2016 Spring Practice - Day 12

RunInRed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DC Kevin Steele

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele says 'we're going to play with extreme effort… We preached it every single day, all day long.'

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele says new linebacker coach Travis Williams 'has done a great job with the guys.'

Auburn's Kevin Steele says his defense controlled explosive plays in last scrimmage. 'If you do that in this league, you've got a chance.'

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele says he doesn't tap the brakes teaching young players. 'We'll go full speed and fast as we can.'

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele on assistant Travis Williams: 'He's a very, very bright guy. He's very, very good teacher.'

@AUGoldMine

Steele says main thing coaches have preached every single day is "extreme effort." Said the players are buying in and results are evident

"When you get effort, you create gang-tackling" -- easier to tackle with several guys than just one, Steele says.

Steele praising some of the younger D-linemen: "Marlon's done some really good things this spring."

Steele "pleasantly surprised" with the progress of the young LB group.

Steele: "We've tried to create a selfless group. ... It's all about the team." Says defensive depth chart means nothing right now.

Steele says he's not "tapping any breaks" when it comes to Marlon Davidson's development. Wants to go as fast as they can with him.

Marlon Davidson has been working at both DE and DT. Moves inside in pass-rushing situations, and he's done well, per Steele.

Steele "In the long haul ... you got to have 18-plus guys" who can be starters.

What does Steele want to see from the defense on A-Day? "Some good quality effort, technique, toughness, tackling snaps."

@AUBlog

Alex Kozan

Auburn's Alex Kozan says Xavier Dampeer has improved at center. 'The positive attitude he's had is great to see. He's done a great job.

@AUGoldMine

Alex Kozan is joining us now. Says Xavier Dampeer has really battled, "especially after his misfortune last year."

Kozan says Austin Golson is athletic enough to play left tackle, just has to work on intricacies, like his kick-slides.

Kozan says @CoachHand hasn't cooked for the O-line yet, but he's been talking up his brisket. He had me at brisket.

Alex Kozan says Marlon Davidson is as good of a freshman he has seen come in here in his five years at Auburn.

@AUBlog

Carl Lawson

Lawson on Marlon Davidson: "He's just coming out here every day and practicing like a pro. ... Consistency in a young guy is hard to find"

Who does Marlon Davidson remind Carl Lawson of? Ken Carter -- Marlon's older brother.

Lawson on Robert Leff: "People don't give Rob a lot of credit, but he's a good tackle."

Carl Lawson expects to play in A-Day this weekend: "That'll be fun -- my first A-Day! That'll be fun for me."

Lawson: "I like to watch film, because you get to see some funny stuff on film -- like guys tripping over themselves."

@AUBlog

Montravius Adams

Last up, Montravius Adams: "Y'all saved the pretty face for last, huh?

Mont Adams agrees with Alex Kozan's sentiment, says Marlon Davidson is "ahead of the curve" as a freshman.

Adams says JF3 is faster than Nick Marshall was when he was here. Calls him the fastest QB he's ever seen.

@AUBlog

Marcus Davis

Auburn receiver Marcus Davis on assistant Kodi Burns: 'He played on a championship team. If we listen to what he has to offer, we'll be OK.'

Receiver Marcus Davis on Auburn quarterback race: 'I've seen guys raising their level… may the best man win.'

@AUGoldMine

Marcus Davis on the QBs: "I've seen guys really raising their level. ... I think they've been giving us a quality competition."

@AUBlog

Auburn WR Marcus Davis is here now. He thinks he has locked down the starting punt returner job now. "I had a solid season there last year."

Auburn WR Marcus Davis said Ryan Davis "plays full speed on every play." He also mentions Darius Slayton as a potential impact player.

Auburn WR Marcus Davis: "I feel like I'm a go-to guy. It's just a matter of putting me into position. I feel like I can make every play."

Auburn WR Marcus Davis on pace: "That's definitely something we want to get back, because, honestly, that's our edge."

@JFergusonBR

I sometimes think Gus tells the players he picks exactly what to say before to up. I don't know why, just feels that way.

If JF3 is faster than Nick, were gonna be fun to watch... We did win games without having to throw the ball, if y'all remember... Let's hope we can get back to that. Only throw 10 times to keep em honest.

If JF3 is faster than Nick, were gonna be fun to watch... We did win games without having to throw the ball, if y'all remember... Let's hope we can get back to that. Only throw 10 times to keep em honest.

Defenses will have time to catch up to the non-balanced, run up to the line and hand it off play calling though. Needs to be more balanced.

I agree. Maybe not exactly what to say but they've definitely been coached

they know what not to say for sure.

I agree. Maybe not exactly what to say but they've definitely been coached

They say just enough for us to be excited, but not enough to actually give away anything.

Whether Franklin is capable of managing the run game the way Marshall did (personally, I doubt it because Nick had incredible ball handling and a connection with Mason), I don't think we could replicate the 2013 offense. We don't have the same talent across the OL. To take the immortal words of Rick Pitino, Greg Robinson ain't walkin' through that door.

^Then what the heck has our OL recruiting been for? If we're going to be starting all upperclassmen, this OL had darn well better be good.

^Then what the heck has our OL recruiting been for? If we're going to be starting all upperclassmen, this OL had darn well better be good.

They'll be good, but there aren't any Once In A Lifetime talents there. Very few other teams have that either. Our opposition is too good for us to be able to win without a balanced attack. If JF3 can learn the offense and improve his passing up to SEC standards, he'll be a big help at QB. If not, he'll be getting a few wildcat snaps in each game.

Wouldn't you like 22 players with Carl Lawson's mind playing the game. He is a bright kid. Wonder if he will ever coach one day?

Whether Franklin is capable of managing the run game the way Marshall did (personally, I doubt it because Nick had incredible ball handling and a connection with Mason), I don't think we could replicate the 2013 offense. We don't have the same talent across the OL. To take the immortal words of Rick Pitino, Greg Robinson ain't walkin' through that door.

Well,if I remember correctly we ran the ball to both sides of the line equally, and while the blocking was great, part of that success can be attributed to both Mason/Marshall. All was needed was for defenses to hesitate to see who was getting the ball, and OL would then be all over their man.

yep

The combination of Marshall, mason, Prosch (last 2/3 of the season), the OL and the WR blocking was absolutely dominant. First sec team to EVER lead the country in rushing, correct?

To compare Franklin to Marshall with the implication we will have 2013 rushing again is an unfair expectation on Franklin

They'll be good, but there aren't any Once In A Lifetime talents there. Very few other teams have that either. Our opposition is too good for us to be able to win without a balanced attack. If JF3 can learn the offense and improve his passing up to SEC standards, he'll be a big help at QB. If not, he'll be getting a few wildcat snaps in each game.

That is a very good observation/distinction. A starter might be serviceable or, good or, great. The differences aren't subtle.

Archived