We doused the field

PatBoCamRob

I know everyone keeps talking about Saban getting a sideline warning. I was at the game and in the first half we actually recieved a sideline warning first.

I never saw an official sideline warning given to the Auburn bench.

Me either. I wasn't there but that sort of thing gets announced on tv and it did not.

Boom was back in form yesterday and I expect the "discussion" that got the flag was not the first time the ref had told him to knock it off. No matter how justified the complaining was, CWM set a bad example and hurt the team with his antics.

JMO but if a player had done something like that (mouthing off) Gus or Wil would have reamed him out. I hope coach apologized to his defense for putting them in a bad situation.

Apologize for what?!?!? Taking up for his players?!?!?

That flag should've never been thrown. There was a down time in the game, because they were tending the center judges injury... And for christ's sake they just blew 2 calls on the previous play! Good referees are taught to realize these things... You should take you're ass chewing, give nothing more than a warning and move on!

It was by all accounts a chicken-s&@t call. You don't asses 30 yards of penalties... not in a game like that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! The fans are complaining because we soaked the field so their runners and receivers would slip and slide. Am I wrong, but didn't we play on the same field. I saw one post where the guy accused us of putting some kind of oil on the grass. They even complained about the sun being in their eyes in the 1st half. What a bunch of spoiled toothless brats.

I suggest avoiding Al.com like the plague.

Oh, I never go there. It was reposted on twitter.

same thing. Twitter is a sewer.

Rudy did tackle the qb a couple steps out of bounds. I guess will couldn't see from across the field. I knew instantly that was a flag.

He was concerned just as much with our players getting mugged. The penalties should've been offset.

Rudy did tackle the qb a couple steps out of bounds. I guess will couldn't see from across the field. I knew instantly that was a flag.

That's not true... Should've been a no-call.

As the proud son of a college official, let me justify my way of thinking... That was the head-linesman's call, because he has the boundary. He was in position to Throw the flag (watch the film), but he didn't. It was clean.

The flag was thrown by the center-judge, who was trailing the play. He was completely out of position to make that call, thus why it wasn't his call to make!

That whole sequence of events was blown from the get go.

Lawson got hugged, literally bear-hugged by #76. no call.

Rudy Ford hit out of bounds. bad call.

Unsportsmanlike penalty. bad call.

30 yards of penalties that should've never been. That/those flags would've NEVER been thrown against alabama.

As the proud son of a college official, let me justify my way of thinking... That was the head-linesman's call, because he has the boundary. He was in position to make that call (watch the film), but he didn't. It was clean.

The flag was thrown by the center-judge, who was trailing the play. He was completely out of position to make that call, thus why it wasn't his call to make!

30 yards of penalties that should've never been. That/those flags would've NEVER been thrown against alabama.

well, one just like the Rudy call got thrown a bit later....might have been a make-up call ? but AU earned both flags on the play you question and the player and CWM should have known better. Coach cost his team that 15 yards....not the ref.

As the proud son of a college official, let me justify my way of thinking... That was the head-linesman's call, because he has the boundary. He was in position to Throw the flag (watch the film), but he didn't. It was clean.

You are correct. The linesman makes that call not the center judge who is not in position any more than Muschamp was to make the call. There were many muggings that went uncalled but that particular mugging of Lawson was the most glaring. Watch the uat tackles on running plays. Their hands are outside the shoulder pads guiding the defender away from the ball carrier. That is holding. Or they have their hands under the arms of the defender trying to lift or guide them away. That is holding. It happens more than not with them. Never or seldomly gets called.

As the proud son of a college official, let me justify my way of thinking... That was the head-linesman's call, because he has the boundary. He was in position to make that call (watch the film), but he didn't. It was clean.

well, one just like the Rudy call got thrown a bit later....might have been a make-up call ? but AU earned both flags on the play you question and the player and CWM should have known better. Coach cost his team that 15 yards....not the ref.

Nope...

Auburn's record against Alabama in Jordan-Hare now stands at 8-5. And yes, Muschamp knows better then to lose his cool with the refs. The refs will always win.

I was thinking how could the guy who threw the flag even have an angle required to see

By the time Ford finished tackling the runner about 10 yards out of bounds half the refs were right there....and of course the side judge was laying on his back. ....so did not obstruct the view.

The guy that fell is the only guy who threw the flag. He was trailing the play before he fell. He didn't have that side angle. And you're greatly exaggerating the ten yards out of bounds part

agree

As the proud son of a college official, let me justify my way of thinking... That was the head-linesman's call, because he has the boundary. He was in position to Throw the flag (watch the film), but he didn't. It was clean. I totally disagree. That was not solely the head linesman's call. In that situation the linesman is responsible for getting the spot when the runner steps out of bounds. The other officials are the ones "cleaning up" behind the play. There's no way the head linesman could even see that hit if he's doing his primary job which is to get the spot.

The flag was thrown by the center-judge, who was trailing the play. That's exactly how its supposed to be. He's cleaning up the stuff that happens behind the play He was completely out of position to make that call, thus why it wasn't his call to make! No he was not out of position. He was in perfect position to make that call. If he was out of position as you say, then he wouldn't have ended up sliding down out of bounds. He was in a PERFECT position to make the call as he was hustling to the sidelines to do his job. It's the players responsibility to know where they are on the field. Rudy should know better and never had to hit him at all.

Lawson got hugged, literally bear-hugged by #76. no call. I don't disagree here. Lots of our players were held most of the night. They really need to fix this problem because I see it in most every game

Rudy Ford hit out of bounds. bad call. NO. Great call. It's the players responsibility to know where they are on the field. Rudy knew the QB was going out of bounds and went low on him anyway. Easy call and right call.

Unsportsmanlike penalty. bad call. Wrong again. I'm not sure how you can even draw this conclusion. Several things come into play here. 1. We have no idea what has been said from assistants or anybody else on the sidelines over the course of the game. You need to consider the fact that the side judge had likely warned Muschamp earlier in the game. We also have no idea what was said that drew the flag since we aren't down on the field. Unless you know exactly what was said over the course of the entire game then there's no way anybody here can make a determination on whether that was a good call or not. Most here say both were bad calls because they were against Auburn and nothing more.

30 yards of penalties that should've never been. That/those flags would've NEVER been thrown against alabama. That's totally not true. In fact there was a personal foul called on uat later in the game.

As the proud son of a college official, let me justify my way of thinking... That was the head-linesman's call, because he has the boundary. He was in position to Throw the flag (watch the film), but he didn't. It was clean. I totally disagree. That was not solely the head linesman's call. In that situation the linesman is responsible for getting the spot when the runner steps out of bounds. The other officials are the ones "cleaning up" behind the play. There's no way the head linesman could even see that hit if he's doing his primary job which is to get the spot.

The flag was thrown by the center-judge, who was trailing the play. That's exactly how its supposed to be. He's cleaning up the stuff that happens behind the play He was completely out of position to make that call, thus why it wasn't his call to make! No he was not out of position. He was in perfect position to make that call. If he was out of position as you say, then he wouldn't have ended up sliding down out of bounds. He was in a PERFECT position to make the call as he was hustling to the sidelines to do his job. It's the players responsibility to know where they are on the field. Rudy should know better and never had to hit him at all.

Lawson got hugged, literally bear-hugged by #76. no call. I don't disagree here. Lots of our players were held most of the night. They really need to fix this problem because I see it in most every game

Rudy Ford hit out of bounds. bad call. NO. Great call. It's the players responsibility to know where they are on the field. Rudy knew the QB was going out of bounds and went low on him anyway. Easy call and right call.

Unsportsmanlike penalty. bad call. Wrong again. I'm not sure how you can even draw this conclusion. Several things come into play here. 1. We have no idea what has been said from assistants or anybody else on the sidelines over the course of the game. You need to consider the fact that the side judge had likely warned Muschamp earlier in the game. We also have no idea what was said that drew the flag since we aren't down on the field. Unless you know exactly what was said over the course of the entire game then there's no way anybody here can make a determination on whether that was a good call or not. Most here say both were bad calls because they were against Auburn and nothing more.

30 yards of penalties that should've never been. That/those flags would've NEVER been thrown against alabama. That's totally not true. In fact there was a personal foul called on uat later in the game.

This is all your opinion...

I'm glad you took time out of your morning to read a rule book... But unfortunately, a lot more goes in to being an official than the rule book... like judgement. It's is at the officials discretion to call a hold, or in this case, a "late hit".

They (the officials) established early on in the game, that they were obviously gonna let the kids play... which is fine with me. But, if this is the case, you can't throw a ticky-tack late hit... In the 4th quarter of a one posetion game. As an official, you don't want to be 'that guy'.

And yes, that was most definitely the line-judge's (or in this case, the head-linesman's) call. The center-judge was 20 yards behind the play. He was in no position to make that call, because there was no way he could tell where contact was initiated. So, no, it wasn't his call to make.

Either way, I work with one of the side-judges from last night. I'll pick his brain a little bit. Though, he realizes he's part of one of the more controversial crews in the SEC.

Auburn's record against Alabama in Jordan-Hare now stands at 8-5. And yes, Muschamp knows better then to lose his cool with the refs. The refs will always win.

Does your husband always win the argument, and now you know not to lose your cool w him. He is not always right you know, and its ok to make your point to him.

I'm glad you took time out of your morning to read a rule book... But unfortunately, a lot more goes in to being an official than the rule book... like judgement. It's is at the officials discretion to call a hold, or in this case, a "late hit".

They (the officials) established early on in the game, that they were obviously gonna let the kids play... which is fine with me. But, if this is the case, you can't throw a ticky-tack late hit... In the 4th quarter of a one posetion game. As an official, you don't want to be 'that guy'.

And yes, that was most definitely the line-judge's (or in this case, the head-linesman's) call. The center-judge was 20 yards behind the play. He was in no position to make that call, because there was no way he could tell where contact was initiated. So, no, it wasn't his call to make.

Either way, I work with one of the side-judges from last night. I'll pick his brain a little bit. Though, he realizes he's part of one of the more controversial crews in the SEC.

You're arguing with an experienced football referee who knows the rule book inside and out. People think WT likes to take up for refs, but he will call an official out on a bad call.

You're arguing with an experienced football referee who knows the rule book inside and out. People think WT likes to take up for refs, but he will call an official out on a bad call.

I'm not arguing... I made an original statement, and he responded to me with his opinion. Wouldn't really call that arguing. He has an opinion... I have an opinion. Not that big of deal.

I'm not arguing... I made an original statement, and he responded to me with his opinion. Wouldn't really call that arguing. He has an opinion... I have an opinion. Not that big of deal.

it is a fact that the tackle was obviously well out of bounds. He didn't initiate contact until the ball carrier was already out. I don't know or care whose call that is, that is what happened.

And yes, that was most definitely the line-judge's (or in this case, the head-linesman's) call. Not when the head linesman is responsible for the ball carrier. The clean up official behind the play is going to be the one that gets secondary contact most every time. The most important thing the Head Linesman has to do in that situation is GET THE SPOT. That's why there's 8 officials on the field and not just 4 or 5. The center-judge was 20 yards behind the play. He was in no position to make that call, because there was no way he could tell where contact was initiated. So, no, it wasn't his call to make. He wasn't even remotely close to 20 yards behind the play when the contact happened. He's moving to cover his position. Had he been 20 yards behind the play he never would have slide out of bounds while throwing the flag right behind the play. He was in PERFECT position to make the call. His job is to clean up behind the play and that's exactly what he was doing.

I'm not just pulling stuff from you know where here. I have officiated the game for 27 years. Again, its up to the players to know where they are on the field. Rudy Ford didn't have to hit him at all but when he did the player was already out of bounds.

If he hadn't wrapped up his ankle I don't think it would have been called. But people, take qlasses off, he tackled the guy out of bounds. Rematch the play. The behind the line pass that wasn't reviewed was the bigger mistake and not calling holding. If you go back and watch the game CWM was irate on one of the field goals by bama. He clearly thought that one of the bama guys pulled one of our guys to the ground preventing the attempt to block the kick. This is what I believe led to the penalty later.

And yes, that was most definitely the line-judge's (or in this case, the head-linesman's) call. Not when the head linesman is responsible for the ball carrier. The center-judge was 20 yards behind the play. He was in no position to make that call, because there was no way he could tell where contact was initiated. So, no, it wasn't his call to make. He wasn't even remotely close to 20 yards behind the play when the contact happened. He's moving to cover his position. Had he been 20 yards behind the play he never would have slide out of bounds while throwing the flag right behind the play. He was in PERFECT position to make the call. His job is to clean up behind the play and that's exactly what he was doing.

I'm not just pulling stuff from you know where here. I have officiated the game for 27 years. Again, its up to the players to know where they are on the field. Rudy Ford didn't have to hit him at all but when he did the player was already out of bounds.

agree to disagree then...

but, just so you know, I'm not pullin stuff from you know where either. My dad was a college official for 16 seasons... opinions differ.

And yes, that was most definitely the line-judge's (or in this case, the head-linesman's) call. Not when the head linesman is responsible for the ball carrier. The center-judge was 20 yards behind the play. He was in no position to make that call, because there was no way he could tell where contact was initiated. So, no, it wasn't his call to make. He wasn't even remotely close to 20 yards behind the play when the contact happened. He's moving to cover his position. Had he been 20 yards behind the play he never would have slide out of bounds while throwing the flag right behind the play. He was in PERFECT position to make the call. His job is to clean up behind the play and that's exactly what he was doing.

but, just so you know, I'm not pullin stuff from you know where either. My dad was a college official for 16 seasons... opinions differ.

You are right opinions differ and even opinions of officials differ, that's what makes the job so difficult. But, with all due respect if you haven't been on the field yourself then you really don't get the full picture of how things are. You probably know more than most here but its limited if you haven't been on the field to see it first hand (in an officiating capacity).

It didn't help that Ford was the second player on the scene and that the bama player was already on the way to the ground before he got there.

That second 15 yards against CWM was inexcusable in my view. Watched a bit of replay and CWM was yapping at the ref most of the game and ref just ignored him as long as CWM stayed on the sideline...but he crossed the line coming onto the field. It's good to see his fire but he should know better than to be on the field in an official's face.

You are right opinions differ and even opinions of officials differ, that's what makes the job so difficult. But, with all due respect if you haven't been on the field yourself then you really don't get the full picture of how things are. You probably know more than most here but its limited if you haven't been on the field to see it first hand (in an officiating capacity).

Just echoing what my old man said...

He knows Steve Shaw well... and their opinions differ quite often.

A lot like Steve, my dad could never call AU because he went here. We all know Steve's a bammer.

Archived