Men vs. Vanderbilt - Game Thread

WarTiger

I can understand the issues with match ups and depth, but 9-20 at the FT line is not acceptable. Wouldn't have won the game, but it's one of those thing where the other team has zero effect. Just a poor night all around. I hope Bruce can find a line up that can have some kind of success, even just in spurts.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 7'1 guy was a total game changer for Vandy. He took off like 20-22 potential points off the board in blocks and we don't have anyone close to his size other than Spencer who definitely is like a young Rodman. He should limit his game to dunks, layups right now as he develops his offensive game IMO.

FT shooting hasn't been good since the 90s it seems

With numbers it is hard to have enough people to practice the right way which slows down learning to play as a team. What I look at is individual players what skills they have who is coming in next year and who we are losing next year, Canty and Brown are both ballers they will continue to get better and physically stronger. Williams has potential but because of the issues with his knee it is hard to say if he will be a player for Auburn in the future. Spencer works hard and will get physically stronger will be much better next year but needs a big man next to him so 2 years from now will shine, Dunans can shoot score and is athletic healthy will be a big plus. Dumb question has he played to many games to Redshirt as it would be nice to have him for two more years. Lang has played well and will be a nice piece for next few years as a backup player who can shoot the 3. Two walkons Keim and Blackstock will workout and get better but will only provide a little depth Blackstock because of size will have most upside but don't expect much from him.

We lose Granger, Bowers, and Harris all good players. We replace them with Jared Harper the point Guard that we sorely have missed, Anferne Mclemore a solid Forward who should make loosing Bowers more bearable and we pickup and we pick up Mustapha Heron who is a great SF. What we don't have yet is a big man to replace Harris. Also I believe we have a preferred walkon in Mike Cohen who has some potential.

With at least one true PG possibly three if Shamsid-Deen gets healthy and Cohen walks on and is effective we will be much improved at PG next year. We will have 3 solid SG in Canty, Brown and LANG who can also play SF, Heron, Dunans, and Lang will give us talent and depth at SF. McLemore and Lang will be our PF's as Lang will have to be Mister Versatility and Spencer will be our Center. If Spencer continues to get on foul trouble our inside defense and scoring will disappear we need another big man badly be it Reed a fifth year Senior or a late commitment. We should be better next year but still limited because of our lack of big guys.

What kind of PG is Harper? Is he a score first guy or a playmaker? Because we need a guy who excels in penetrating and kicking or creating for others. We don't have anyone that can do that right now. As Dino was repeatedly saying on the Vandy broadcast, scoring for us is very difficult the way our roster is constructed. Our PG is a shoot first guy and all of our other wings need someone to create open and --key word here -- GOOD shots for them, minus Dunans who is injured.

From what I have read Jared Harper can do both he penetrates and passes and penetrates and scores also a solid shooter. Mike Cohen if he does come as a walk on is a prototypical New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia type point guard if he does come he could be a key piece in the puzzle. Cohen has reputation as a floor general.

From what I have read Jared Harper can do both he penetrates and passes and penetrates and scores also a solid shooter. Mike Cohen if he does come as a walk on is a prototypical New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia type point guard if he does come he could be a key piece in the puzzle. Cohen has reputation as a floor general.

That is good news. Thanks!

Archived