Tua Tagovailoa

PowerOfDixieland

Don't kill me, but curiosity got the best of me.  How can a 6' 200 lb kid from the island who runs a 4.9 be a 5 star dual threat?  I'm no expert, but if they continue to evolve with the spread and this kid plays any meaningful downs, they could be in trouble.  He will get beat up in the SEC and his throwing mechanics are every bit as bad as Tebow's.  Just don't see how he's a 5  :dunno: ... call me a (crimson) hater.

What do the island have to do with anything? But maybe he had a couple of awesome games at the right time when evaluators were there

Seriously?  How much overall football talent is there in Hawai'i?  Same dilemma with a kid who comes from a smaller school in the south, say a Sammie Coates, and how difficult it is to assess the talent because of who they're going against.   

Maybe the evaluators just wanted to justify going to see him play in person.

46 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Don't kill me, but curiosity got the best of me.  How can a 6' 200 lb kid from the island who runs a 4.9 be a 5 star dual threat?  I'm no expert, but if they continue to evolve with the spread and this kid plays any meaningful downs, they could be in trouble.  He will get beat up in the SEC and his throwing mechanics are every bit as bad as Tebow's.  Just don't see how he's a 5  :dunno: ... call me a (crimson) hater.

Those mechanics really hurt Tim Tebow at Florida :dunno: 

Also, since when is 6' 200 lb small for a true freshman? I'm not saying he deserves to be the #1 DT QB, I really don't know, but you are making a lot of assumptions. Tajh Boyd was 6'0" 205 coming out of H.S. and ran a 4.84 at the combine. He was an absolute nightmare to play against in college. 

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

If those stats are accurate then i would be curious as well as to what the hype is about. 

I don't know about the hype the recruiting sites are giving this guy and the 5* ratings, but talent evaluation is one of the strong points of uat's program.  So, one would assume there's some substance to him.  :dunno:

How good is Sark at developing QBs?

On 2/1/2017 at 1:20 PM, keesler said:

I don't know about the hype the recruiting sites are giving this guy and the 5* ratings, but talent evaluation is one of the strong points of uat's program.  So, one would assume there's some substance to him.  :dunno:

How good is Sark at developing QBs?

I'd say with their recent QB track record they aren't as good evaluating QB talent as the other positions. They've had 4-5* QBs every year and needed a true freshman to play average football this year as their best option.

On February 1, 2017 at 0:14 PM, Barnacle said:

Comparing Alabama to Hawaii....man, never thought I'd hear someone make that comparison haha. 

You don't see how similar they are? ?

19 hours ago, WDEKC said:

I'd say with their recent QB track record they aren't as good evaluating QB talent as the other positions. They've had 4-5* QBs every year and needed a true freshman to play average football this year as their best option.

I guess what I was trying to say is that they've done alright evaluating talent, over all talent at every position.  

When your team has only lost 5 SEC games in 5 years with the likes of McELroy/McCarron/Blake Sims/Coker/Hurts,  then your folks are doing a pretty good job of evaluating talent and putting a winning product on the field.  Who knows how this highly rated QB from the islands will pan out?  They still have Hurts to fall back on and he helped get them to 14 wins as a frosh.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Tua Tagovailoa was rated so high in part due to the fact the raters missed Marcus Mariota, in part because the raters don't put any effort into Hawaii, so they felt they needed to pay attention to Hawaii prospects.

The raters get more grief for missing a prospect than overrating one.

On 2/3/2017 at 10:45 AM, keesler said:

I guess what I was trying to say is that they've done alright evaluating talent, over all talent at every position.  

When your team has only lost 5 SEC games in 5 years with the likes of McELroy/McCarron/Blake Sims/Coker/Hurts,  then your folks are doing a pretty good job of evaluating talent and putting a winning product on the field.  Who knows how this highly rated QB from the islands will pan out?  They still have Hurts to fall back on and he helped get them to 14 wins as a frosh.

Exactly. First, Tua will play QB with a top defense that constantly creates turnovers and scores on a regular basis. Like other BAMA QBs, he will rarely play from behind. He will be protected by multiple future NFL linemen and hand off to future NFL tailbacks, while throwing to future NFL receivers. Jalen Hurts is a slightly better than average QB made into a Heisman contender for all the reasons above. I don't like it either, but it's the way things are right now. 

13 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Just like Miami with Steve Walsh, Ken Dorsey, Craig Erikson and Gino Torreta

great comp. About the same type of character on both teams as well......

Actually, The U has extremely high character in comparison...?

Archived