Game #2 Postgame Numbers & Notes

StatTiger

Has anyone looked at the 1st half of last-year's Arky game to see if JJ progressed through his reads?

I have never seen the entire game. I have watched the highlights.

Watch his head. Watch his feet. What do you see?

He stared his receiver down the whole way. Only saw him go to his second guy once. The reason he lit it up against Arky is because no one had film on him.

They watched his tape and picked up on that. He decides who he is throwing to......no matter what pretty much every time. Same with the other games last year.

OK.

No film? What about

?
?

What were the main factors, do you think, that made these plays work?

What do you now expect to see more of against LSU on Saturday?

In what ways do you think JJ has improved over the last 2 years at AU?

So my questions (and not meant to disrespect what you all have analyzed here), but if you can see the film on JJ and determine this, and we figure opposing defenses have done similar, then why haven't our coaches seen the same, and worked something to change/prevent this? Or is that part of the GUS genius (in another post) that he is setting up future teams to review the films, see the tendencies and then switch then for success?

Actually, I have no idea what to make of it. I assume what you've assumed. That an opposing team would view the films, find flaws and exploit those flaws, and that his own team would view the films and minimize those same tendencies.

What's gnawing at me right now is the preposterous thought that nobody at AU really looked at JJ's films for 'tells' and bad habits and so never coached them out of him. I've been racking my brain since the Louisville game trying to make sense of JJ having 2 years of tutelage at AU and playing exactly as he did in high school - right down to the footwork in this

Earlier, I scoffed at the Gus is a genius playing 'possum theory, but my alternative scenario is too painful to contemplate...

What do you think?

Has anyone looked at the 1st half of last-year's Arky game to see if JJ progressed through his reads?

I see a fair number of progressions from a first to second read. I also see the short route being the first read.

The short route as a first read seems like a safer, more conservative approach a coach would use with a younger QB. A deep route first read followed by an underneath second read seems like an approach one would use with an experienced QB.

As for locking onto receivers, in some cases that may have been the first read, and others it may have been a play with only one pass option. For example, the TD to Melvin Ray in the Arky game was a run-pass option and the only receiver was Ray. It was the same play used for the Marshall to Coates tying touchdown against Bama in 2013.

I think my question is answered. We used a simpler passing game for JJ in the 2014 Arky game. We have a true three read progression passing game now, and JJ is not making it past his second read.

Simplify the passing game for now. Force JJ to work through his progressions in practice.

He stared his receiver down the whole way. Only saw him go to his second guy once. The reason he lit it up against Arky is because no one had film on him.

They watched his tape and picked up on that. He decides who he is throwing to......no matter what pretty much every time. Same with the other games last year.

OK.

No film? What about

?
?

So my questions (and not meant to disrespect what you all have analyzed here), but if you can see the film on JJ and determine this, and we figure opposing defenses have done similar, then why haven't our coaches seen the same, and worked something to change/prevent this? Or is that part of the GUS genius (in another post) that he is setting up future teams to review the films, see the tendencies and then switch then for success?

Actually, I have no idea what to make of it. I assume what you've assumed. That an opposing team would view the films, find flaws and exploit those flaws, and that his own team would view the films and minimize those same tendencies.

What's gnawing at me right now is the preposterous thought that nobody at AU really looked at JJ's films for 'tells' and bad habits and so never coached them out of him. I've been racking my brain since the Louisville game trying to make sense of JJ having 2 years of tutelage at AU and playing exactly as he did in high school - right down to the footwork in this

Earlier, I scoffed at the Gus is a genius playing 'possum theory, but my alternative scenario is too painful to contemplate...

What do you think?

I agree.

Everything starts with fundamentals. It's inconceivable that he's had inadequate coaching in them.

I see a fair number of progressions from a first to second read. I also see the short route being the first read.

The short route as a first read seems like a safer, more conservative approach a coach would use with a younger QB. A deep route first read followed by an underneath second read seems like an approach one would use with an experienced QB.

As for locking onto receivers, in some cases that may have been the first read, and others it may have been a play with only one pass option. For example, the TD to Melvin Ray in the Arky game was a run-pass option and the only receiver was Ray. It was the same play used for the Marshall to Coates tying touchdown against Bama in 2013.

I think my question is answered. We used a simpler passing game for JJ in the 2014 Arky game. We have a true three read progression passing game now, and JJ is not making it past his second read.

Simplify the passing game for now. Force JJ to work through his progressions in practice.

Determining the best combo of progressions. Is that something that's generally determined by the QB's abilities and made pretty static in the playbook or are progressions changed to suit opposing defensive tendencies?

Do you think the coaches have been tweaking the routes/progressions to accommodate JJ and maybe that's why the passing timing sometimes seems way off?

OK.

No film? What about

?
?

What do you think?

I agree.

Everything starts with fundamentals. It's inconceivable that he's had inadequate coaching in them.

If only we had someone on our staff who not only had first hand experience at what it takes to be a successful QB at AU but also had experience at turning QBs into first round picks. Anyone have any idea where we could find a guy like that?

If only we had someone on our staff who not only had first hand experience at what it takes to be a successful QB at AU but also had experience at turning QBs into first round picks. Anyone have any idea where we could find a guy like that?

Heh. I know exactly what you mean. It's really kind of amazing that it took only one season of practice and play for Gus & crew to mold poorly-coached-at-UF Cam Newton into NFL gold.

I expect AU QB play will be much better against actual SEC teams now that Gus can quit playing 'possum and breakout the playbook. :hellyeah:

Heh. I know exactly what you mean. It's really kind of amazing that it took only one season of practice and play for Gus & crew to mold poorly-coached-at-UF Cam Newton into NFL gold.

I expect AU QB play will be much better against actual SEC teams now that Gus can quit playing 'possum and breakout the playbook. :hellyeah:

Trust you are making a sarcasm....because everyone knows that the NFL considered Cam to be poorly coached in QB fundamentals and the Panthers have spent lots of time and money helping him overcome a number of basic problems...throwing off his back foot, running before he goes through his progressions....what some have described as a "makeover".

Just sayin', AU could be doing a lot more to help our young QB prospects develop their skills....especially the pro-style QBs like JJ..

Trust you are making a sarcasm....because everyone knows that the NFL considered Cam to be poorly coached in QB fundamentals and the Panthers have spent lots of time and money helping him overcome a number of basic problems...throwing off his back foot, running before he goes through his progressions....what some have described as a "makeover".

Just sayin', AU could be doing a lot more to help our young QB prospects develop their skills....especially the pro-style QBs like JJ..

;) I couldn't tell if A-jam's post was for real...

You speak Cam truth.

As you can glean from my posts above, I tend toward the belief that greater emphasis on QB development at AU should be a priority. I'm trying to temper that by soliciting others' views. I find the thoughts from those who've actually taken snaps to be most helpful.

I expect AU QB play will be much better against actual SEC teams now that Gus can quit playing 'possum and breakout the playbook. :hellyeah:/>

;)/> I couldn't tell if A-jam's post was for real...

You speak Cam truth.

As you can glean from my posts above, I tend toward the belief that greater emphasis on QB development at AU should be a priority. I'm trying to temper that by soliciting others' views. I find the thoughts from those who've actually taken snaps to be most helpful.

Yeah, I was actually alluding to Coach Craig.

I expect AU QB play will be much better against actual SEC teams now that Gus can quit playing 'possum and breakout the playbook. :hellyeah:/>

You mean the same thing they say about EVERY mobile qb that's drafted?

Most teams get better from game 1 to game 2 because they fix things between games. Auburn got worse in that same time frame.

OK. I am no longer sunshine pumping. I am just playing devils advocate. When this saying was true you started the season with JSU and then played a real game the second week. Now it may have been a good thing we didn't play JSU first, but when the old coaches said this, you played UTC (Chattanooga) first and UT second. Like the Amazins. By the way, we beat them with a late field goal and were huge underdogs against UT. OK, a small bit of sunshine pumping

You speak Cam truth.

The way things have been playing out, looks he and JJ don't talk much...

You speak Cam truth.

Dameyune, unfortunately, isn't paid to work with QBs.

Really, really unfortunate.

Really.

You speak Cam truth.

Dameyune, unfortunately, isn't paid to work with QBs.

Really, really unfortunate.

Really.

Well, in all fairness, it would be difficult for Coach Craig, former QB coach at FSU - where they are actually well known for their QBs - to fill that position when the current QB coach - a back-up QB in college - has been epoxied to Gus' ass since high school.

Archived