2016 Starting Lineup Projection

CameronCrazy

Have to be honest, I thought Roberts and Ruffin were much better at safety last year. Seems that down the stretch, they were on the field most of the time (when Countess wasn't). I know Matthews was banged up, but Ford was usually 5th guy in.

Ford moved to nickel and played well there. Countess moved to safety as well. I don't think they out played Ford more than it was getting the best players on the field at once

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When healthy I thought Pettway was the better HB. I guess I'm alone on this?

You definitely aren't. Pettway was a much better H-back then Cox. As far as most of the play book. Cox does some things like catching passes better and possibly blocks better on the edge but in the trenches its Pettway by far. Hoping both continue to improve.

these projected rosters do make me feel good about 2017, assuming we have a solid team this year.

Agreed. I thought the same thing going into 2009 (for 2010) and 2013 (for 2014).

The Senior-laden 2010 team obviously worked well.

For 2014, I didn't count on Robinson and Mason to declare early. I still believe had those two stayed, we would have won the SEC and been in the Playoffs.

2017 sets up nicely not just because of the bulk of returning talent, but because of home-field for Georgia and bammer.

We'll lose Jovon, Marcus Davis, Tony Stevens, Lawson, Adams and Ford, but they are recoverable because of the guys behind them, altho Jovon will be the most difficult to replace. Hopefully, Roc, Kerryon and Miller can fill those shoes.

Losing our 2 starting tackles is something I'm really down on. I think we will suffer quite a bit because of it. Losing multi-year starters on the OL is a guarantee for us to have a drop off and we weren't even that great of an OL last season. Not trying to be negative but that's just how I see it. We've never lost a multi-year starter and replaced him the very next year with equal or better production. Maybe the replacement hits that level a couple years down the road but 99.9% of the time it is never immediately following the departure of the guy declaring early or exhausting his eligibility.

I agree with what you are saying but at the same time the three that are coming back should be better with an extra year under their belts.

Yup! Hopefully the boost on the interior we get from last year is enough to offset the dip we'll take on the outside.

Losing our 2 starting tackles is something I'm really down on. I think we will suffer quite a bit because of it. Losing multi-year starters on the OL is a guarantee for us to have a drop off and we weren't even that great of an OL last season. Not trying to be negative but that's just how I see it. We've never lost a multi-year starter and replaced him the very next year with equal or better production. Maybe the replacement hits that level a couple years down the road but 99.9% of the time it is never immediately following the departure of the guy declaring early or exhausting his eligibility.

I agree with what you are saying but at the same time the three that are coming back should be better with an extra year under their belts.

Yup! Hopefully the boost on the interior we get from last year is enough to offset the dip we'll take on the outside.

It should also help that one of our replacements on the line has college experience. Hopefully that will help them get in sync more quickly.

QB-JF3

HB-J-Rob

FB-Cox/Pettway

WR- Jason Smith

WR-Marcus Davis (seems like Quan Bray 2.0)

WR-Kyle Davis

T-Braden Smith

G-Alex Kozan

C-Austin Golson

G-(my upset pick) Jordan Diamond finally breaks through unless Catalina signs

T-Darius James ( Texas transfer for those wondering, former 5-star)

DE-Lawson

DT-Adams

DT-Lawerence

DE- Cowart

LB- Holland

LB-Williams

CB-Carlton Davis

CB-Irvin

CB-Holsey

S-Ford

S-Matthews

K-Carlson

P-Phillips

Ret- Marcus Davis

these projected rosters do make me feel good about 2017, assuming we have a solid team this year.

Agreed. I thought the same thing going into 2009 (for 2010) and 2013 (for 2014).

For 2014, I didn't count on Robinson and Mason to declare early. I still believe had those two stayed, we would have won the SEC and been in the Playoffs.

2017 sets up nicely not just because of the bulk of returning talent, but because of home-field for Georgia and bammer.

We'll lose Jovon, Marcus Davis, Tony Stevens, Lawson, Adams and Ford, but they are recoverable because of the guys behind them, altho Jovon will be the most difficult to replace. Hopefully, Roc, Kerryon and Miller can fill those shoes.

i feel the same. Except I think Lawson will be much harder to replace. Seems like he has that leadership quality that makes everyone else work harder, like having a coach on the field.

I think KJ will end up stealing quite a few carries from Jovon in the early quarters of games and he'll be primed and ready to replace Jovon in '17

i feel the same. Except I think Lawson will be much harder to replace. Seems like he has that leadership quality that makes everyone else work harder, like having a coach on the field.

I think KJ will end up stealing quite a few carries from Jovon in the early quarters of games and he'll be primed and ready to replace Jovon in '17

Its hard to say lawson would be hard to replace. We havnt seen any success on the field from him. Perhaps you are right and his leadership is something to behold. But i think jovon will likely be the hardest to replace, as well

Its hard to say lawson would be hard to replace. We havnt seen any success on the field from him. Perhaps you are right and his leadership is something to behold. But i think jovon will likely be the hardest to replace, as well

i think the success on the field from Lawson is coming. I have more admiration for him than any player i can think of at the moment or at least as much. He has been as mature of a kid as you can ask for. we all see the potential. i hope it comes on the field for us and in the 2017 draft for him.

Are we going to be a 3-4 or 4-3 and at times a 4-2-5 defense? I do not see enough LB depth to run a 3-4 except in very certain situations. I think the 4-3 will be the most likely alignment due to LB depth.

I don't think Lawson will be that difficult to replace. He's good, but he's no Dee Ford.

I don't believe we'll ever see Kerryon be a RB1. Not a between-the-tackles back. Thrives on the edge.

It'll be Roc or Miller as the RB1 in 2017.

If I'm not mistaken I believe Joshua Holsey will return. He will most likely start at corner or safety.

I do hope this is the case. I guess we will have to wait on the NCAA to give him a medical redshirt year and have him back for 2016. This kid can play the defensive backfield as well as any DB in the lineup, and having him back will be a huge get for us and him.

I saw where several posters had Mate Craig-Meyers as a starter but only one had Kyle Davis listed as a starter. I would think enrolling early would give KD an edge. I guess we'll find out.

QB - JF3

RB - Jovon

HB - Pettway

WR - Slayton

WR - Smith

WR - NCM/Davis

TE - Harris

LT - Smith

LG - Kozan

C - Golson

RG - Horton

RT - James

DE - Lawson

DT - Adams

DT - Russell/Brown

DE - Cowart

WLB - PJ3

MLB - Williams

SLB - Holland

Nickel - Irvin, Jr.

CB - Davis

CB - Dean

S - Ford

S - Roberts

K - Daniel Carlson

P - Kevin Phillips

My guess.

I saw where several posters had Mate Craig-Meyers as a starter but only one had Kyle Davis listed as a starter. I would think enrolling early would give KD an edge. I guess we'll find out.

I posted my guess at the depth chart prior to seeing your comment. I have it as either Davis or NCM. I think the reason people are picking him over Davis simply because of NCMs explosiveness. If you have watched the film of both, Davis looks more like Duke Williams playing, while NCM is like USC Reggie Bush with the ball in his hands. He MAKES things happen after the catch much more often than Davis. My comment isn't ment as derogatory towards Davis at all. He is a STUD, and add in the fact he was an EE, and I'm sure it does give Davis a leg up on NCM. Just watching NCM break ankles is a thing of pure beauty.

QB - JF3

RB - Jovon

HB - Pettway

WR - Slayton

WR - Smith

WR - NCM/Davis

TE - Harris

LT - Smith

LG - Kozan

C - Golson

RG - Horton

RT - James

DE - Lawson

DT - Adams

DT - Russell/Brown

DE - Cowart

WLB - PJ3

MLB - Williams

SLB - Holland

Nickel - Irvin, Jr.

CB - Davis

CB - Dean

S - Ford

S - Roberts

K - Daniel Carlson

P - Kevin Phillips

My guess.

I agree i think that hits the nail on the head. Especially with the defensive side.

QB - JF3

RB - Jovon

HB - Pettway

WR - Slayton

WR - Smith

WR - NCM/Davis

TE - Harris

LT - Smith

LG - Kozan

C - Golson

RG - Horton

RT - James

DE - Lawson

DT - Adams

DT - Russell/Brown

DE - Cowart

WLB - PJ3

MLB - Williams

SLB - Holland

Nickel - Irvin, Jr.

CB - Davis

CB - Dean

S - Ford

S - Roberts

K - Daniel Carlson

P - Kevin Phillips

My guess.

I agree i think that hits the nail on the head. Especially with the defensive side.

No way Tray Matthews doesn't start.

QB - JF3

RB - Jovon

HB - Pettway

WR - Slayton

WR - Smith

WR - NCM/Davis

TE - Harris

LT - Smith

LG - Kozan

C - Golson

RG - Horton

RT - James

DE - Lawson

DT - Adams

DT - Russell/Brown

DE - Cowart

WLB - PJ3

MLB - Williams

SLB - Holland

Nickel - Irvin, Jr.

CB - Davis

CB - Dean

S - Ford

S - Roberts

K - Daniel Carlson

P - Kevin Phillips

My guess.

No way Tray Matthews doesn't start.

I've said already besides the QB battle, the Safety battle between Matthews and Roberts will be the next closest battle.

I'm betting there will be particular times where both will be on the field. Perhaps Roberts gets a look at Nickel.

QB - Sean White

If this is the case...with games @ Georgia and @ bammer...we go...at best 6-6 again and Gus is back to ARK St.

I'll take John Franklin, Alex...and wager the farm.

I'm inclined to agree but it's hard for me to see Gus starting JF3 over Sean. I feel like we'll hear the same song and dance about him knowing the offense and having playing experience...growing with another year in the offense...he's going to do great things for us this year...blah blah blah from Gus. However, if Sean struggles in the Clemson game then i can see JF3 playing the 2nd half to try to dig us out of an offensive hole. I hope it's JF3 and feel he gives us the best chance to win more games but i'd be surprised if it is him to start with but i def. think JF3 will be our guy the rest of the way baring injury. With the new WR toys we have i think Gus will want to try to use them with Sean.

While not sold on his arm strength, I'd be fine with White, except I doubt he can make it through an SEC schedule without getting hurt...and there's no way he can be successful just sitting in a pocket every play.

While not sold on his arm strength, I'd be fine with White, except I doubt he can make it through an SEC schedule without getting hurt...and there's no way he can be successful just sitting in a pocket every play.

Often times i was scared for him in the pocket but he's def. a tough kid.

QB-JF3

HB-J-Rob

FB-Cox/Pettway

WR- Jason Smith

WR-Kyle Davis

T-Braden Smith

G-Alex Kozan

C-Austin Golson

DE-Lawson

DT-Adams

DT-Lawerence

DE- Cowart

LB- Holland

LB-Williams

CB-Carlton Davis

CB-Irvin

CB-Holsey

S-Ford

S-Matthews

K-Carlson

P-Phillips

Ret- Marcus Davis

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen. Given that we seem to have lost hope for this season, I hope we can get something out of it and start people like Horton, NCM, Kyle Davis, Dontavius Russell, Ruffin and Stephen Roberts in the place of the starters you mentioned, in order to at least build towards a rebound in 2017.

QB-JF3

HB-J-Rob

FB-Cox/Pettway

WR- Jason Smith

WR-Kyle Davis

T-Braden Smith

G-Alex Kozan

C-Austin Golson

DE-Lawson

DT-Adams

DT-Lawerence

DE- Cowart

LB- Holland

LB-Williams

CB-Carlton Davis

CB-Irvin

CB-Holsey

S-Ford

S-Matthews

K-Carlson

P-Phillips

Ret- Marcus Davis

I sincerely hope this doesn't happen. Given that we seem to have lost hope for this season,

Wait, what?

Archived