2016 Starting Lineup Projection

CameronCrazy

Do we even know the progress on Holsey? I know i saw on his IG he was doing some running on the treadmill several weeks ago. He was one of my favorites his freshman year. I thought he could've been really good but by him being moved around so much and then getting hurt the first time i don't think we really got to see his full potential. I think it will take time for him to earn a starting spot but i expect him to be heavily in the rotation.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we even know the progress on Holsey? I know i saw on his IG he was doing some running on the treadmill several weeks ago. He was one of my favorites his freshman year. I thought he could've been really good but by him being moved around so much and then getting hurt the first time i don't think we really got to see his full potential. I think it will take time for him to earn a starting spot but i expect him to be heavily in the rotation.

reminds me of aaron savage.

^^^Everything the insiders (WDEWDE for instance) have said has lead me to believe that. Of course, TJ Neal signing with us with only a year of eligibility may be cause for hope.

If SW does not win the starting job in the spring, I expect him to transfer. I do not think someone of his talent will sit around to be a backup. He has had a redshirt year, so he has to burn a year of eligibility to transfer to another FBS school. Better to burn that year in 2016 and have two to play.

QB - JF3

RB - Jovon

HB - Pettway

WR - Slayton

WR - Smith

WR - NCM/Davis

TE - Harris

LT - Smith

LG - Kozan

C - Golson

RG - Horton

RT - James

DE - Lawson

DT - Adams

DT - Russell/Brown

DE - Cowart

WLB - PJ3

MLB - Williams

SLB - Holland

Nickel - Irvin, Jr.

CB - Davis

CB - Dean

S - Ford

S - Roberts

K - Daniel Carlson

P - Kevin Phillips

My guess.

I agree i think that hits the nail on the head. Especially with the defensive side.

No way Tray Matthews doesn't start.

I know there were injuries last year, but at the end of the year Ruffin and Roberts were playing pretty good at safety. I know Countess was starting with Roberts but Ruffin played well. It looked as if Ford was the nickel back.

There is no way they bring in a transfer SR and not start him at LB unless he gets hurt.

Neal will start. I dont think he comes unless he feels he can beat out who is here already.

Surprised no one put him in their SL now...

Neal's stats put our current LB unit's stats to shame. I have high hopes for what TJ Neal will bring to our defense. He will start at MLB in my opinion as he wanted to stay on the interior rather than put him at OLB like Illinois was planning on doing.

I suspect our secondary looks more like the UGA-Bama-Memphis lineup than folks are predicting.

By that, I'd predict Ford to start at Nickel, Roberts at one Safety spot, and Matthews (in place of Countess) at the other. When Tray was healthy, he was good. When he was hurt, he was bad. Late in the year after some rest, he was pretty good again.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Ford move back to a starting Safety role, but I thought he played, by far, his best football at Nickel.

On the defensive line, it certainly wouldn't shock me to see Devaroe Lawrence take Adams or Russell's spot. He was the most disruptive player in the interior rotation by the end of the season. I also don't know what to expect at the "other" DE spot (opposite Lawson). Cowart would be the natural guess, but there are some other interesting options. Kennion has starting experience. It's also possible we should shift to a 3-man front (with Adams or Lawrence shifting to an odd-front DE), and Holland could be the OLB to that side (similar to the way we deployed Cass a fair amount of the time). All that to say, Cowart is going to have to earn it. I like our options.

On the defensive line, it certainly wouldn't shock me to see Devaroe Lawrence take Adams or Russell's spot. He was the most disruptive player in the interior rotation by the end of the season. I also don't know what to expect at the "other" DE spot (opposite Lawson). Cowart would be the natural guess, but there are some other interesting options. Kennion has starting experience. It's also possible we should shift to a 3-man front (with Adams or Lawrence shifting to an odd-front DE), and Holland could be the OLB to that side (similar to the way we deployed Cass a fair amount of the time). All that to say, Cowart is going to have to earn it. I like our options.

The most exciting thing is that it appears that we are going to have depth that can come in with little to no drop-off in quality of play. The last time we had that was 2010 and being able to keep our line fresh was a deciding factor in several of our nail-biters.

FTR Tray Matthews was abysmal last year.

Tray was also playing hurt for most of the year.

yeah I agree. Gotta prove to me this season. I was his biggest supporter preseason last year. But I was disappointed.

I suspect our secondary looks more like the UGA-Bama-Memphis lineup than folks are predicting.

By that, I'd predict Ford to start at Nickel, Roberts at one Safety spot, and Matthews (in place of Countess) at the other. When Tray was healthy, he was good. When he was hurt, he was bad. Late in the year after some rest, he was pretty good again.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Ford move back to a starting Safety role, but I thought he played, by far, his best football at Nickel.

im with you on all points

I'm cautiously optimistic about our defensive depth, but again, I'm hoping we don't have too many seniors starting. If this next year is going to be difficult, I'd like for it to at least pay off. What if we go 6-6 again and are looking at an extremely young team (only 7-8 returning starters) in '17? If it's going to lead to 10+ wins this year I'm all for it, but it looks like 8-4 may be our absolute, best case-scenario dream ceiling.

I see nothing to make me think next year is an more or less likely to be "difficult" than any other season. I don't think there's any guarantee that 2017 is "our year." You just play and try to string wins together. Then, sometimes, you look up and have a special season on your hands. I don't care if it's a senior or a freshman. I want to play the player that gives us the best chance to win that week.

Just saw a picture cowart put on instagram. Dude is getting huge. Really hoping to see him break out this year

Here's mine

QB - JF III (I'm mixed here. Part of me thinks Gus wants to get back to a true dual QB but I could also see a more pass friendly Tulsa type O w/ Sean starting given the WR we landedclass & getting Hand in to coach.)

RB - Jovon Robinson

HB - Kam Pettway (better in space blocker)

WR - Nate Craig-Myers

WR - Jason Smith

WR - Marcus Davis

TE - Landon Rice

LT - Robert Leff

LG - Alex Kozan

C - Austin Golson

RG - Braden Smith

RT - Mike Horton (reportedly best non starter OL last season)

DE - Carl Lawson

DT - Montravious Adams

DT - Dontavious Russell

DE - Byron Cowart

WLB - T.J. Neal

MLB - Tre Williams

CB - Carlton Davis

CB - Jamel Dean

Nickel - Rudy Ford

S - Josh Holsey

S - Tray Matthews

LB on 3 LB sets & pass rush downs - Jeff Holland

K - Daniel Carlson

P - Kevin Phillips

When healthy I thought Pettway was the better HB. I guess I'm alone on this?

You aren't. He is the better in space blocker which will have him starting IMO.

Have to be honest, I thought Roberts and Ruffin were much better at safety last year. Seems that down the stretch, they were on the field most of the time (when Countess wasn't). I know Matthews was banged up, but Ford was usually 5th guy in.

Rudy was the Nickel down the stretch which is why some of us predict he starts there in 2016.

Are we going to be a 3-4 or 4-3 and at times a 4-2-5 defense? I do not see enough LB depth to run a 3-4 except in very certain situations. I think the 4-3 will be the most likely alignment due to LB depth.

Given today's offenses & our talent level @ various positions I'm thinking the 4-2-5 again.

I saw where several posters had Mate Craig-Meyers as a starter but only one had Kyle Davis listed as a starter. I would think enrolling early would give KD an edge. I guess we'll find out.

It will give him an advantage but I don't think it will overcome NCM being better at nearly every aspect of being a WR.

I'm cautiously optimistic about our defensive depth, but again, I'm hoping we don't have too many seniors starting. If this next year is going to be difficult, I'd like for it to at least pay off. What if we go 6-6 again and are looking at an extremely young team (only 7-8 returning starters) in '17? If it's going to lead to 10+ wins this year I'm all for it, but it looks like 8-4 may be our absolute, best case-scenario dream ceiling.

1. You don't coach or play a season ahead before the current season starts. 2. Gus knows his job is on the line & likely can't afford a 6-6 season so he will probably want CKS to play what CKS feels are the best players regardless of academic year.

I see nothing to make me think next year is an more or less likely to be "difficult" than any other season. I don't think there's any guarantee that 2017 is "our year." You just play and try to string wins together. Then, sometimes, you look up and have a special season on your hands. I don't care if it's a senior or a freshman. I want to play the player that gives us the best chance to win that week.

Archived