***Auburn vs. San Jose State - Post Game Thread***

alexava

I've never heard of half these posters. Time to pile on?

Interesting game subplots: switching away to commercial, the TV caught Gus giving Rhett the look Gus gave Chizik when the TV caught Gene ordering Gus to kick a field goal - shortly before they parted ways.

Our exit from the locker room before the game looked like somebody had died.

It's the little things too...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how anyone can watch this and not think our team is awful -- and that something is deeply wrong.

We couldn't run effectively against the Mountain West's worst run defense until late in the fourth quarter. We couldn't stop San Jose State from running the ball down our throats. We could not dominate them on the goal line. If Gus is calling plays well, that means we have nothing to go to.

I noticed one play in which we sent Barber out wide and nobody followed him, knowing we'd call him back to the backfield. They didn't even adjust to the threat.

We will be favored against Idaho and no one else. Since we were 7-1 last year, we've been no better than #12 in the SEC.

I'm not calling for a coaching change. Yet. But Tom Herman's agent should know to wait a minute after the season, is all I'm sayin.

Jason Smith needs to be starting at QB. All we need him to do is be an average thrower. This offense doesn't work unless the defense respects our QBs running the ball off the zone read. Period.

I don't recall Chris Tods being a runner

I don't recall Gus or this team being as bad in 2009

Good point. I said i was for Jason at QB if it didn't work out with Sean but heck we're not even giving Sean a chance to see what he really can do.

Start whoever you want, the end result isn't going to change much. We're going to have to upset Kentucky for a 5th win. A 6th win is damn near impossible. I literally can't fathom the amount of change it'd take for us to beat any of the good teams we have scheduled

Arky, Ole Miss, Bama, TX A&M, UGA....anybody see a win in that group. Lord help us!

Jason Smith needs to be starting at QB. All we need him to do is be an average thrower. This offense doesn't work unless the defense respects our QBs running the ball off the zone read. Period.

Good point. I said i was for Jason at QB if it didn't work out with Sean but heck we're not even giving Sean a chance to see what he really can do.

That's my biggest question....why did Gus have the handcuffs on SW?

And....still seems like our first down production was awful....guess Stat will have the gruesome details before much longer.

That's my biggest question....why did Gus have the handcuffs on SW?

Same question i have brother. We sure as h3ll can't handcuff him against teams we're about to play. The game will be over before it starts with these teams.

Start whoever you want, the end result isn't going to change much. We're going to have to upset Kentucky for a 5th win. A 6th win is damn near impossible. I literally can't fathom the amount of change it'd take for us to beat any of the good teams we have scheduled

Arky, Ole Miss, Bama, TX A&M, UGA....anybody see a win in that group. Lord help us!

OM and aTm will drop 40 on us easy. Updyke and UGA will both curb stomp us. I think we beat Arky in an ugly game though.

Gus is probably the most conservative coach in the SEC. Even Georgia was willing to switch it up to try something different. Gus has a 3-2 team that's walking into its death right now if he doesn't sit down and just say "forget it" and throws the kitchen sink out EVERY game. Every play we practice, we throw it out there. We're not better than a single team we play outside of Idaho, so we need to go into every game like it's the biggest win OF OUR SEASON.

Actually I do see a few wins that aren't miracles. Kentucky, Idaho, Arkansas, Alabama A&M, Georgia if they keep playing like that, Ole Miss if they keep playing like this, and with Carl Lawson and some growth at QB Alabama is quite possible. Call me what you want but I'm not saying die.

I'm very concerned. I see a lot of issues. But I'd rather see the positive possibilities than say something just so I can say "I told you so"

Actually I do see a few wins that aren't miracles. Kentucky, Idaho, Arkansas, Alabama A&M, Georgia if they keep playing like that, Ole Miss if they keep playing like this, and with Carl Lawson and some growth at QB Alabama is quite possible. Call me what you want but I'm not saying die.

I'm very concerned. I see a lot of issues. But I'd rather see the positive possibilities than say something just so I can say "I told you so"

Yo....we're playing Texas A&M

And they put up 17 in one half on the team we put 9 on in an entire game

Disappointing performance, pessimists saying we won't even beat Idaho, optimists saying there's still a chance we win out, Malzahn with another vague post game pressed after suspect offensive play calling performance again.... Same old same old

Gus is probably the most conservative coach in the SEC. Even Georgia was willing to switch it up to try something different. Gus has a 3-2 team that's walking into its death right now if he doesn't sit down and just say "forget it" and throws the kitchen sink out EVERY game. Every play we practice, we throw it out there. We're not better than a single team we play outside of Idaho, so we need to go into every game like it's the biggest win OF OUR SEASON.

what is wrong with letting the QB be comfortable and get used to the position instead of forcing something?

I'm starting to think it's illegal to throw on first down if you play for Auburn.

It seems a young QB would get a better defense to throw against on 1st down. I personally think 1st down on both sides of the ball is KILLING us. Especially on "D". Second and 2 opens up the opponents entire playbook, and that is difficult for a good defense to defend.

Yo....we're playing Texas A&M

And they put up 17 in one half on the team we put 9 on in an entire game

:laugh:

I know we won't win out but I don't see what's so wrong with seeing the possibly to win. I maintain Ole Miss is a better team than Florida but they're sure whooping that ass.

Well...I'm going to try and be as positive as possible. I have very little faith in gutless, nutless Gus at the point. Our line backers look as lost as ever. Sean White did great, but he was basically a game manager so...Arkansas will get at least one SEC win this year. Peyton Barber is basically the second coming of Tre Mason. Guy knew what he was talking about. All in all, our offensive line consistently takes a full half to get warmed up and our d-line looks like it would get pushed around by Girl Scouts. That and no one can shed blocks, though there did seem to be some improvement in that area. I feel like I'm used to us sucking at this point. Basically, I feel like a Vanderbilt fan. WDE

You should go be one for a while and see what that is like. I am going to choose to wait to lose faith in "gutless, nutless Gus" until the season has played out. Of course I wanted him to go for it but assuming Carlson makes a chip shot field goal the game would have been over. I think it might be less gutless to make decisions based on what the peanut gallery wants. He is trying to win games. Not an ideal situation but if they can get the W against Kentucky we could still salvage a decent season. Let's see what he comes up with over the bye. WDE

Yeah, except I cannot fathom a reason to not go for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like common sense to me to go for it.

He didnt go for it to send a message to the offense and offensive line- you cant get a first down on 1st-3rd downs you dont deserve another shot on fourth.

I've never heard of half these posters. Time to pile on?

Interesting game subplots: switching away to commercial, the TV caught Gus giving Rhett the look Gus gave Chizik when the TV caught Gene ordering Gus to kick a field goal - shortly before they parted ways.

Our exit from the locker room before the game looked like somebody had died.

It's the little things too...

. I Have noticed this too. When they come out of the tunnel, there is no fire in them.

That's what i like about the Ol Ball Coach, Grass eating Les Miles and Hugh Freeze. They're like frick it...let's try anything! We play not to lose..even when we were on our runs to the national championships. I don't know what's going on with this team and/or staff but we need to find some answers quick.

I'm starting to think it's illegal to throw on first down if you play for Auburn.

It seems a young QB would get a better defense to throw against on 1st down. I personally think 1st down on both sides of the ball is KILLING us. Especially on "D". Second and 2 opens up the opponents entire playbook, and that is difficult for a good defense to defend.

Problem is...teams now we're going to run it on 1st down 9 out to 10 times and usually those 9 times are runs up the middle. It would be nice to get to 2nd and short but when you have wasted plays it kills you. We're way too predictable. 1st down....run up the middle...2nd down...sweep...3rd down...3rd and 10-12 yards and we throw a pass 20+ yards down the field. We should be worshiping Peyton Barber. He's getting a lot of yard after the point of contact...just sure will.

Well...I'm going to try and be as positive as possible. I have very little faith in gutless, nutless Gus at the point. Our line backers look as lost as ever. Sean White did great, but he was basically a game manager so...Arkansas will get at least one SEC win this year. Peyton Barber is basically the second coming of Tre Mason. Guy knew what he was talking about. All in all, our offensive line consistently takes a full half to get warmed up and our d-line looks like it would get pushed around by Girl Scouts. That and no one can shed blocks, though there did seem to be some improvement in that area. I feel like I'm used to us sucking at this point. Basically, I feel like a Vanderbilt fan. WDE

You should go be one for a while and see what that is like. I am going to choose to wait to lose faith in "gutless, nutless Gus" until the season has played out. Of course I wanted him to go for it but assuming Carlson makes a chip shot field goal the game would have been over. I think it might be less gutless to make decisions based on what the peanut gallery wants. He is trying to win games. Not an ideal situation but if they can get the W against Kentucky we could still salvage a decent season. Let's see what he comes up with over the bye. WDE

Yeah, except I cannot fathom a reason to not go for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like common sense to me to go for it.

He didnt go for it to send a message to the offense and offensive line- you cant get a first down on 1st-3rd downs you dont deserve another shot on fourth.

You are just quoting one of the idiots calling the game on SEC.....makes no sense. When you run the plays Gus was calling, it almost guaranteed the team was going to need 4 downs to make the yardage.

Archived