***Auburn vs. San Jose State - Post Game Thread***

alexava

Well...I'm going to try and be as positive as possible. I have very little faith in gutless, nutless Gus at the point. Our line backers look as lost as ever. Sean White did great, but he was basically a game manager so...Arkansas will get at least one SEC win this year. Peyton Barber is basically the second coming of Tre Mason. Guy knew what he was talking about. All in all, our offensive line consistently takes a full half to get warmed up and our d-line looks like it would get pushed around by Girl Scouts. That and no one can shed blocks, though there did seem to be some improvement in that area. I feel like I'm used to us sucking at this point. Basically, I feel like a Vanderbilt fan. WDE

You should go be one for a while and see what that is like. I am going to choose to wait to lose faith in "gutless, nutless Gus" until the season has played out. Of course I wanted him to go for it but assuming Carlson makes a chip shot field goal the game would have been over. I think it might be less gutless to make decisions based on what the peanut gallery wants. He is trying to win games. Not an ideal situation but if they can get the W against Kentucky we could still salvage a decent season. Let's see what he comes up with over the bye. WDE

Yeah, except I cannot fathom a reason to not go for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like common sense to me to go for it.

He didnt go for it to send a message to the offense and offensive line- you cant get a first down on 1st-3rd downs you dont deserve another shot on fourth.

No offense, but that's just stupid. We're not in a position to do that, and I've never heard of a coach doing that. We had trouble stopping them all game long, and you're telling me that Gus felt that that was the perfect time to send a message to his team? I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything about football, but....really?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...I'm going to try and be as positive as possible. I have very little faith in gutless, nutless Gus at the point. Our line backers look as lost as ever. Sean White did great, but he was basically a game manager so...Arkansas will get at least one SEC win this year. Peyton Barber is basically the second coming of Tre Mason. Guy knew what he was talking about. All in all, our offensive line consistently takes a full half to get warmed up and our d-line looks like it would get pushed around by Girl Scouts. That and no one can shed blocks, though there did seem to be some improvement in that area. I feel like I'm used to us sucking at this point. Basically, I feel like a Vanderbilt fan. WDE

You should go be one for a while and see what that is like. I am going to choose to wait to lose faith in "gutless, nutless Gus" until the season has played out. Of course I wanted him to go for it but assuming Carlson makes a chip shot field goal the game would have been over. I think it might be less gutless to make decisions based on what the peanut gallery wants. He is trying to win games. Not an ideal situation but if they can get the W against Kentucky we could still salvage a decent season. Let's see what he comes up with over the bye. WDE

Yeah, except I cannot fathom a reason to not go for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like common sense to me to go for it.

He didnt go for it to send a message to the offense and offensive line- you cant get a first down on 1st-3rd downs you dont deserve another shot on fourth.

That's completely ridiculous and you don't know that.

He didn't go for it because he didn't think we could make it. If he did he would have. Seems pretty straightforward.

^This

He didn't go for it because he didn't think we could make it. If he did he would have. Seems pretty straightforward.

^This

I was watching on tv and they showed CGM on the sideline when he sent out the fg unit and he said, kick the fg and go up by 17. That was his thought process or at least that is what he said.

^This

Probably true...but if he wanted to send a "message" perhaps...he would have said...."You guys can do this" now go out there and score that TD and put this game away.

Not sure if already posted but obviously dissent between Gus and Rhett going on. After SW missed Louis in the end zone (when RL stopped on his route) Gus jumped Rhett's ass. Rhett was yelling back at Gus indicating it was SWs fault. SW went back up to Rhett after getting yelled at and apologized. Rhett spent the rest of the game in isolation. DC was the one meeting with the O the majority of the time and with Gus as well. After that point, I think Gud started getting involved in play calling. We went with less subs and more tempo during that time, but we also still stalled in the red zone in the 4th as well.

Not sure if already posted but obviously dissent between Gus and Rhett going on. After SW missed Louis in the end zone (when RL stopped on his route) Gus jumped Rhett's ass. Rhett was yelling back and Gus indicating it was SWs fault. SW went back up to Rhett after getting yelled at and apologized. Rhett spent the rest of the game in isolation. DC was the one meeting with the Onthe majority ofnthentime and with Gus as well. After that point, I think started getting involved in play calling. We went with less Suns and more tempo during that time, but we also still stalled in the red zone in the 4th as well.

Arguments between coaches on the sidelines is common in football....college and professional. We see that stuff all the time with NS badgering his DC and OC when something bad happens....so I don't read anything much into it. Not to say I like the play calling, but I doubt that the differences of opinion are the issue.

Not sure if already posted but obviously dissent between Gus and Rhett going on. After SW missed Louis in the end zone (when RL stopped on his route) Gus jumped Rhett's ass. Rhett was yelling back at Gus indicating it was SWs fault. SW went back up to Rhett after getting yelled at and apologized. Rhett spent the rest of the game in isolation. DC was the one meeting with the O the majority of the time and with Gus as well. After that point, I think Gud started getting involved in play calling. We went with less subs and more tempo during that time, but we also still stalled in the red zone in the 4th as well.

Stuff like that happens. However, it's even more reason for Gus just to take over the offense if he's not doing so already. We hired the professor....not his student.

Not sure if already posted but obviously dissent between Gus and Rhett going on. After SW missed Louis in the end zone (when RL stopped on his route) Gus jumped Rhett's ass. Rhett was yelling back and Gus indicating it was SWs fault. SW went back up to Rhett after getting yelled at and apologized. Rhett spent the rest of the game in isolation. DC was the one meeting with the Onthe majority ofnthentime and with Gus as well. After that point, I think started getting involved in play calling. We went with less Suns and more tempo during that time, but we also still stalled in the red zone in the 4th as well.

Arguments between coaches on the sidelines is common in football....college and professional. We see that stuff all the time with NS badgering his DC and OC when something bad happens....so I don't read anything much into it. Not to say I like the play calling, but I doubt that the differences of opinion are the issue.

Agree but those scenarios typically end with the coordinator continuing to do their job. It looked like Rhett quit after that and DC was assuming the role. I sat right behind the bench and watched the whole game. It was a completely different feel after that.

Agree but those scenarios typically end with the coordinator continuing to do their job. It looked like Rhett quit after that and DC was assuming the role. I sat right behind the bench and watched the whole game. It was a completely different feel after that.

Hmmm ...

Start whoever you want, the end result isn't going to change much. We're going to have to upset Kentucky for a 5th win. A 6th win is damn near impossible. I literally can't fathom the amount of change it'd take for us to beat any of the good teams we have scheduled

Arky, Ole Miss, Bama, TX A&M, UGA....anybody see a win in that group. Lord help us!

Nope not even close except maybe Arky and that's a big maybe

Start whoever you want, the end result isn't going to change much. We're going to have to upset Kentucky for a 5th win. A 6th win is damn near impossible. I literally can't fathom the amount of change it'd take for us to beat any of the good teams we have scheduled

Arky, Ole Miss, Bama, TX A&M, UGA....anybody see a win in that group. Lord help us!

Well...at least we still have Idaho to play.

thank goodness

This is depressing

For real? :o

To be honest, I felt the same way about Duke. DC was earning his pay on the sidelines just keeping him interested. I was shocked to see Duke so happy after recovering the on side kick.

^This

Probably true...but if he wanted to send a "message" perhaps...he would have said...."You guys can do this" now go out there and score that TD and put this game away.

Gus still thinks field goal. I thought maybe he had learned his lesson after the State game. We won't beat any SEC team with field goals especially with our defense giving up sevens. If we can't make 1/2 yard in two plays we don't deserve to beat anyone. (QB under center or KJ wildcat. Pretty simple.) I'd be embarrassed as a coach to have so little confidence in my team. Playing not to lose is also the best way to lose.

^This

With the way Roc and Barber were running, I don't believe for a second one of them couldn't gain one yard. Try again.

We are are very dysfunctional team right now and I do not see us correcting it soon. Actually its almost to late to correct it at this time of the season

We are are very dysfunctional team right now and I do not see us correcting it soon. Actually its almost to late to correct it at this time of the season

In your opinion, how bad is it?

^This

With the way Roc and Barber were running, I don't believe for a second one of them couldn't gain one yard. Try again.

Apparently Gus did

In your opinion, how bad is it?

Sorry but I think its bad not saying it can't be fixed but at this stage of the season and with the schedule we have for the rest of the year. imo it ain't going to be pretty

Archived