Carl Stewart/James Joseph comparison

aucanucktiger

Carl will probably be, and James Joseph was, a very good back that had the misfortune of playing shortly after a couple great RBs graduated from AU. Carl & James are striding-type runners...strange to watch after the Bo/Brent or Carnell/Ronnie juke and plow. James had a few good years in the NFL, hopefully Carl can make it too. If we can get a swift RB w/ moves to compliment Carl, I think he'd be a terrific north-south runner (remember, this guy has INCREDIBLE upper body stength). Can't wait to see Brandon and Carl against G Tech. War Eagle!

carl has a long way to go as a blocker and receiver to be in james joseph's class. jj was one of my personal favorites in my childhood. i even followed him to the iggles where he started for a while. i could see carl falling into that mold, but i think the model to watch for his career right now is ronnie brown's. ronnie had a lackluster redshirt frosh year as well. i don't think carl has the same speed that made ronnie special, but he's going to be asked to do a lot of the same things: split out and catch, block from the upback spot, basically make a difference with or without the ball.

i'm really excited to see how the rotation works out with kenny, carl, and tre (i know there are others, but neither of those guys have shown a glimmer of these guys' skills). based purely on what i've seen from them (which at this point in their careers isn't a ton since they have 1 start and 4 years playing experience between them), i'd expect kenny to be the feature guy with carl getting the playing the ronnie back. tre is going to be our all-purpose back getting touches at both spots and spliting out wide a lot b/c he's got good hands and he's great in open space. that's going to be a productive, fun group to watch even if they aren't as immensely talented as caddilac and ronnie.

Archived