What is Malzahn's Offense?

AubTiger14

I see failures of execution. If the players were executing 25% better we'd be 4-1 and more competitive (offensively) in the loss we had. Instead we have some head spinning going on with young players or players playing new positions on the O line along wth a lazy star receiver who needs to ride the pine.....

Lol. Did you go out yesterday and by his book or something?

In all seriousness, I personally think execution and personnel are the problems. For instance, I definitely agree that our wide receivers aren't blocking nearly as well as they should, and it frustrates me to no end to see opposing receivers block the mess out of our dbs. Not to mention we SEEM to have a lack of a deep threat guy like ole Sammy. Having said that, I have started wondering for a while now if DCs everywhere have finally trained their players to be disciplined and ignore the eye candy, which, I would think, does a great deal of harm to Gus's offense. If that is the case, then my question is where do we go from here?

That is where tempo becomes important. Hurrying into formation gives you the benefit of seeing the defense, but it also gives the defense the benefit of seeing you. Of course, execution is critical regardless of how fast you are operating an offense, and execution has certainly been lacking. That said, opposing DC's knew half-way through 2013 what Auburn was going to do, but that did not help any of them stop it consistently. FSU's DC had a month to focus on Auburn exclusively, and they still gave up 450 yards and 31 points.

Some say that Gus' offense requires a dual-threat QB, and I disagree. I think it can get away with being mostly one-dimensional with a dual-threat QB, a great RB, good tempo, and good execution. In the absence of a dual-threat QB or a great RB, I think it needs a good quick passing game, and that is what everyone was expecting it to have. In other words, without a dual-threat QB, Gus' offense should look more like Texas A&M's than 2013 Auburn.

In all seriousness, I personally think execution and personnel are the problems. For instance, I definitely agree that our wide receivers aren't blocking nearly as well as they should, and it frustrates me to no end to see opposing receivers block the mess out of our dbs. Not to mention we SEEM to have a lack of a deep threat guy like ole Sammy. Having said that, I have started wondering for a while now if DCs everywhere have finally trained their players to be disciplined and ignore the eye candy, which, I would think, does a great deal of harm to Gus's offense. If that is the case, then my question is where do we go from here?

That is where tempo becomes important. Hurrying into formation gives you the benefit of seeing the defense, but it also gives the defense the benefit of seeing you. Of course, execution is critical regardless of how fast you are operating an offense, and execution has certainly been lacking. That said, opposing DC's knew half-way through 2013 what Auburn was going to do, but that did not help any of them stop it consistently. FSU's DC had a month to focus on Auburn exclusively, and they still gave up 450 yards and 31 points.

Some say that Gus' offense requires a dual-threat QB, and I disagree. I think it can get away with being mostly one-dimensional with a dual-threat QB, a great RB, good tempo, and good execution. In the absence of a dual-threat QB or a great RB, I think it needs a good quick passing game, and that is what everyone was expecting it to have. In other words, without a dual-threat QB, Gus' offense should look more like Texas A&M's than 2013 Auburn.

Totally agree, Strychnine.

Students of college football are not surprised the almost unstoppable PART of recent Gusball has hit a speed bump. Remember the wishbone? Unstoppable for about 3 years. Flexbone added another decade to that era. The hurry up, no huddle is nothing new (it was even used a lot by Sam Wyche to get the Cinci Bengals in a Super Bowl long ago c. 1982). Remember the fun & gun? FSU found out if they illegally interfered with receiver timing EVERY PLAY the officials would not call interference every play. Bye bye fun & gun. Pigeonhole all you like, Gus' O has NEVER been that one dimensional. Like every coach on the planet though he must have execution which is - shocker - a combo of player & coaching.

fwiw, if you must deal in absolutes, Gusball in virtually every permutation counts on and seems to be centered around building up to occasional big plays. Take them away and it changes the gameplan a LOT.

This is the Rhett offensive experience IMO..

I agree 100%, however, what happens when, at the end of the year we are terrible offensively, does Gus get rid of Rhett or does he try to stick we him until he sinks Gus?

Students of college football are not surprised the almost unstoppable PART of recent Gusball has hit a speed bump. Remember the wishbone? Unstoppable for about 3 years. Flexbone added another decade to that era. The hurry up, no huddle is nothing new (it was even used a lot by Sam Wyche to get the Cinci Bengals in a Super Bowl long ago c. 1982). Remember the fun & gun? FSU found out if they illegally interfered with receiver timing EVERY PLAY the officials would not call interference every play. Bye bye fun & gun. Pigeonhole all you like, Gus' O has NEVER been that one dimensional. Like every coach on the planet though he must have execution which is - shocker - a combo of player & coaching.

fwiw, if you must deal in absolutes, Gusball in virtually every permutation counts on and seems to be centered around building up to occasional big plays. Take them away and it changes the gameplan a LOT.

I'm absolutely not dealing in absolutes.

;)

I also do believe that defenses will in general figure out particular offenses, given enough time. I'm just not convinced that it's happened yet with the HUNH. It does appear that Gus is worried they have, though.

;)

I also do believe that defenses will in general figure out particular offenses, given enough time. I'm just not convinced that it's happened yet with the HUNH. It does appear that Gus is worried they have, though.

The HUNH is not an offense in itself, it is just the philosophy of basically running a two minute offense for the entire game. HUNH can be used when running the Air Raid, Pro-Style, or the Wing-T. A defense cannot figure out HUNH and then stop it, they can only try to stop whatever offense you are running at that pace. The only defense of HUNH is conditioning your team to defend an offense that is running a perpetual two minute drill.

Canuck is also right, Gus does indeed believe in building up to big plays that bust the drive and/or game open.

;)

The HUNH is not an offense in itself, it is just the philosophy of basically running a two minute offense for the entire game. HUNH can be used when running the Air Raid, Pro-Style, or the Wing-T. A defense cannot figure out HUNH and then stop it, they can only try to stop whatever offense you are running at that pace. The only defense of HUNH is conditioning your team to defend an offense that is running a perpetual two minute drill.

Canuck is also right, Gus does indeed believe in building up to big plays that bust the drive and/or game open.

Agree with everything you just said (and with Canuck about the big plays). Sorry if it didn't seem like either was the case.

;)

Agree with everything you just said (and with Canuck about the big plays). Sorry if it didn't seem like either was the case.

Getting back to the OP, Gus' offense is his evolved version of the Wing-T that he started using at Arkansas high schools. While his offense has evolved, the influence of Tubby Raymond will likely always stick. A previous poster mentioned defenses being disciplined to ignore the eye candy, and that is absolutely critical when defending the Wing-T as the misdirection is there specifically to make you bite on it. It is more difficult for the defense to stay disciplined when there is misdirection AND furious tempo pounding away at them.

I have never seen the Auburn offense fully commit to HUNH with Gus as OC or HC. It has always been get a first down or two, then mash the accelerator, seize the momentum, and get the big play. Considering that 2010 and 2013 would have been the offenses to truly commit to HUNH with if you were going to, I do not believe that Gus intends to implement it fully. I have no real idea why that is, and would be very interested in the answer if he chose to discuss it with anyone.

So far, we have seen a lovely combination of bad execution and slow tempo. I suspect that the former has much to do with the latter. That said, I like discussing these kinds of things with people that actually want to discuss it (like yourself), instead of people that want to rant about "playcalling" and how much the coaches suck (a growing segment of this board).

;)/>

Getting back to the OP, Gus' offense is his evolved version of the Wing-T that he started using at Arkansas high schools. While his offense has evolved, the influence of Tubby Raymond will likely always stick. A previous poster mentioned defenses being disciplined to ignore the eye candy, and that is absolutely critical when defending the Wing-T as the misdirection is there specifically to make you bite on it. It is more difficult for the defense to stay disciplined when there is misdirection AND furious tempo pounding away at them.

I have never seen the Auburn offense fully commit to HUNH with Gus as OC or HC. It has always been get a first down or two, then mash the accelerator, seize the momentum, and get the big play. Considering that 2010 and 2013 would have been the offenses to truly commit to HUNH with if you were going to, I do not believe that Gus intends to implement it fully. I have no real idea why that is, and would be very interested in the answer if he chose to discuss it with anyone.

So far, we have seen a lovely combination of bad execution and slow tempo. I suspect that the former has much to do with the latter. That said, I like discussing these kinds of things with people that actually want to discuss it (like yourself), instead of people that want to rant about "playcalling" and how much the coaches suck (a growing segment of this board).

Amen lol. Have a discussion with those curious without other people chiming in (save Chimes, of course) and asking you if you're stupid or if you even watch the games. Why can't we just have a calm, rational discussion anymore?

Well said

Well said

Yes it should look more like Texas A&M's than 2013 Auburn. In the OP i noted that Gus had a 5,000 yard passer at Tulsa, and he's recruited Pocket Passing QB's (Johnson, White, Queen). It seemed like everything was moving towards being more balanced...

Yet we are not doing that. We are still determined to run the ball at all costs. It's like Gus's head was inflated by 2013 and he thinks he can run on anybody no matter what. We don't have the QB to run a consistent read option. Why didn't we recruit this if that's what Gus still wants to do? We have the QB to have a Quick passing game to counter the run defense like you said, but the coaches won't commit to letting Sean throw. This is the big mystery to me, and it seems at this point that the offensive staff is grasping at anything for an answer.

Well said

Yes it should look more like Texas A&M's than 2013 Auburn. In the OP i noted that Gus had a 5,000 yard passer at Tulsa, and he's recruited Pocket Passing QB's (Johnson, White, Queen). It seemed like everything was moving towards being more balanced...

Yet we are not doing that. We are still determined to run the ball at all costs. It's like Gus's head was inflated by 2013 and he thinks he can run on anybody no matter what. We don't have the QB to run a consistent read option. Why didn't we recruit this if that's what Gus still wants to do? We have the QB to have a Quick passing game to counter the run defense like you said, but the coaches won't commit to letting Sean throw. This is the big mystery to me, and it seems at this point that the offensive staff is grasping at anything for an answer.

I don't think Gus, or anyone else on the offensive staff (or anyone anywhere for that matter), was expecting JJ to be benched after game 3, or there to be a pressing need to get anything positive going consistently in the passing game, or a freshman QB to be starting game 4. I'm pretty sure the way this season has progressed thus far has taken a big dump on everyone's mojo. I am hoping this little breather on the schedule gives enough time for the coaches and players to work some things out. Championship goals are out, time to focus on the little things.

That said, I definitely have some questions about what is going on.

If you are curious about "what is" Gus Malzahn's offense, you should read the stuff Chris Brown (Grantland, Smart Football) has written.

Malzahn was the defensive coordinator at Hughes High School in Arkansas, when he was promoted to Head Coach. Hughes was where Malzahn started creating his offensive philosophy. Malzahn combined a pass-oriented aspects of spread offenses with plays and blocking schemes from the old Wing-T. What Malzahn created was one of the first "Power Spread" offenses, and arguably the first playbook to successfully use power running from a shotgun formation.

The Wing-T is where Malzahn's offense gets the H-Back, the WR orbit motions, and the jet sweep motions. The H-Back replaces the Wingback, the slot motions replace the wingback motions, etc. The real differences are the QB is in the shotgun, there is one RB, and there are two or three WRs.

To open up the running game, much of Malzahn's passing game is focused on the vertical threat. A spread offense seeks to spread the defense from sideline to sideline, but also from the line of scrimmage to the goal line. Vertical passing routes are used to pull defensive coverage away from the line of scrimmage to open up underneath routes as well as benefit the running game. It is a different passing game from the short yardage, quick pass, ball control passing plays seen in West Coast offenses.

Gus added the no-huddle concept to this playbook. It made sense. When you can power run out of a shotgun spread, you have an any down offense. There is not a need to constantly substitute. I would note, this power spread offensive approach is very similar to what Urban Meyer runs.

For short yardage situations where more blocking was needed, Malzahn implemented a Wildcat package. The Wildcat is supposed to be done out of a standard personnel set (QB, RB, HB, TE, 2 WRs) without the need to substitute. The idea is to get more blocking by using an unbalanced line, move the QB to a WR spot, use one WR as a jet sweep running threat, and the other RB as a direct-snap player similar to the old single-wing. This is how Malzahn used Darren McFadden at Arkansas.

This was Malzahn's offense until he reached Tulsa. At Tulsa, Malzahn was named co-offensive coordinator along with Tulsa O-Line coach Herb Hand. Herb Hand had previously worked for Rich Rodriguez. Rodriguez is credited with inventing the shotgun zone read option. It was at Tulsa the option game was integrated into Malzahn's playbook.

The broadness of Malzahn's running playbook allow him to adapt it to different QBs. When he has a dual-threat QB, the option plays become primary and power plays become constraint plays to keep the defense honest. When he has a passing QB, the power plays become primary and the option plays become constraint plays.

To be successful, Malzahn's offense needs a strong offensive line, because the power running plays and the inside option running plays have to produce. Malzahn also needs a successful vertical passing game to keep the defensive pressure off of the run. This is critically important with a passing QB, as the power running game is critical.

2010 and 2013 were successes, but also were aberrations of Malzahn's expectations. He was able to get a high level of offensive production without needing to pass as much as he would have expected. He wanted to throw more in 2013, but the option running game went to the next level and provided the offensive production required.

If there are takeaways they are this: The O-Line is critical; and either a successful vertical passing game or a dual-threat QB is necessary. I think our O-Line has struggled most of this season, we have passing QBs, and we have not had success in the vertical passing game.

If you are curious about "what is" Gus Malzahn's offense, you should read the stuff Chris Brown (Grantland, Smart Football) has written.

Malzahn was the defensive coordinator at Hughes High School in Arkansas, when he was promoted to Head Coach. Hughes was where Malzahn started creating his offensive philosophy. Malzahn combined a pass-oriented aspects of spread offenses with plays and blocking schemes from the old Wing-T. What Malzahn created was one of the first "Power Spread" offenses, and arguably the first playbook to successfully use power running from a shotgun formation.

The Wing-T is where Malzahn's offense gets the H-Back, the WR orbit motions, and the jet sweep motions. The H-Back replaces the Wingback, the slot motions replace the wingback motions, etc. The real differences are the QB is in the shotgun, there is one RB, and there are two or three WRs.

To open up the running game, much of Malzahn's passing game is focused on the vertical threat. A spread offense seeks to spread the defense from sideline to sideline, but also from the line of scrimmage to the goal line. Vertical passing routes are used to pull defensive coverage away from the line of scrimmage to open up underneath routes as well as benefit the running game. It is a different passing game from the short yardage, quick pass, ball control passing plays seen in West Coast offenses.

Gus added the no-huddle concept to this playbook. It made sense. When you can power run out of a shotgun spread, you have an any down offense. There is not a need to constantly substitute. I would note, this power spread offensive approach is very similar to what Urban Meyer runs.

For short yardage situations where more blocking was needed, Malzahn implemented a Wildcat package. The Wildcat is supposed to be done out of a standard personnel set (QB, RB, HB, TE, 2 WRs) without the need to substitute. The idea is to get more blocking by using an unbalanced line, move the QB to a WR spot, use one WR as a jet sweep running threat, and the other RB as a direct-snap player similar to the old single-wing. This is how Malzahn used Darren McFadden at Arkansas.

This was Malzahn's offense until he reached Tulsa. At Tulsa, Malzahn was named co-offensive coordinator along with Tulsa O-Line coach Herb Hand. Herb Hand had previously worked for Rich Rodriguez. Rodriguez is credited with inventing the shotgun zone read option. It was at Tulsa the option game was integrated into Malzahn's playbook.

The broadness of Malzahn's running playbook allow him to adapt it to different QBs. When he has a dual-threat QB, the option plays become primary and power plays become constraint plays to keep the defense honest. When he has a passing QB, the power plays become primary and the option plays become constraint plays.

To be successful, Malzahn's offense needs a strong offensive line, because the power running plays and the inside option running plays have to produce. Malzahn also needs a successful vertical passing game to keep the defensive pressure off of the run. This is critically important with a passing QB, as the power running game is critical.

2010 and 2013 were successes, but also were aberrations of Malzahn's expectations. He was able to get a high level of offensive production without needing to pass as much as he would have expected. He wanted to throw more in 2013, but the option running game went to the next level and provided the offensive production required.

If there are takeaways they are this: The O-Line is critical; and either a successful vertical passing game or a dual-threat QB is necessary. I think our O-Line has struggled most of this season, we have passing QBs, and we have not had success in the vertical passing game.

I agree. You also noted that most of Malzahn's packages do not require substitution, which let's him go fast. He also wants to throw the ball down the field more to open up the power running game. We aren't doing those things, and Gus has not adjusted very well so far this season. Hopefully this Bye Week will give him a chance to adjust this offense to be successful. I think 2010 and 2013 made Gus think we can be one-dimensional and and run on any team any week. That can't happen in the SEC every year...teams adjust, and not with the QBs he's recruited. It just makes me wonder what his plan was for this offense this year with the personnel we have vs. what he's trying to run.

You can also add the "Chris Todd" element to his offense. He adapted more to the west coast passing attack.

Todd and Deep threat do not mix. Medium threat maybe. Didnt he have shoulder issues or something during his college career?

Archived