2016 Starting Lineup Projection

CameronCrazy

Probably depends on alignment, right? James and Holland could be outside backers in a 3-4 set. That's not a stretch.

Only teams we may use a 3-4 against are Bama, UGA, & LSU. Even then I think 4-3 is much more likely based on our roster.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the odds of JF3 being used as a WR/Wildcat QB?

I think the odds are very good that, if he doesn't get the starting job, Gus will have a short yardage/red zone package for him.

Very long as WR from what I'm hearing.

Is that from a lack of hands? I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to take advantage of his speed for a serious deep threat, even if it's for a gimmick play or two.

Is that from a lack of hands? I can't imagine why we wouldn't want to take advantage of his speed for a serious deep threat, even if it's for a gimmick play or two.

No clue on his hands. Just been told the staff is planning to keep him @ QB.

If SW does not win the starting job in the spring, I expect him to transfer. I do not think someone of his talent will sit around to be a backup. He has had a redshirt year, so he has to burn a year of eligibility to transfer to another FBS school. Better to burn that year in 2016 and have two to play.

Not an expert but I'm pretty sure that is wrong. Players don't lose a year of eligibility transferring to another school. A player would sit out a year (like Tray Matthews did when he came here) but he still has the same eligibility status as when he arrived. Sitting out a year didn't change his eligibility class.

If SW does not win the starting job in the spring, I expect him to transfer. I do not think someone of his talent will sit around to be a backup. He has had a redshirt year, so he has to burn a year of eligibility to transfer to another FBS school. Better to burn that year in 2016 and have two to play.

Not an expert but I'm pretty sure that is wrong. Players don't lose a year of eligibility transferring to another school. A player would sit out a year (like Tray Matthews did when he came here) but he still has the same eligibility status as when he arrived. Sitting out a year didn't change his eligibility class.

you get 5 years to play four. Trey didn't use a redshirt at UGA. His year he sat was basically his redshirt used up. If JF3 did redshirt at FSU he will lose eligibility. He has 2 to play 2. His only option is to drop down a division.

Lawson not hard to replace? Our defense was only twice as effective when he was on the field compared to when he was out. He missed most of the year and I still think he was the defensive map for 2015. His biggest holdback has been injuries.

No clue on his hands. Just been told the staff is planning to keep him @ QB.

Everybody keep saying the wr stuff and I was going to suggest does anybody even know if he can catch?

"Everybody keep saying the wr stuff and I was going to suggest does anybody even know if he can catch?"

Is that really important? I don't want to mention any names but, I have seen some WRs who do not consistently catch the ball play more than some who do.

Nope. You're wrong.

If, after 2016, White were to transfer to a FBS school, he would have to sit out 2017. In 2018, he would be a Redshirt Senior.

2014 - Redshirt

2015 - Redshirt Freshman

2016 - Redshirt Sophomore

2017 - Redshirt Junior

2018 - Redshirt Senior

If we end up with SW starting, and JF3 as #2, I believe we should make JF3 the Wildcat guy. I loved KJ, but I think when things went south with the QB race in 2015, and we started giving Jason Smith some practice snaps at QB, we should have moved Jason Smith into the Wildcat role as well, so he could get some game snaps in the QB position.

If a DT QB is practicing with the second team, also giving them game snaps at Wildcat has to help overall.

Probably depends on alignment, right? James and Holland could be outside backers in a 3-4 set. That's not a stretch.

If we went to a true 3-4, Lawson would become a Jack OLB. Cowart may be big enough to play a 2-gap 3-4 DE, but you need 280lb and bigger guys playing DE in a 3-4.

When you look at the modern 4-3, it has evolved to something more in common with the 3-4. The Seattle Seahawks 4-3 defense and and at CWM's 4-3 defense, both take a 4-3 under front and combine it with aspects of the 3-4 with a hybrid Weakside DE/Outside LB.

Another thing is the evolution of the 4-3 for spread offenses is the change of the 4-3's Sam LB to be more like a 3-4's Sam LB, and be more focused on pass support.

Bama has evolved its 3-4 away from two-gap schemes and is playing a fair amount of one-gap, and often has its Jack LB in a three-point stance.

As a result, these "Hybrid 4-3" defenses that play a 4-3 Under with a hybrid WDE and a pass supporting SLB start to look very similar to many 3-4 defenses from a distance.

I wonder if running was coached out of JJ?

No. Even though JJ can run he does not like to. His HS offense was not as similar as most think. AU's dual system is a read option system. When JJ ran in HS it was a design run or scramble on pass plays. He never made any run reads before he got to AU so it's not something he is comfortable w/ or likes.

2015 was a fluke. Next year could be our year. We have more obvious building blocks moving into next year than we did moving into 2010 or 2013. That's kind of the point. Next year, the defensive line looks loaded with talented and experienced players; the special teams should be very good (based on Legatron and a plus return game); the running game should be good with the interior line likely returning in the same roles with a very good lead back. That's a lot to build on. There are a ton of questions, but there is also a lot to like moving into spring ball.

+1

I wonder if running was coached out of JJ?

No. Even though JJ can run he does not like to. His HS offense was not as similar as most think. AU's dual system is a read option system. When JJ ran in HS it was a design run or scramble on pass plays. He never made any run reads before he got to AU so it's not something he is comfortable w/ or likes.

I explained this factoid to countless AU fans leading up to the 2015 season and was adamantly told I was wrong.

In fact, I predicted <300 yards net rushing for Johnson the entire 2015 season on this board and another. On the other board, I was bet everything from alcohol to $1000 to "anything I want." I settled on a steak dinner. Funny, no one took me up on it. And none of them admitted they were wrong. Weird how they scatter like rats on a sinking ship.

meh, I'd agree on Lawson. He could definitely serve as a 3-4 OLB. I'm just saying personnel-wise, he wouldn't have to. Holland and James could easily fit that role/mold as well. My only point was that Paul James might actually play OLB this year, not just hand-on-the-ground DE like many (myself included) expected when he committed.

I suspect Steele is going to keep pushing for the defense to play multiple fronts. Dudes like Lawson, Holland, and James are essential to be able to toggle between even and odd, but so are guys like Adams or Russell who can toggle between 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE. Both did it at times last year, and surprisingly, I thought Russell was actually better on the outside (granted in limited snaps) toward the end of the season.

It's just encouraging to be able to daydream about doing stuff like this with players that you trust as opposed to just hoping the defense isn't awful. The biggest hole I see on the defensive front (at the moment) is that we don't have a true Nose Tackle. Adams, Russell, and Lawrence are all (at their best) penetrating DTs. None of those guys are hold-the-point, run-stuffing NTs. I'm hoping we find a space eater in spring/summer/fall practice. Those guys don't put up stats, but they make the defense worlds better.

It's just encouraging to be able to daydream about doing stuff like this with players that you trust as opposed to just hoping the defense isn't awful. The biggest hole I see on the defensive front (at the moment) is that we don't have a true Nose Tackle. Adams, Russell, and Lawrence are all (at their best) penetrating DTs. None of those guys are hold-the-point, run-stuffing NTs. I'm hoping we find a space eater in spring/summer/fall practice. Those guys don't put up stats, but they make the defense worlds better.

We don't know how good he is yet but, RFr- Juanta'vius Johnson could end up being that kind of NT.

2015 was a fluke. Next year could be our year. We have more obvious building blocks moving into next year than we did moving into 2010 or 2013. That's kind of the point. Next year, the defensive line looks loaded with talented and experienced players; the special teams should be very good (based on Legatron and a plus return game); the running game should be good with the interior line likely returning in the same roles with a very good lead back. That's a lot to build on. There are a ton of questions, but there is also a lot to like moving into spring ball.

I tend to agree. but it all comes down to the QB position I think. Of course I thought JJ would be great last year (I still think he's a great kid fwiw). That's why I think JF3 will probably be the starter. If he's good at the read option (with the speed he supposedly possesses) and can be an adequate passer, then I think he provides the offense the most upside. If JJ or SW improve a lot and win the job, then that's great. I just have my doubts at how consistent we can be with either of them. It will be interesting to watch it develop.

He never made any run reads before he got to AU so it's not something he is comfortable w/ or likes.

This is not correct. Carver had an inverted veer/outside zone read play out of the jet sweep motion. It looks similar to a wildcat play with the jet sweep and a fake handoff, but it was an option play with a mesh with the jet sweep with the playside DE not blocked and the QB reading the playside DE.

They did not run it much, and it probably did not represent the majority of JJ's running yardage, but the play went for two Carver touchdowns against Auburn HS.

meh, I'd agree on Lawson. He could definitely serve as a 3-4 OLB. I'm just saying personnel-wise, he wouldn't have to. Holland and James could easily fit that role/mold as well. My only point was that Paul James might actually play OLB this year, not just hand-on-the-ground DE like many (myself included) expected when he committed.

I suspect Steele is going to keep pushing for the defense to play multiple fronts. Dudes like Lawson, Holland, and James are essential to be able to toggle between even and odd, but so are guys like Adams or Russell who can toggle between 4-3 DT and 3-4 DE. Both did it at times last year, and surprisingly, I thought Russell was actually better on the outside (granted in limited snaps) toward the end of the season.

True, especially about our lack of a true NT. Lawson will never be 3-4 two-gap DE. He is an edge rusher. He is not big enough to be 3-4 DE.

That is the advantage of a 4-3 under hybrid defense with our personnel. We can put Adams as a 1-Technique one-gap DT.

We can make our lack of symmetry into an advantage: Four different players of four different archetypes--shifting, flipping sides, stunting, and fire zone blitzing could really make life difficult for offenses if we leverage them right.

He never made any run reads before he got to AU so it's not something he is comfortable w/ or likes.

This is not correct. Carver had an inverted veer/outside zone read play out of the jet sweep motion. It looks similar to a wildcat play with the jet sweep and a fake handoff, but it was an option play with a mesh with the jet sweep with the playside DE not blocked and the QB reading the playside DE.

They did not run it much, and it probably did not represent the majority of JJ's running yardage, but the play went for two Carver touchdowns against Auburn HS.

It is correct. I watched every game he played in high school. Everything was predetermined for him. No reads. All the movement was litterally window dressing. And I remember those AHS plays well. He was told presnap where to go. No real read.

Interesting...and telling.

I have been beating this drum for too long so I will finally ask here: Can someone with more extensive football knowledge tell me what the advantage of not allowing your QB to make reads, in particular in the option run game, is? I can understand in the passing game with a mentally limited QB telling him "either throw here or take off" to limit game changing interceptions. But isn't an option run play's success directly tied to what the guy being optioned does post-snap? Is the coach just taking the 50/50 guess as to how that player will defend the play once the ball is snapped? Asking because Gus has done this and now I'm hearing it's happening on the HS level. This seems like it is not doing the kid any favors in developing his game.

I have been beating this drum for too long so I will finally ask here: Can someone with more extensive football knowledge tell me what the advantage of not allowing your QB to make reads, in particular in the option run game, is? I can understand in the passing game with a mentally limited QB telling him "either throw here or take off" to limit game changing interceptions. But isn't an option run play's success directly tied to what the guy being optioned does post-snap? Is the coach just taking the 50/50 guess as to how that player will defend the play once the ball is snapped? Asking because Gus has done this and now I'm hearing it's happening on the HS level. This seems like it is not doing the kid any favors in developing his game.

The only reasons I can think of to take the run reads out of the QBs hands is if you want to use dressing but get a certain player the ball. The other is the same you mentioned for pass plays, coaches not trusting the QB to make correct decisions. W/ Gus's trust issues this is especially a possibility when you lose Gus's trust in you like JJ did.

The reality is, reading the D at that speed, making the right decision, and keeping or giving without fumbling is not easy, so you can't just go "Okay, QB who can run, make the reads" and it suddenly works. I, for one, don't believe that Gus is calling who gets the ball in the read option, I just think our QBs aren't making the right read (see examples with Marshall and Newton). Now, when we ran what was designed to look like the option a couple of times last year, I think Gus was calling who got the ball, but I think that was because Jeremy has issues reading a D. In cases like that, it's not a guess, but part of the chess match. You show a defender the same thing, several times, and hope they bite on it when you change it up. You also watch for tendencies and try to exploit them.

Archived