Ricardo Speaks on QB Inconsistencies

Weegle777

Yeah I know you usually run to stats try to tell the story but you also have to remember he's playing behind a better line with better wr's and a better running back so yeah his numbers are going to be slightly better. And spare me the blocking back stories, that's just an excuse that was used to save face because they screwed up. Remember the coaches also said they didn't hand cuff SW and they have all the faith in the world in JJ

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I know you usually run to stats try to tell the story but you also have to remember he's playing behind a better line with better wr's and a better running back so yeah his numbers are going to be slightly better. And spare me the blocking back stories, that's just an excuse that was used to save face because they screwed up. Remember the coaches also said they didn't hand cuff SW and they have all the faith in the world in JJ

Yea, because stats are a bad thing... Harris didn't pan out like he was expected to, no, but he also didn't throw the ball directly to the other team frequently enough to lose all faith from his head coach.

As for Jovon, I'm more inclined to believe his blocking is weak than to believe Gus has forgotten how to coach. You can believe what you want.

Yea, because stats are a bad thing... Harris didn't pan out like he was expected to, no, but he also didn't throw the ball directly to the other team frequently enough to lose all faith from his head coach.

As for Jovon, I'm more inclined to believe his blocking is weak than to believe Gus has forgotten how to coach. You can believe what you want.

gus did say bammer started rolling an extra defender in the box so we started passing more. he has said before barber protects better.

Oh so the other stuff I mentioned only matters to SW? In other threads you mentioned he needs a better o line and wr or what not but in this case they don't help Harris stats....

And I imagine Harris didn't but apparently he didn't throw more td's or a much better completion rate either but what does that even have to do with anything? I said that he doesn't do anything better but run the ball to avoid sacks.

Lastly that's the problem you're on such a fan boy level of Gus and SW that if you're not saying they're perfect in your mind that's downing them....I never said that Gus has forgot to coach but clearly JR is in his dog house. Barber is not even a great blocker...I've seen him miss as many as he makes. Also like you say JJ rarely throws downfield why do you need this supposedly stud blocker at hb? As a matter of fact how many blocks have you seen JR miss?

gus did say bammer started rolling an extra defender in the box so we started passing more. he has said before barber protects better.

Lashlee said that. And he says alot of things...what have YOU seen on the field?

Lashlee said that. And he says alot of things...what have YOU seen on the field?

on tv i cant count players in the box. as far as blocking, barber blocked well early but lately i havent noticed much either way. i don't see practice either. i don't know why you split carries in the first half. i would only put barber in when JR needed a breather.

Oh so the other stuff I mentioned only matters to SW? In other threads you mentioned he needs a better o line and wr or what not but in this case they don't help Harris stats....

And I imagine Harris didn't but apparently he didn't throw more td's or a much better completion rate either but what does that even have to do with anything? I said that he doesn't do anything better but run the ball to avoid sacks.

Lastly that's the problem you're on such a fan boy level of Gus and SW that if you're not saying they're perfect in your mind that's downing them....I never said that Gus has forgot to coach but clearly JR is in his dog house. Barber is not even a great blocker...I've seen him miss as many as he makes. Also like you say JJ rarely throws downfield why do you need this supposedly stud blocker at hb? As a matter of fact how many blocks have you seen JR miss?

What does Sean have to do with the conversation? We were talking about Jeremy and Harris. Neither panned out to be a great QB, but Harris was less inclined to throw the ball away. Blatant INTs have very little to do with the line or the receivers. Good receivers can save you from a toss up INT, but several of Jeremy's were thrown straight to the defender. There's no helping with that.

I didn't spend any time counting how many blocks anyone missed. All I know is the coach said Barber is the better blocker, and since he watches them in practice, I'm going to take his word for it. If Barber isn't a great blocker, than Jovon must be awful, because I can guarantee you one thing, Gus isn't going to sit a player who could help us win for part of a game because he's in his doghouse. Players in his doghouse don't play at all. Gus is putting what he believes to be the best players on the field to achieve the plays he is going to call. Unfortunately, we don't currently have the skill players to play from behind.

As to why you need a blocker, when they D starts bringing up the secondary to fill run lanes and you are ending up with 3rd and 4-6, you have to pass. I'm sure Jeremy would have loved to have had better blocking the two times he collapsed under the pressure.

And yes, I am a fan of Gus, because I think he's a great coach and I think it's ridiculous when people say he's blowing games because he's stubborn, petty, or otherwise. As for Sean, there's a big different between being a "fan boy" of a player and just recognizing that he's the best QB on the team and has a lot of potential.

I saw barber get man handled against miss st and saw him get beat San Jose st but I still saw him get most the carries. I saw him miss one the uga game but I don't blame him too much because EVERYBODY was blitzing but still that's the reason they said they took the guy avg ten yards a carry out....Then how they bragged that JR was the best pass protector out of the group you'd think that JR could at the least block decent enough that you don't take him out of the game plan when he's killing a team running.

What does Sean have to do with the conversation? We were talking about Jeremy and Harris. Neither panned out to be a great QB, but Harris was less inclined to throw the ball away. Blatant INTs have very little to do with the line or the receivers. Good receivers can save you from a toss up INT, but several of Jeremy's were thrown straight to the defender. There's no helping with that.

I didn't spend any time counting how many blocks anyone missed. All I know is the coach said Barber is the better blocker, and since he watches them in practice, I'm going to take his word for it. If Barber isn't a great blocker, than Jovon must be awful, because I can guarantee you one thing, Gus isn't going to sit a player who could help us win for part of a game because he's in his doghouse. Players in his doghouse don't play at all. Gus is putting what he believes to be the best players on the field to achieve the plays he is going to call. Unfortunately, we don't currently have the skill players to play from behind.

As to why you need a blocker, when they D starts bringing up the secondary to fill run lanes and you are ending up with 3rd and 4-6, you have to pass. I'm sure Jeremy would have loved to have had better blocking the two times he collapsed under the pressure.

And yes, I am a fan of Gus, because I think he's a great coach and I think it's ridiculous when people say he's blowing games because he's stubborn, petty, or otherwise. As for Sean, there's a big different between being a "fan boy" of a player and just recognizing that he's the best QB on the team and has a lot of potential.

Yeah you're not following. If you're comparing these two qb's and their numbers are pretty close, then you have to acknowledge as well the things you make as excuses for one qb to be excuses for another if it's the same excuses. If Harris is working behind a better o line with better hb's and better wr's then you would expect him to have better numbers wouldn't you? In another thread you said that SW would be better if everybody else would be better right?

You can say whatever you want but that's the third game where they just up and decide that JR isn't good enough to play anymore. I guess we didn't pass in the first half in any of those games....And it's crazy how we just don't put an extra guy in the box like everybody else to make everybody else abandon their running game....everybody else somehow manages to run anyway against us....

Yeah you're not following. If you're comparing these two qb's and their numbers are pretty close, then you have to acknowledge as well the things you make as excuses for one qb to be excuses for another if it's the same excuses. If Harris is working behind a better o line with better hb's and better wr's then you would expect him to have better numbers wouldn't you? In another thread you said that SW would be better if everybody else would be better right?

You can say whatever you want but that's the third game where they just up and decide that JR isn't good enough to play anymore. I guess we didn't pass in the first half in any of those games....And it's crazy how we just don't put an extra guy in the box like everybody else to make everybody else abandon their running game....everybody else somehow manages to run anyway against us....

"everybody else" can pass when you load the box. we cant .

Sean was already better than Harris, and would be even better if his receivers would catch the ball. That's all I have ever said about Sean is that if the receivers would have caught the passes that hit them in the hands, his numbers would be much higher. Our O-Line actually did a respectable job of pass protection, most of the time. Their weakness was run blocking (which would benefit a running QB, which you will find was my argument about the O-Line in other threads). But, again, what does that have to do with how good Harris is? If you want me to say that Jeremy is more accurate than Harris when Jeremy is on, he probably is. It's hard to say because the majority of his "passing yards" were actually rushing yards after a bubble screen. Still, I think if he can ever get out of his own head, he might be a phenomenal QB and is probably far better than Harris. After all, impartial observers of practice thought he was a Heisman candidate... but all of that goes away when you can't be trusted not to throw the ball directly to the other team.

Again, every game where Robinson disappeared, we started focusing on the pass. He's not the first talented back that Gus hasn't trusted in pass protection.

As for us stuffing the box, we never had the good fortune of playing a 1-dimensional team.

Here's a <a style="text-decoration: underline" href="

of Ricardo that includes the questions</a>.

Some Excerpts:

<b>Question</b>: "How big was the quarterback fluctuation? I don't know if you knew it was going to be Jeremy the entire time, but you probably had a better idea than we did."

<b>Ricardo</b>: "Yea, I knew it was going to be Jeremy the whole time, but, that's not the reason why we lost. We just couldn't finish on both sides of the ball, couldn't get it done."

<b>Question</b>: "How frustrating is it that you guys can't seem to find a rhythm when you need it in the 3rd and 4th quarter?"

<b>Ricardo</b>: "Yea, great teams, they always have rhythm on both sides of the ball, especially on offense. If you and the quarterback have a rhythm, then nobody can stop you. If you don't have rhythm with your quarterback, then you can't have rhythm in the game, you can't score, you can't move the ball, you can't do anything."

<b>Question</b>: "Looked like you got open deep a few times and you and Jeremy just couldn't hook up — early down the sideline and then in the corner of the endzone — What happened?"

<b>Ricardo</b>: "I could have made some plays on the ball, but we just weren't in rhythm. If we're not in rhythm, we're not going to make plays. Once we get that rhythm, I feel like we're hard to stop, but we just couldn't get it."

So pretty much what I said...

No, it's not. How many hundreds of passes has jj been able to throw to louis in practice over the last 3 years and in games? He has thrown multiple deep balls this year in practice and in games.

What does it take to get your qb rhythm on? Jj has practiced for 3 years, and been the starter for 7 games this year. He finds his rhythm on half his throws and loses it on the other half, usually when he is under heavier pressure.

We definitely can't find our rhythm. It isn't due to changing qbs. At least not in the bama game. That was jj's 7th start of the season. Ricardo didn't say it was due to qb changes, but jj did.

I AM TALKING ABOUT RICARDO!!!! Wtf ate you talking about???? I said the reporter probably asked him about rhythm that's why he talked about it. Nobody is talking about JJ but you. As far as changing qb's not affecting rhythm I'm not arguing that stupidity anybody who ever coached out played knows it does. Anybody with half a brain knows that it does. That's not saying it's an excuse for jj. His problem are confidence issues

Please sthu

This from the guy who claims he never gets upset? Lol. Relax man. You post like a machine gun, often in incomplete sentences that are easy to misinterpret. I was referring to a post you had earlier in the thread about changing qbs throwing off rhythm, which it does, but as you acknowledge isn't jj's problem, it's confidence or whatever. I thought you were sayin ricardos comments here confirm the lack of rhythm caused by changing qbs is what caused the lack of rhythm, which I disagree with. Then you went all bipolar.

I forgive your extreme rudeness. I hope you've calmed down by now.

Again, every game where Robinson disappeared, we started focusing on the pass. He's not the first talented back that Gus hasn't trusted in pass protection.

As for us stuffing the box, we never had the good fortune of playing a 1-dimensional team.

Multiple posters have told Cole the "common sense above" but he refuses to listen. You would have a better chance trying to defy gravity, than to think Cole is ever going to admit he was dead wrong about JJ or Javon.

Multiple posters have told Cole the "common sense above" but he refuses to listen. You would have a better chance trying to defy gravity, than to think Cole is ever going to admit he was dead wrong about JJ or Javon.

What am I wrong about again ma'am?

Sean was already better than Harris, and would be even better if his receivers would catch the ball. That's all I have ever said about Sean is that if the receivers would have caught the passes that hit them in the hands, his numbers would be much higher. Our O-Line actually did a respectable job of pass protection, most of the time. Their weakness was run blocking (which would benefit a running QB, which you will find was my argument about the O-Line in other threads). But, again, what does that have to do with how good Harris is? If you want me to say that Jeremy is more accurate than Harris when Jeremy is on, he probably is. It's hard to say because the majority of his "passing yards" were actually rushing yards after a bubble screen. Still, I think if he can ever get out of his own head, he might be a phenomenal QB and is probably far better than Harris. After all, impartial observers of practice thought he was a Heisman candidate... but all of that goes away when you can't be trusted not to throw the ball directly to the other team.

Yeah you still don't get it, or you do and you just want to keep talking in circles. I know you think SW is the greatest qb on earth so none surpass him. That's nothing I'm debating with you. I'm saying Harris has a better team how come with him you just want to post numbers but let's say if you just post numbers with a guy you like (SW) then the numbers don't count. I say Harris and JJ both suck they're the same you post a td to int ratio. When somebody mentions SW td to int ratio you say there is so much more top qb than that. Unless SW had a 30/1 ratio....Then you'd highlight that showing he's a good qb

Also how is LSU not a one dimensional team? Lastly look at Henry, fournette, and even the back from sjsu longest runs and you'll see we had 8-9 men in the box....

"everybody else" can pass when you load the box. we cant .

What does that have to do when them still being able to run? We didn't play a team this year that pass to set up the run....it works vice versa. We have two explosive backs on our team and we don't play any of them. You can buy the fairy tale he's the best blocking back we have to he's so bad at blocking we can't put him on the field if you like....

Does anyone remember Jovon mid season admitting he hadn't been focused on the right things and once he did he started seeing PT? I don't suppose there's a chance that since he only focused for a couple weeks on actually improving properly that he hasn't fully prepared with the playbook (pass blocking schemes) and proper technique (blocking 300 pounders without getting plowed)? Not saying it's the case but seeing as he admitted himself that he didn't start focusing on the right things until midway through the season, I'd say it's a possibility and may explain why he is used less in passing situations.

On a related subject, what was the spat between JJ and Jovon all about in the 3Q?

JJ took Jovan's seat when he got up to get some gatorade. JJ said he didn't see Jovan's name on the seat. It escalated from there.

When people are making comments on coaches not playing one player that's better because they like the other player, know nothing about the real world of college football. These coaches know their checks require winning so they do their best. What spectators fail to understand that there is more to being a wide receiver than catching a ball. One player might have great hands but fails to learn the playbook so he is always in the wrong position. A QB might make good moves and throw well but be shorter and get a lot of balls batted down. A rb might be a good runner but not very good at pass protection. The coaches put players on the field that they think give them the best overall chance to win. When people not involved with with everyday practice start trying to determine who the best player is, it is like trying to tell what the scope of the movie is after just the first scene. WDE

To Ricardo's point, I wonder how much time outside of practice that Jeremy spent throwing with the receivers. I remember when Cam was here there were all kinds of stories about him nagging his receivers to go throw with him and how they spent hours just running routes and throwing. That's where rhythm comes from, when you've done it so often that you know what the other guy is going to do.

Unfortunately, when you have a QB competition, the receivers only have so much time to go around, so it makes it that much harder to put in the extra work. Hopefully Gus can sort things out quickly in the Spring, and the starting QB and receivers will take advantage of having all summer to develop a rhythm.

I don't get the impression that JJ was that sort of leader. To be fair, few are.

There were stories written about jj leading the summer workouts and going working with the wr's....But as usual confusion of production and character and intangibles and whatnot

Ricardo needs to shut up. He was far less than average this season.

wde

That's the spirit. I am starting to feel like we get the team we deserve with all this whining.

Ricardo needs to shut up. He was far less than average this season.

wde

That's the spirit. I am starting to feel like we get the team we deserve with all this whining.

Go to Bama boards....

Then explain your answer :lol:

There were stories written about jj leading the summer workouts and going working with the wr's....But as usual confusion of production and character and intangibles and whatnot

Agree...sounds like JJ did all he could to build team cohesion.....and tried to be the leader....but once the game starts, players know who is getting the job done and when things aren't going well, someone has to be the 'reason' for it.

I think the OP is somewhat misleading and just promotes the purpose of the media hack who started this controversy...which was to start a controversy that drew clicks to his site. These guys know how to crib a couple of phrases to create the story they want.

Just to be clear....again....RL did not seek out a reporter to complain about his team mates. IMO, he gave an honest answer as he saw things....and did not blame anyone....just noted what was pretty obvious to anyone watching the games this year.

I hate that he is getting beat up over this because I don't think he deserves it....and despite his problems this season, I'm of the view that he had many, many more positive plays than negative plays....it's just that people seem to remember the negative stuff.

Archived