When you hear and see the grace displayed by the families of these fallen victims and add to that the eloquent statements by Ben Watson, then come here and see this crap! Surely one can understand the plea?

I see no problem calling out post with which you disagree. Is it too much to ask to do so in a classy manner?

I was speaking to anyone and everyone spewing grade school ire and I did not take into account your perspective of appropriate. It is apparent, class is irrelevant to many.

When you hear and see the grace displayed by the families of these fallen victims and add to that the eloquent statements by Ben Watson, then come here and see this crap! Surely one can understand the plea?

I see no problem calling out post with which you disagree. Is it too much to ask to do so in a classy manner?

Still not sure which "crap" you are referring to.

Tone trolling lol.

Ha! I didn't even cue the dog bark. LOL

Still not sure which "crap" you are referring to.

hmmm

Archived