13-0 is Very Rare

Proud Tiger

I didn't realize until reading the paper this morning how rare 13-0 is. Only three SEC teams have ever done it, us, Tennessee and bama.

That's exactly why it hurts even more when your 13-0 undefeated SEC team isn't even considered a co-champion. I'm glad it's over. I'm glad we finished undefeated so all the talking-heads can't say "told you so".

icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif

What about teams that went 12-0? Before the SECCG, playing a 12 game season did happen, but was not a regular thing. So 12-0 was often the best a team could get - like Utah this year. I know, you could go even further back in time before an 11 game season was regular. So let's not bother.

What about teams that went 12-0?  Before the SECCG, playing a 12 game season did happen, but was not a regular thing.  So 12-0 was often the best a team could get - like Utah this year.  I know, you could go even further back in time before an 11 game season was regular.  So let's not bother.

136485[/snapback]

Do you have a point or just giving reasons why 13-0 is rare as I said? :D

Things do change. Most of today's NCAA individual records are held by guys who wouldn't have broke the old record except for getting to play more games. But they are now the new record and 13-0 is the new standard which very few teams will achieve.

Kind of like comparing the 1984 poll of BYU winning the NC without [playing a ranked opponent or the 83 poll where we played 9 bowl teams and 4 top 10 teams

Of course not, PT :D. I'm not arguing, just going off on a tangent. I know things change, it just means there's an asterisk. Like in the NFL too, when they went from a 14-game season to a 16-game season. In baseball, they might have to add an asterisk for the steroids users :P . Yes yes, 13 games is the new standard, and yes, 13-0 is very rare.

Let's not get started on the old way of rankings. When you look at those cases, the BCS looks like the great answer, until cases like this year, last year, the year Nebraska went and got killed, etc.

Where's the damn playoff already!

Archived