The Cross and the Confederate Flag

TitanTiger

And people wonder why Sunni and Shia can't just get along. Southern Heritage, give me a freaking break.

No kidding, there are people scoffing at others for believing in "southern heritage,"

I believe that what they are scoffing at is, the idea that the rebel flag is an appropriate symbol southern heritage.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And people wonder why Sunni and Shia can't just get along. Southern Heritage, give me a freaking break.

No kidding, there are people scoffing at others for believing in "southern heritage,"

I believe that what they are scoffing at is, the idea that the rebel flag is an appropriate symbol southern heritage.

has been for years. I have t shirts from southern pride and I'm not a racist bigot. Far from it.

jeff....AUUSN scoffs at anything contrary to what he likes. Maybe he doesn't have a heritage of any kind.

has been for years. I have t shirts from southern pride and I'm not a racist bigot. Far from it.

Your view is fine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for you. However, there are others who should be considered. How do you think that flag makes a black American feel? I can only guess but, I believe that if I were black, I would view the rebel flag about like I would someone sticking their middle finger up, and waving it in my face.

Perhaps those who truly view this flag as a symbol of "southern heritage", should have done more to protect it from those who wished to make it a symbol of racism, hatred, and cultural domination of the white race? Perhaps discrimination, violence, and murder weren't compelling enough to motivate those who truly view the flag as a symbol of "southern heritage"?

What good is the belief that Southerners are kinder, more considerate, have more manners and so on if they willfully disregard the feelings of a huge swath of the population on their choice of symbols for Southern heritage, especially when common sense and logic shows how such a symbol cannot be anything other that a symbol of oppression and pain for them? It comes off as little more than a veneer or a 'show' of civility rather than something that is really a part of Southern character.

Your view is fine,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for you. However, there are others who should be considered. How do you think that flag makes a black American feel? I can only guess but, I believe that if I were black, I would view the rebel flag about like I would someone sticking their middle finger up, and waving it in my face.

I don't wear shirts that looks like it came out of the confederate catalog lol. I do wear shirts from southern proper. If I was wearing a confederate flag shirt, I would expect the African American to refrain from infringing on my right to wear it. The tee shirt is not "fighting words" so I could wear it if I wanted. I'm not taking their shirts off their backs. I expect the same in return.

But no one is proposing that your silly confederate flag shirts be outlawed or that you be forced to not wear them. It is being asked of you that you choose not to wear them and find a different symbol to celebrate your Southern pride and heritage because of how the Confederate flag is logically viewed by your black friends and neighbors.

What good is the belief that Southerners are kinder, more considerate, have more manners and so on if they willfully disregard the feelings of a huge swath of the population on their choice of symbols for Southern heritage, especially when common sense and logic shows how such a symbol cannot be anything other that a symbol of oppression and pain for them? It comes off as little more than a veneer or a 'show' of civility rather than something that is really a part of Southern character.

I couldn't care less if the yankees thought we were meaner than yard dogs.

I don't wear shirts that looks like it came out of the confederate catalog lol. I do wear shirts from southern proper. If I was wearing a confederate flag shirt, I would expect the African American to refrain from infringing on my right to wear it. The tee shirt is not "fighting words" so I could wear it if I wanted. I'm not taking their shirts off their backs. I expect the same in return.

Make no mistake, I am not questioning your right to wear the flag on a tee shirt. I am questioning your reasoning, judgement, and character.

I wasn't commenting on what Yankees think about us. I was commenting on what we proclaim to be versus what stubbornly clinging to a symbol of such pain and division shows us to actually be.

I wasn't commenting on what Yankees think about us. I was commenting on what we proclaim to be versus what stubbornly clinging to a symbol of such pain and division shows us to actually be.

I never claimed to that. Don't you put words in my mouth.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I simply corrected you on the point I was making.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. I simply corrected you on the point I was making.

if that's what you call it. Ok

It's not "what I call it", it's "what it objectively is."

The statement is clearly defining his own words. You are wrong.

You are over the place with this so called objectivity that you are speaking from.

you are over the place with this so called objectivity that you are speaking from

No, you just have a problem with reading comprehension. I said zilch about how Yankees or any other outsider viewed us. I simply pointed out what Southerners typically portray themselves as, or how we see ourselves versus what our refusal to consider the feelings of others really says about who we are and our view of ourselves.

This really wasn't that hard to follow.

Just remember, if you have to resort to juvenile reading comprehension cut downs, you were probably just schooled. Class dismissed, you are too mod...

Just remember, if you have to resort to juvenile reading comprehension cut downs, you were probably just schooled. Class dismissed, you are too mod...

I'm simply breaking it down as simply as I can for you. If you can't grasp from the original post, as well as the subsequent more detailed explanations of the point I was making, then I can only conclude that your don't comprehend the things you read very well. I suppose the alternative is that you frequently read your own thoughts into it and refuse to let go of those erroneous interpretations even when corrected. But either way, the issue is you.

I'm simply breaking it down as simply as I can for you. If you can't grasp from the original post, as well as the subsequent more detailed explanations of the point I was making, then I can only conclude that your don't comprehend the things you read very well. I suppose the alternative is that you frequently read your own thoughts into it and refuse to let go of those erroneous interpretations even when corrected. But either way, the issue is you.

Your points you have been making are absurd. Sorry I don't think like you do. I don't care if we are kinder, if we claim to be kinder, or if we in fact don't make the best sweet tea on this green earth. I will continue to wear southern heritage shirts from Martins, southern proper, anything with a flag already on it. It is my right to wear it, so I will. If it offends the Black Americans, I can't help it.

Your points you have been making are absurd. Sorry I don't think like you do. I don't care if we are kinder, if we claim to be kinder, or if we in fact don't make the best sweet tea on this green earth. I will continue to wear southern heritage shirts from Martins, southern proper, anything with a flag already on it. It is my right to wear it, so I will. If it offends the Black Americans, I can't help it.

The points I have been making are completely sound. That you are some fringe exception to the general view that Southerners believe about themselves or that they project to others is another matter. But I never said one word about what others think of us, which was where you got off base. I corrected you and you persisted in this error. Simple as that. Glad we understand each other.

The points I have been making are completely sound. That you are some fringe exception to the general view that Southerners believe about themselves or that they project to others is another matter. But I never said one word about what others think of us, which was where you got off base. I corrected you and you persisted in this error. Simple as that. Glad we understand each other.

I'm on my phone and I can't quote stuff. Clarify your second sentence

I'm on my phone and I can't quote stuff. Clarify your second sentence

Ok. What I have been saying is that Southerners generally view themselves as kinder, more polite, more considerate, better mannered, etc. than other areas of the country. I don't think anyone would really dispute that this is a generally accepted understanding of how Southerners see themselves. But your statement that says "I don't care if we are kinder, if we claim to be kinder, or if we in fact don't make the best sweet tea on this green earth" apparently makes you a part of a very small exception to the generally prevailing view Southerners have of themselves. You apparently don't hold such ideals of Southern people.

Actually, I suspect blacks want for you to have the right to wear it. I certainly do.

Makes it easier for us to identify you.

Archived